5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ram 1500 Long Horn-dashboard back lighting

JohnIII

Reaction score
This is my first post.
I am trying to determine if the buttons on the drivers arm rest, steering wheel and around the large display screen should have back lighting.
All of the buttons around the display and especially the phone button on the steering wheel are pretty hard to read.
I spoke with my salesman and he did not know.
Instead of having to leave the truck for 3-4 days while

Attachments

• Ram-Longhorn-Display.jpg
    Ram-Longhorn-Display.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Ram-Longhorn-steering wheel.jpg
    Ram-Longhorn-steering wheel.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 40

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With all due respect, if those buttons are hard to read, maybe you should get your eyes checked. Not trying to be a jerk, but they are plenty visible.

Or maybe be a little more specific. Perhaps they are not visible under certain conditions? I haven’t had any issues seeing them day or night. And I wear glasses. Even without my frames, they are visible.

ae5573t

Reaction score
This is my first post.
I am trying to determine if the buttons on the drivers arm rest, steering wheel and around the large display screen should have back lighting.
All of the buttons around the display and especially the phone button on the steering wheel are pretty hard to read.
I spoke with my salesman and he did not know.
Instead of having to leave the truck for 3-4 days while
The buttons only have back lighting in night mode, not day mode.

JohnIII

Reaction score
With all due respect, if those buttons are hard to read, maybe you should get your eyes checked. Not trying to be a jerk, but they are plenty visible.

Or maybe be a little more specific. Perhaps they are not visible under certain conditions? I haven’t had any issues seeing them day or night. And I wear glasses. Even without my frames, they are visible.
I do wear glasses and

JohnIII

Reaction score
I do wear glasses.
The buttons are hard to see during the day, sun light or overcast.
At night the arm rest and steering wheel light up but not the display buttons.
At night I adjusted one of the dials by my left knee and it adjusted the dashboard lighting which I expected. The second dial did absolutely nothing and the display light were still off.

cerbo

Reaction score
I had the same opinion with you on my 24. Under certain lighting they are hard to see (like as soon as the auto headlights would go out in my case). It only lights up in the nite mode (as already stated).

cerbo

Reaction score
and looking at it again today (cloudy no lights ON ) it was hard to see. Then I looked at the toggle switches below the screen and above them they are so bright and easy to read. The sides should be like those bottom indicators IMO.

JohnIII

Reaction score
and looking at it again today (cloudy no lights ON ) it was hard to see. Then I looked at the toggle switches below the screen and above them they are so bright and easy to read. The sides should be like those bottom indicators IMO.
Can you send me a picture of this toggle switch or is this the toggle switch by your left knee?
Interesting that while I was driving on the highway around noon, with full sunshine, the backlighting on the buttons around the screen cam on for 1-2 minutes and then went off. This happened a couple of times.
Do you think there is a way to modify this so the lights are on all the time?

cerbo

Reaction score
IMG_2224.jpeg
that s the left knee switch for brightness I guess. mine s on full. The center toggles are below the center screen. There is also a lighting adjustment in the center screen pages but they didn t help.

cerbo

Reaction score
the toggles below the center screen seem to stay bright all the time unlike the side tile buttons. I gave up, I think I m just getting old and can t see, LOL. Plus the more I use the truck the more familiar I am getting with where everything is as far as buttons.

JohnIII

Reaction score
the toggles below the center screen seem to stay bright all the time unlike the side tile buttons. I gave up, I think I m just getting old and can t see, LOL. Plus the more I use the truck the more familiar I am getting with where everything is as far as buttons.
I am old but I am finding it hard to believe Ram would keep these buttons dark all the time except at night. To me this is a safety concern if the driver has to lean over to see what button he is pushing. I am wondering if there is a wiring fix to correct this.

cerbo

Reaction score
I am old but I am finding it hard to believe Ram would keep these buttons dark all the time except at night. To me this is a safety concern if the driver has to lean over to see what button he is pushing. I am wondering if there is a wiring fix to correct this.
their answer would be that you can use the full center screen to control those functions. LOL.
I agree with you though.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused.
So we can't see the buttons on the radio during the daylight unless they are lit, but if they are lit we can see them? This is all in the daylight, not dark?
The steering wheel buttons I typically remember by heart so I don't think I have tried to look at them to see if they are hard to see.
There is also the light right above the radio that shines down, I'm not sure if that technically hits the radio though?

Are we looking to have all the lights on during the day (except the overhead light on when a door is open)?

cerbo

Reaction score
look at first post and first picture. That s what I m am agreeing with poor day lighting and sometimes a bit hard to see in certain conditions.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
look at first post and first picture. That s what I m am agreeing with poor day lighting and sometimes a bit hard to see in certain conditions.
I did look at the post and pictures, I just really don't see what is hard about white letters during the daylight?
Like if I force the backlight on during the day I don't think it would be any easier to see?
What i'm getting at is I don't think the problem is the backlight and or lack of?

For the radio maybe put high contrast vinyl stickers on the buttons?
Not sure for the wheel itself, those modules do come out but they are domed soft plastic so not really much you can do to them.

Can I get some pictures of when it's "hard to see", because the first post it's bright white compared to the surroundings, maybe this is a problem wearing sunglasses? I know my white HUD is hard to see when wearing sunglasses.

cerbo

Reaction score
IMG_2228.jpeg
Look at the side tiles vs above the toggle switches. Just saying.... not my thread but I think this is the Opers complaint which I agree. This picture is 11am on a cloudy day, headlights OFF.
Sometimes it might be glare but if it was backlit more I think it would counter that .

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
View attachment 181434
Look at the side tiles vs above the toggle switches. Just saying.... not my thread but I think this is the Opers complaint which I agree. This picture is 11am on a cloudy day, headlights OFF.
Sometimes it might be glare but if it was backlit more I think it would counter that .
I can see how that is hard to see, because the screen is so bright.

One thing that I know is differnet is I run the radio as always set to "night mode" so the screen is never bright white like that, and thus reducing my eyes ability to see darker items.

Ill look in my truck and see what I can can come up with.

JohnIII

Reaction score
I'm a little confused.
So we can't see the buttons on the radio during the daylight unless they are lit, but if they are lit we can see them? This is all in the daylight, not dark?
The steering wheel buttons I typically remember by heart so I don't think I have tried to look at them to see if they are hard to see.
There is also the light right above the radio that shines down, I'm not sure if that technically hits the radio though?

Are we looking to have all the lights on during the day (except the overhead light on when a door is open)?
The answer is yes. I think the backlights on the steering wheel and around the display should be on whether it is day or night.
I got my truck back from the dealer after 4 days of them looking into this issue and they found nothing. They didn't even have another truck on the lot they could check to see how those back lights worked. Disappointing.
If the backlights only light in the dark then I would like to know if there is a way to wire the lights so they will come on when the ignition is on. So sort of retrofit.

Users who are viewing this thread