5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 RAMBOX Cargo Management with soft Folding Tonneau Warning

rammin03

Reaction score
Just and FYI for those who get a truck that has the RAMBOX with cargo management systems and Soft Tri-Fold Tonneau cover wanting to upgrade to the hard folding MOPAR or Bakflip, they are NOT plug and play. The rails are black and are one piece from the tie-down cleats to the top. See picture to understand. The Silver rails did not have the additional block allowing the cover hardware to slide onto it. I purchased the MOPAR Cover Part # 82215225AE and had the parts guy run my VIN to ensure compatibility. Computer said yes but nope! Short of ordering the silver rails at a great expense, there is no way for this MOPAR cover to work with the original factory setup.
20230204_115116.jpg

rammin03

Reaction score
As I suspect the MOPAR OEM covers are made by Bakflip, I went to their website and found a new warning, guess MOPAR computers did not get the message yet..... Bakflip Warning.jpg

rammin03

Reaction score
When you get stuck buying silver rails, you can haggle the price down at the dealership by saying its cheaper online
Did not know this was a thing, guess I will be looking for the silver rails.... At least I can sell the soft cover with rails to someone who likes soft covers!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did not know this was a thing, guess I will be looking for the silver rails.... At least I can sell the soft cover with rails to someone who likes soft covers!
I sold the rails and the cover to someone, since you need the rails to mount it.
I think I got $150 for it, I was shocked (took 4 months to sell)

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
do you only get the black rails when you order the MOPAR cover at time of order? Like how does one actually get silver rails without having to purchase them?

rammin03

Reaction score
do you only get the black rails when you order the MOPAR cover at time of order? Like how does one actually get silver rails without having to purchase them?
The black rails came with the cover as an option from the factory. Its the new (RamBox Cargo Management System) option. They now put black rails in the truck, add the tri-fold soft cover, and no longer give you the RAMBOX Divider. Dealer was good enough to let me keep the divider. I am thinking the silver rails are the same from 2019-2022

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The black rails came with the cover as an option from the factory. Its the new (RamBox Cargo Management System) option. They now put black rails in the truck, add the tri-fold soft cover, and no longer give you the RAMBOX Divider. Dealer was good enough to let me keep the divider. I am thinking the silver rails are the same from 2019-2022
Nope black rails from 2019.

A limited with Ramboxes with the night edition which triggers the forced free soft tri-fold, which needs black rails to mount with Ramboxes.

Did you get the bed utility group?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Any idea on the part numbers needed for the silver rails?
This is what you need for the silver rails.

1675541746648.png
Use the existing push clips when you take out the black ones.
You will need a ton of weatherstripping and possibly silicone to seal the new rails as the silver rails come with nothing. The black rails have a foam seal built into the side that mounts against the truck.

rammin03

Reaction score
Nope black rails from 2019.

A limited with Ramboxes with the night edition which triggers the forced free soft tri-fold, which needs black rails to mount with Ramboxes.

Did you get the bed utility group?
No, I guess not. I know the question will come up, I paid $73k after discounts and negotiation. I made out pretty darn well! I see the cover on the Night Edition now, thanks for pointing that out Darksteel165, I did not pay that any attention.

Attachments

• Vader Sticker Price.jpg
    Vader Sticker Price.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 38

rammin03

Reaction score
This is what you need for the silver rails.

View attachment 150755
Use the existing push clips when you take out the black ones.
You will need a ton of weatherstripping and possibly silicone to seal the new rails as the silver rails come with nothing. The black rails have a foam seal built into the side that mounts against the truck.
Dang, that sounds like more work than its worth. I may just return it and give the aftermarket folks and MOPAR some additional time to make one.

bronco44

Reaction score
When you say the Rambox Divider, do you mean those little plastic walls that are meant to split the Ramboxes? Or do you mean the actual Truck Bed Cargo Divider that should come in the Bed Utility Group?

rammin03

Reaction score
When you say the Rambox Divider, do you mean those little plastic walls that are meant to split the Ramboxes? Or do you mean the actual Truck Bed Cargo Divider that should come in the Bed Utility Group?
The Truck Bed Cargo Divider that should come in the Bed Utility Group, I did not get the Bed Group. Dealer did not understand that I guess, oh well, I got to keep my other one :)

bronco44

Reaction score
The Truck Bed Cargo Divider that should come in the Bed Utility Group, I did not get the Bed Group. Dealer did not understand that I guess, oh well, I got to keep my other one :)
Ohh ok. I should have looked at your window sticker closer. The Truck Bed Cargo Divider is one thing I really want and was worried I wasn't going to get it with the combo I ordered. But sounds like I should still have it 🤞

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, I guess not. I know the question will come up, I paid $73k after discounts and negotiation. I made out pretty darn well! I see the cover on the Night Edition now, thanks for pointing that out Darksteel165, I did not pay that any attention.
That Level 1 just keeps going up and up...you got that for a good price

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You got a good deal on your truck.

I was set to get rid of the Mopar soft tri fold... but after learning about the black vs silver rails and having the truck a few weeks, I'm keeping it. It serves its purpose well and is relatively leak free so far...

rammin03

Reaction score
You got a good deal on your truck.

I was set to get rid of the Mopar soft tri fold... but after learning about the black vs silver rails and having the truck a few weeks, I'm keeping it. It serves its purpose well and is relatively leak free so far...
Agree, I will just have to remember not to leave the rifles back there when stopped for any amount of time. The after market world should have something soon I would think. I will argue the restocking fee since they looked it up by VIN when I got it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agree, I will just have to remember not to leave the rifles back there when stopped for any amount of time. The after market world should have something soon I would think. I will argue the restocking fee since they looked it up by VIN when I got it.
Yeah tell them to eat the restocking fee, or give you the silver rails for free.

There are not going to be after market rails you can get.
There is an extremely small market for it, and it's been 4 years so far (it existed in 2018\2019) for the gen 5.
Only affects people with a 1500, Ramboxes, limited, night edition.

I am NOT sure if you get a 1500 Limited with Ramboxes but NOT another package that forces the tri-fold if you would get silver rails because you don't get the soft cover, or if they still give you black rails because Ramboxes.

Users who are viewing this thread