5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ram 1500 Laramie 12” Uconnect 5 wireless apple CarPlay issues continued.

Ncnick

Reaction score
Apple CarPlay wireless connection issue, lengthy post, sorry in advance.

New 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie with 12” Uconnect 5 display with wireless apple CarPlay feature.
Issues:
- Uconnect does not auto-connect to iPhone on start-up.
- sometimes takes 20 minutes for apple CarPlay to finally connect wirelessly.
- have to use wired connection, but that causes an issue when playing Serious XM radio, it auto selects back to the plugged in device and stops Serious stops playing, happens multiple times.
- clicking the apple carplay button, after 10 seconds the box pops up saying, “unable to connect, make sure Bluetooth device is in range.”
- Bluetooth will connect to answer calls and play music from phone, but once you click the CarPlay button, it disconnects and says device not in range.
- if/when connected to CarPlay, wireless or wired, it randomly disconnects during phone calls or while using iPhone or google maps.

Solution attempts so far, with no success:

- reset radio through vehicle settings. Same issues.
- remove Uconnect from phones Bluetooth, delete device from Uconnect’s device manager, reset radio, pair phone again. Same issues.
- delete device, remove Uconnect from Bluetooth, hold power button for 10 seconds and perform hard reset, re-pair device. Same issues.
- dropped vehicle off at dealer, had a new Uconnect 5 12” display unit installed, same issues.
- ensure phone is on latest software, ensure Uconnect is on latest update, same issues.
- contacted Ram connect customer support, they had me attempt all above steps again, same issues.
- contacted Apple services, they had me perform every known reset/solution for my phone, same issues. They advised I take it to a dealer..
- ensured apple CarPlay is enabled within phone settings, WiFi and Bluetooth are on, no phone settings are restricting CarPlay from working. Phone is iPhone 12 for reference using the latest iOS as of the date of this post, iOS 17.1.

I am still in contact with local dealer for pending updates, they are baffled at the issue and said they have a handful of new vehicles with the same issue and no solution.

Posting this to see if anyone by chance has a method I haven’t tried or perhaps the right eyes will see this post and add this to an existing STAR report.

Cristyan

Reaction score
I'm experiencing precisely the same issues here and have tried almost all the solutions you mentioned, but there is no resolution. The latest excuse from my dealer is that it's an Apple issue, which, of course, it isn't. My wife's phone and mine work well in other cars. Clearly, there's something wrong with Uconnect.

yma0088

Reaction score

New 2023 Ram 1500 Laramie with 12” Uconnect 5 display with wireless apple CarPlay feature.
Issues:
- have to use wired connection, but that causes an issue when playing Serious XM radio, it auto selects back to the plugged in device and stops Serious stops playing, happens multiple times.
- clicking the apple carplay button, after 10 seconds the box pops up saying, “unable to connect, make sure Bluetooth device is in range.”
- Bluetooth will connect to answer calls and play music from phone, but once you click the CarPlay button, it disconnects and says device not in range.
- if/when connected to CarPlay, wireless or wired, it randomly disconnects during phone calls or while using iPhone or google maps.

- remove Uconnect from phones Bluetooth, delete device from Uconnect’s device manager, reset radio, pair phone again. Same issues.
- delete device, remove Uconnect from Bluetooth, hold power button for 10 seconds and perform hard reset, re-pair device. Same issues.
- dropped vehicle off at dealer, had a new Uconnect 5 12” display unit installed, same issues.
- ensure phone is on latest software, ensure Uconnect is on latest update, same issues.
- contacted Ram connect customer support, they had me attempt all above steps again, same issues.
- contacted Apple services, they had me perform every known reset/solution for my phone, same issues. They advised I take it to a dealer..
- ensured apple CarPlay is enabled within phone settings, WiFi and Bluetooth are on, no phone settings are restricting CarPlay from working. Phone is iPhone 12 for reference using the latest iOS as of the date of this post, iOS 17.1.

I am still in contact with local dealer for pending updates, they are baffled at the issue and said they have a handful of new vehicles with the same issue and no solution.

Posting this to see if anyone by
I have a car of 2023 with firmware MY23T 25.47 The problem is that my wireless CarPlay does not work. CarPlay only works via cable. Maybe the new firmware can help?

seansmd

Reaction score
On wireless AA it sets a bluetooth and a wifi connection to the uconnect. Does the same happen with carplay? If so you may want to see if there is an old wifi profile and delete it, and in carplay is there a history of vehicles, may want to delete there too.
Screenshot_20231104_080642_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_080347_Android Auto.jpg

pickupstix

Reaction score

Issues:

Posting this to see if anyone by chance has a method I haven’t tried or perhaps the right eyes will see this post and add this to an existing STAR report.
Same issue just started happening to me today on my 2023 Laramie. It had been working fine and then today it just stopped working. Please let us know if you find a solution.
Thanks

yma0088

Reaction score
I have installed the latest version FCA-MY23. T26.46-PROD.
The wireless CarPlay does not work. The new firmware has not changed anything.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was experiencing the exact same issues in my 2023 Laramie. I just received the latest OTA update yesterday which included wireless carplay fixes. My carplay did seem to connect as soon as I got in the truck today after the update. So maybe the update finally fixed these issues.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can confirm now after the latest OTA update, T27.46 (I think it was) my wireless carplay is connecting almost instantly every time I get in the truck which was certainly not happening prior. So the update appears to have fixed that issue.

Fmtees

Reaction score
I just started having issues. As I’m driving with directions on either google maps or apple maps, it will cut off and randomly stops the directions. When it does keep working it lags and doesn’t keep up with where I’m at. This all happens whether I’m plugged in or wireless. I got a recall notice for software so I took it in for the service. They did an update and since then, the problems started.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Soon after getting my truck I learned wireless car play reliability seemed very sensitive to the location of the phone.

If I left it in my pocket it often would not connect or would randomly disconnect if it did connect. Even resting on the center armrest or in a cup holder gave me connection issues.

I started placing the phone in the phone cradle directly below the radio screen before starting the truck and it has never failed to connect almost immediately and has never disconnected after it connected.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Soon after getting my truck I learned wireless car play reliability seemed very sensitive to the location of the phone.

If I left it in my pocket it often would not connect or would randomly disconnect if it did connect. Even resting on the center armrest or in a cup holder gave me connection issues.

I started placing the phone in the phone cradle directly below the radio screen before starting the truck and it has never failed to connect almost immediately and has never disconnected after it connected.
This was exactly what I was having to do with my 2024 Laramie..and seemed to work..until yesterday, three times in a row, it didn't and I had go through a bunch of prods to get it to connect! U5 is just so glitchy with connecting to my phone.
The software on this truck is really making me regret buying it!

riotpolice

Reaction score
Ok.. I am going to add mine to this list. I have been having issues with UC5 using a samsung note 20 and recently changed to Iphone. The truck is currently in service for the issues related to the radio.. truck has a new radio, wiring harness, module, harness repair per star and now being told the apple issue is something that a FUTURE update will fix and that we should just be patient. Folks I have been waiting on software updates to fix anything since Aug 2022.. If you'd like to know more please ask

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The software on this truck is really making me regret buying it!

I think I'm with you there.

The reason I went with another Ram is because my last 3 were problem free. However, after about 4500 miles with this truck it's the most glitchy vehicle I have ever owned.

Just yesterday I drove about an hour listening to music on a USB thumb drive as always. Made a stop and when restarting it would not recognize either thumb drive, no carplay and wouldn't even play music from my phone. I removed and reinstalled the thumb drive and still nothing. I reset the radio and still nothing. Pulled over and shut off the truck and opened the door to turn off the radio and restarted and still did not work. Got home and restarted again in my driveway and it started working.

Also, just last week, I got all kinds of warning's of systems (adaptive cruse, auto high beam, active lane management, emergency braking), not working after pulling out of the car wash. I even received an email from Ram telling me these systems were broken and to schedule a service appt. After several restarts they all started working again, but the truck should not break just because you washed it with water.

I've also had problems with it staying in defrost mode when manually selecting it with the button. The only way too get it back to another setting is to restart the vehicle.

I've been hoping all the problems I read about on this forum represent the rare and unusual and they just seem common because people are more likely to post about problems than they are create an "all is well" post. Now, I'm inclined to believe extensive problems may be the norm.

Ready Go

Reaction score

The reason I went with another Ram is because my last 3 were problem free. However, after about 4500 miles with this truck it's the most glitchy vehicle I have ever owned.

Just yesterday I drove about an hour listening to music on a USB thumb drive as always. Made a stop and when restarting it would not recognize either thumb drive, no carplay and wouldn't even play music from my phone. I removed and reinstalled the thumb drive and still nothing. I reset the radio and still nothing. Pulled over and shut off the truck and opened the door to turn off the radio and restarted and still did not work. Got home and restarted again in my driveway and it started working.

Also, just last week, I got all kinds of warning's of systems (adaptive cruse, auto high beam, active lane management, emergency braking), not working after pulling out of the car wash. I even received an email from Ram telling me these systems were broken and to schedule a service appt. After several restarts they all started working again, but the truck should not break just because you washed it with water.

I've also had problems with it staying in defrost mode when manually selecting it with the button. The only way too get it back to another setting is to restart the vehicle.

I've been hoping all the problems I read about on this forum represent the rare and unusual and they just seem common because people are more likely to post about problems than they are create an "all is well" post. Now, I'm inclined to believe extensive problems may be the norm.
Agreed!!
If I could go back and undo my order/purchase, I would! Personally, I'm growing tired of the crapshoot everytime I start this truck.
In general, the truck in decent, but the poor software programing is very worrisome!
These trucks cost way too much to be this glitchy..either they really downgraded their chipsets or their programmers.
A future class action lawsuit would surprise me if they don't get this settled. There have been much more frivolous suits lately.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I bet something has got wet going through the carwash. Something that isn't supposed to get wet. I'd take it in since it's under warranty and let them figure it out.

Grunt

Reaction score
I have the iPhone 15 pro max, 27.46 radio firmware and wireless carplay works pretty good. It does take about 30 to 45 seconds to connect but after that it just works. Love the full screen interface.

Not real happy with the way I got here though. I'm an android user and my two Android phones (Pixel 7 pro & S23 Ultra) disconnect at random times while driving. Been waiting sine Aug 23 for an update that would fix it and got tired of waiting.

So disappointed with Ram. Need to fix the connection issues with Android and go full screen Android Auto!

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bet something has got wet going through the carwash. Something that isn't supposed to get wet. I'd take it in since it's under warranty and let them figure it out.

I'm sure that's the case with my most recent issue. I tend not to keep poor quality vehicles very long that require I return them to the dealer for repair even if the repair is under warranty.

riotpolice

Reaction score
I have the iPhone 15 pro max, 27.46 radio firmware and wireless carplay works pretty good. It does take about 30 to 45 seconds to connect but after that it just works. Love the full screen interface.

Not real happy with the way I got here though. I'm an android user and my two Android phones (Pixel 7 pro & S23 Ultra) disconnect at random times while driving. Been waiting sine Aug 23 for an update that would fix it and got tired of waiting.

So disappointed with Ram. Need to fix the connection issues with Android and go full screen Android Auto!
Don't tell them you are using the Iphone 15.. they will say it is because of it and they don't support that phone! Mine is still in service.. going on 2 months now. The latest is that star center is telling customers to just wait for yet another software update!

Grunt

Reaction score
Don't tell them you are using the Iphone 15.. they will say it is because of it and they don't support that phone! Mine is still in service.. going on 2 months now. The latest is that star center is telling customers to just wait for yet another software update!
Yeah, customers shouldn't be waiting for updates to get something to work while Ram is advertising it as a current capability. That's just bad business.

Users who are viewing this thread