5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ram 1500 Laramie 12” Uconnect 5 wireless apple CarPlay issues continued.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine just connects or disconnects whenever it feels like it. It is so bad that I have informed my family to sue if I die in a wreck. I bought my truck because of the radio. I work from my truck and travel. It knows when I am going through a crazy intersection and just disconnects my phone and the Google maps. Already almost caused wrecks three times. I have been to the dealership and been told this is common. Right now it won’t connect at all. Sometimes the screen just locks up. Completely unacceptable. To top it off I can’t just go buy another radio without voiding my warranty!!!!!!! I bleed Mopar but I am mad now.
You don't list what truck or phone you have.
If you die from no gps you have bigger problems like not getting distracted and keeping your eyes on the road.
You can absolutely buy another radio without voiding your warranty.
Are you just here to complain or are you seeking help? (legit question)

Drpringle

Reaction score
Was having CarPlay connection issues today
Rebooted the screen
Forgot device on phone and truck and started from scratch iPhone 15 connected right away to CarPlay after but now when i receive a txt msg it switches my screen to my CarPlay screen which never happened before and is super annoying and distracting see video
2024 ram 3500 on a iPhone 15
Never mind I can’t post a video
Help

warrenwwii

Reaction score
You don't list what truck or phone you have.
If you die from no gps you have bigger problems like not getting distracted and keeping your eyes on the road.
You can absolutely buy another radio without voiding your warranty.
Are you just here to complain or are you seeking help? (legit question)
I have the 2500 Power Wagon and I have an iPhone. It doesn’t matter if it is wired or not. Even when using the built in navigation it will just change screens sometimes. I will attach a photo taken at 10:13 notice it says the arrival time is 10:12 and says seven minutes to go. I had arrived already. The other photo shows a half screen. Sometimes I can’t get the phone to connect at all. It is not one problem. I don’t have time to go to the dealership over and over. I am angry and complaining seems to be the only thing I can do. I bought the truck because I can’t have my truck in the shop. I bought the Power Wagon because of 4x4, a winch, and the big screen on the radio. I haven’t used the winch yet because of the 4x4 and lockers getting me through. The radio has been a thorn in my side.

Attachments

• IMG_8440.jpeg
    IMG_8440.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8465.jpeg
    IMG_8465.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 9

bigboost

Reaction score
I have the 2500 Power Wagon and I have an iPhone. It doesn’t matter if it is wired or not. Even when using the built in navigation it will just change screens sometimes. I will attach a photo taken at 10:13 notice it says the arrival time is 10:12 and says seven minutes to go. I had arrived already. The other photo shows a half screen. Sometimes I can’t get the phone to connect at all. It is not one problem. I don’t have time to go to the dealership over and over. I am angry and complaining seems to be the only thing I can do. I bought the truck because I can’t have my truck in the shop. I bought the Power Wagon because of 4x4, a winch, and the big screen on the radio. I haven’t used the winch yet because of the 4x4 and lockers getting me through. The radio has been a thorn in my side.
Don't mind this guy, he seems to be the FCA Crusader on the forums following people around that complain about this garbage Uconnect 5 lmao. At his desk waiting for someone to complain about the system so he can tell you to stop complaining or how you are incompetent because you'd like the GPS system in your 100K truck to work.

He then rhetorically asks if you are just complaining or need help, like hes going to provide something of value.

I've just learned to accept that the UC5 in the truck is terrible and maybe they'll fix it with an update, but I doubt it. Good Luck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't mind this guy, he seems to be the FCA Crusader on the forums following people around that complain about this garbage Uconnect 5 lmao. At his desk waiting for someone to complain about the system so he can tell you to stop complaining or how you are incompetent because you'd like the GPS system in your 100K truck to work.

He then rhetorically asks if you are just complaining or need help, like hes going to provide something of value.

I've just learned to accept that the UC5 in the truck is terrible and maybe they'll fix it with an update, but I doubt it. Good Luck.
You got to be kidding me LOL.
I have helped a ton of people on the forums with problems and I am by far a Fca Crusader. I own my first and last Ram and wouldn't buy any other Chrysler product.
There is nothing wrong with my UC5, and my GPS works perfectly.
You say that it's garbage or trash but these people that are posting are using iphones, not their Tom Tom nav that is in their radio so I would argue that the nav works better then the iPhone you guys are trying to use. Ram doesn't even support these brand new phones with Carplay so you are running an unsupported setup to start with.
Us folks with Android can't even connect and use the full screen.

What firmware version are you on? It would be something like S23 S26 T27 etc.

akostaac

Reaction score

This guy @Darksteel165 has been very helpful to a a lot of people here. If you have an issue with your truck this is not the place to complaint.....NOW if you have an issue with your truck and would like to share it in order to gain a deeper knowledge or see if anyone else had the same issue or gain inside of how to fix it you are in the right place. We do look at your signature to see what year truck you have, specs in order to assist you. Seems like you have an Ram 2500 HD which you should join hdrams.com and they may be able to help you find a solution. What firmware is your UC5 as of now?

bigboost

Reaction score
This guy @Darksteel165 has been very helpful to a a lot of people here. If you have an issue with your truck this is not the place to complaint.....NOW if you have an issue with your truck and would like to share it in order to gain a deeper knowledge or see if anyone else had the same issue or gain inside of how to fix it you are in the right place. We do look at your signature to see what year truck you have, specs in order to assist you. Seems like you have an Ram 2500 HD which you should join hdrams.com and they may be able to help you find a solution. What firmware is your UC5 as of now?
Forgive me as my experience is quite a bit different and have watched the same sort of activity a multitude of times from him in the brief period I've been present here lmao.

I'm on whatever the most current version of firmware is, I updated it. I'll verify next time I'm in front of the truck.

Here are all of the issues I've experience with my UC5 system.

1. Audio from left front speaker cuts in and out intermittently - No real fix, press center button on steering audio controls to change source repeatedly and it will come back.
2. Audio from all speakers on all sources cuts out completely - No real fix, press center button on steering audio controls to change source repeatedly and it will come back.
3. Driving down the road the radio will emit an obnoxious buzzing sound for several seconds, the UC5 screen goes blank, and resets itself while driving down the road - No Fix
4. CarPlay launch screen shows the "Home" widgets and not full screen CarPlay - No real fix - hit the home button, then hit the carplay button and it goes full screen.
5. GoogleMaps only shows on 1/2 the carplay screen, rest of the screen is blank - No real fix - close the app and re-open it and usually resolves it.

Just all the common issues on UC5 lol.

If you have an suggestions on how to fix any of this I'm all ears, the reality is it's just a poor system and our best option is to "hope for an update from FCA" lol.

akostaac

Reaction score
Forgive me as my experience is quite a bit different and have watched the same sort of activity a multitude of times from him in the brief period I've been present here lmao.

I'm on whatever the most current version of firmware is, I updated it. I'll verify next time I'm in front of the truck.

Here are all of the issues I've experience with my UC5 system.

1. Audio from left front speaker cuts in and out intermittently - No real fix, press center button on steering audio controls to change source repeatedly and it will come back.
2. Audio from all speakers on all sources cuts out completely - No real fix, press center button on steering audio controls to change source repeatedly and it will come back.
3. Driving down the road the radio will emit an obnoxious buzzing sound for several seconds, the UC5 screen goes blank, and resets itself while driving down the road - No Fix
4. CarPlay launch screen shows the "Home" widgets and not full screen CarPlay - No real fix - hit the home button, then hit the carplay button and it goes full screen.
5. GoogleMaps only shows on 1/2 the carplay screen, rest of the screen is blank - No real fix - close the app and re-open it and usually resolves it.

Just all the common issues on UC5 lol.

If you have an suggestions on how to fix any of this I'm all ears, the reality is it's just a poor system and our best option is to "hope for an update from FCA" lol.
The latest firmware is T27.46. I have heard about similar issues on earlier firmware but T27.46 seems pretty stable. I had no issues at all and my iPhone works every time. The audio cutting out is definitely something I will be concerned, #4 is a page setting you can fix by deleting the page. I use that page as page #2 so my wife can have the bottom to control her ac and radio. #5 is a google maps app issue, the same thing happens on mine but I mainly use apple maps. If you are on firmware T27.46 you may need to have the dealer replace UC5 module. Hope you find a solution!

edwinsao

Reaction score
Was having CarPlay connection issues today
Rebooted the screen
Forgot device on phone and truck and started from scratch iPhone 15 connected right away to CarPlay after but now when i receive a txt msg it switches my screen to my CarPlay screen which never happened before and is super annoying and distracting see video
2024 ram 3500 on a iPhone 15
Never mind I can’t post a video
Help
You must deactivate Beta updates from your iPhone, I just did it today at the  store

akostaac

Reaction score
You must deactivate Beta updates from your iPhone, I just did it today at the  store
I’m a beta tester for IOS and have no issues at all. I’m currently on the new beta that was just released on Monday and no issues

Rscimagery

Reaction score
Apple CarPlay wireless connection issue, lengthy post, sorry in advance.

New 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie with 12” Uconnect 5 display with wireless apple CarPlay feature.
Issues:
- Uconnect does not auto-connect to iPhone on start-up.
- sometimes takes 20 minutes for apple CarPlay to finally connect wirelessly.
- have to use wired connection, but that causes an issue when playing Serious XM radio, it auto selects back to the plugged in device and stops Serious stops playing, happens multiple times.
- clicking the apple carplay button, after 10 seconds the box pops up saying, “unable to connect, make sure Bluetooth device is in range.”
- Bluetooth will connect to answer calls and play music from phone, but once you click the CarPlay button, it disconnects and says device not in range.
- if/when connected to CarPlay, wireless or wired, it randomly disconnects during phone calls or while using iPhone or google maps.

Solution attempts so far, with no success:

- reset radio through vehicle settings. Same issues.
- remove Uconnect from phones Bluetooth, delete device from Uconnect’s device manager, reset radio, pair phone again. Same issues.
- delete device, remove Uconnect from Bluetooth, hold power button for 10 seconds and perform hard reset, re-pair device. Same issues.
- dropped vehicle off at dealer, had a new Uconnect 5 12” display unit installed, same issues.
- ensure phone is on latest software, ensure Uconnect is on latest update, same issues.
- contacted Ram connect customer support, they had me attempt all above steps again, same issues.
- contacted Apple services, they had me perform every known reset/solution for my phone, same issues. They advised I take it to a dealer..
- ensured apple CarPlay is enabled within phone settings, WiFi and Bluetooth are on, no phone settings are restricting CarPlay from working. Phone is iPhone 12 for reference using the latest iOS as of the date of this post, iOS 17.1.

I am still in contact with local dealer for pending updates, they are baffled at the issue and said they have a handful of new vehicles with the same issue and no solution.

Posting this to see if anyone by chance has a method I haven’t tried or perhaps the right eyes will see this post and add this to an existing STAR report.
I have the same issue with a 2019 Rebel. Dealership shook their head and said, next we start ripping out wires - no resolution, i took the truck home. Unreal this is the state of the world we are in.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Same thing here. Brand new 2024 1500. CarPlay worked great for a month, now it only connects to phone and contacts. I've tried all the steps above, minus taking it to the dealer. Very frustrating.

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
SOLVED, at least for me:
Wireless ACP uses both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I have no idea why, but maybe Ram can answer that.

Ram has a Wi-Fi network called DIRECT-ed-AndroidAP that it uses. When I connected to that, it works perfectly. So I set it to auto-join and everything seems to be working perfectly.

This seems like a pretty serious design flaw, but at least mine is working now.

Attachments

• IMG_2552.jpeg
    IMG_2552.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread