5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Options - Does not have to be a truck

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my lease is coming up in November and I'm debating on what options people are looking at this year and just wanted to get the collective input.

I obviously have the option of buying the truck and keeping it but I'm the kind of guy that likes to get new stuff....only the lease and the fact this is the perfect vehicle have kept me in it for four years. :)

So I rarely tow with this and it is mainly a lux truck / dog wagon. This means it could be a smaller truck for sure.

My normal drive is 20 miles so a plug in hybrid solution with 20-30 miles EV range seems appealing.

I tend to like sporty vehicles but with a dog that I take to work every day the small sports cars are probably out of the question however a hatch solution might not be if everything folds down flat.

I know I've thrown a lot of non specifics but I'm not just saying it has to be a truck. I will go around soon and start test driving stuff but wanted to see what ideas you guys come up with.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably going to get a LOT of opinions. I’d say keep it. If I didn’t need a truck I’d get the new Acura Integra. It does have surprisingly a lot of space in the rear, more than the TLX & more comfortable with a hatch & seats that fold down.

This past year I test drove a Dodge Charger & Durango RT, Honda Civic Si, Civic Type R, Ridgeline, Acura TLX Type S, Integra manual transmission twice, & a TRX truck. I’m determined to auction my Jeep & get the Integra Type S when it’s released.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My brother just picked-up a brand new Ford Maverick. It's honestly very impressive, it's probably all the truck or vehicle anyone could need, assuming they aren't doing any heavy towing or everyone in the family is 300 lbs.

The only issue is Mavericks are in high demand, if you didn't order one earlier, expect ADM. But man, it's such a cool vehicle that has so much for so little. Ford really hit it out the park with it.

I have to mention how incredible his dealership was, something I haven't seen before. He ordered it a year ago, the hybrid version, first edition Lariat. Even though he didn't put any money down, they protected his buying price from 1 year ago, even though the MSRP rose from $31,000 to $34,500, they only charged him $31,000.

Also, his APR was 1.99% for 60 months, again 1 year ago protected rate, today even with over 800 credit score, expect at least 5% or more APR and he got the 1.9%, which surprised him they still offered that.

Even now, some dealers are pushing people who ordered off their vehicles and selling them with ADM. People who have been sitting for months waiting for their order to find out it was sold from under them. These guys were a class act not only to not do that, but sell it below MSRP when they could have easily made an additional $15,000 selling it with ADM.

Last edited:

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man, I wish the Ford dealers around me were like that. They’re the exact opposite. That’s why I’m in a Ram Limited instead of a Raptor. I actually built the Raptor on their website for a grand less than the Limited. There’s more to it though than I care to bore others with on this particular thread. Maybe a regional thing.

I wish the Maverick looked…better? Or that I didn’t like vehicles as much or the way I do or care what they look like. I’d love to only spend 30-40k on a truck again.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Man, I wish the Ford dealers around me were like that. They’re the exact opposite. That’s why I’m in a Ram Limited instead of a Raptor. I actually built the Raptor on their website for a grand less than the Limited. There’s more to it though than I care to bore others with on this particular thread. Maybe a regional thing.

I wish the Maverick looked…better? Or that I didn’t like vehicles as much or the way I do or care what they look like. I’d love to only spend 30-40k on a truck again.

Yup, most stories are the other way, of dealers screwing people on order list so they could pull the floor from under them to sell it to a waiting buyer with ADM money to spend.

The dealership (Kearny Mesa Ford in San Diego), did mention that if he didn't take the order, they would then put it up for sale with $10K ADM, but they weren't going to burn him or force him to pay ADM on a order. We honestly expected the current sticker price and current APR rates, to get $4K off MSRP to make his original order price and 1.9% APR is honestly an amazing deal.

I'm currently staying out of the new vehicle market until supply and demand goes back to pre-covid levels. I just can't justify sticker price, much less ADM.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Sounds like a Ford Explorer could be a good fit for you. My wife's Platinum has effectively the same powertrain as the ST, though not as sporty, and it has a lot of pep, so either one could meet your needs. 2nd and 3rd row seats fold down so you would have plenty of space for a dog or two. Just my .02, and good luck in the hunt

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just sat in one the other day at the 2023 auto show and the interior was definitely nice in the Chevy. Unfortunately, they didn’t have a GMC there to compare but it’s probably the same except that it looks better on the outside. 😆

Idahoktm

Reaction score
My brother just picked-up a brand new Ford Maverick. It's honestly very impressive, it's probably all the truck or vehicle anyone could need, assuming they aren't doing any heavy towing or everyone in the family is 300 lbs.

The only issue is Mavericks are in high demand, if you didn't order one earlier, expect ADM. But man, it's such a cool vehicle that has so much for so little. Ford really hit it out the park with it.

I have to mention how incredible his dealership was, something I haven't seen before. He ordered it a year ago, the hybrid version, first edition Lariat. Even though he didn't put any money down, they protected his buying price from 1 year ago, even though the MSRP rose from $31,000 to $34,500, they only charged him $31,000.

Also, his APR was 1.99% for 60 months, again 1 year ago protected rate, today even with over 800 credit score, expect at least 5% or more APR and he got the 1.9%, which surprised him they still offered that.

Even now, some dealers are pushing people who ordered off their vehicles and selling them with ADM. People who have been sitting for months waiting for their order to find out it was sold from under them. These guys were a class act not only to not do that, but sell it below MSRP when they could have easily made an additional $15,000 selling it with ADM.

I searched the internet but I can't figure it out. What is ADM?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My suggestion, and I know being a first year model could be a distractor, but wait for the new Dodge Hornets to hit dealer lots and test drive one of those. From the reveal video, they seem like they will be a fun car. Will have a plug in hybrid option

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just checking in here. I've gone to pretty much every manufacturer (not ultra lux brands like MB,BMW,Porsche,Audi).

My criteria has been basically something that would give enough room to my 74 pound dog that is tall (Borzoi), fold down flat seats that do not leave gaps for her to fall in and possibly hurt herself (captain chairs in second row are out due to this), something different than what I already have in a full sized truck (leaves out the 1/2 ton trucks from GM, Ford, etc), and bonus points for fun to drive as my dog may not be around as long as the new vehicle will be, and I do not want to be left with something too boring.

Out of the smaller trucks the Honda Ridgeline has the best as its back seat bench folds up nicely like the Ram and leaves room. I know its not as capable as the Ram but I do like the idea of something smaller, better MPG, and Honda reliability. Downside is the dull driving experience.

SUVs that could work include the Hyundai Palisade with second row bench seating, Genesis GV80, Ford Explorer ST with second row bench option, Lexus RX350h/500h, Toyota Forerunner and possibly the new Grand Highlander (seems to have same powertrain as the Lexus RX500h), Honda Passport. Out of those the Explorer ST is by far the most fun to drive although have not had a chance to drive the RX500h as it is so new. Problem is that Lexus does not allow custom orders so it is whatever is available.

Obviously anything above will have better MPGs than these Ram trucks (currently sporting between 13-14 mpgs).

I have a great relationship with my local Ford dealer so could get the Explorer ST I want custom ordered along with some discount off MSRP. In this new world of new car buying MSRP is now considered a deal with anything below that never even considered.

Just my current thoughts.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So just checking in here. I've gone to pretty much every manufacturer (not ultra lux brands like MB,BMW,Porsche,Audi).

My criteria has been basically something that would give enough room to my 74 pound dog that is tall (Borzoi), fold down flat seats that do not leave gaps for her to fall in and possibly hurt herself (captain chairs in second row are out due to this), something different than what I already have in a full sized truck (leaves out the 1/2 ton trucks from GM, Ford, etc), and bonus points for fun to drive as my dog may not be around as long as the new vehicle will be, and I do not want to be left with something too boring.

Out of the smaller trucks the Honda Ridgeline has the best as its back seat bench folds up nicely like the Ram and leaves room. I know its not as capable as the Ram but I do like the idea of something smaller, better MPG, and Honda reliability. Downside is the dull driving experience.

SUVs that could work include the Hyundai Palisade with second row bench seating, Genesis GV80, Ford Explorer ST with second row bench option, Lexus RX350h/500h, Toyota Forerunner and possibly the new Grand Highlander (seems to have same powertrain as the Lexus RX500h), Honda Passport. Out of those the Explorer ST is by far the most fun to drive although have not had a chance to drive the RX500h as it is so new. Problem is that Lexus does not allow custom orders so it is whatever is available.

Obviously anything above will have better MPGs than these Ram trucks (currently sporting between 13-14 mpgs).

I have a great relationship with my local Ford dealer so could get the Explorer ST I want custom ordered along with some discount off MSRP. In this new world of new car buying MSRP is now considered a deal with anything below that never even considered.

Honda "reliability" is only as good as the current vehicle you own. Just like any other manufacturer, they have their own issues and lemons that slip through quality control.

Just based on my own personal experience with Chrysler/Dodge/Ram vehicles, I only had one vehicle that had any reliability issues, and that was my first model year 07 Dodge Caliber that had an electrical drain the dealer could not diagnose so was bought back by Dodge. so I would rank reliability on Mopar vehicles just as high as any other manufacturer

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honda "reliability" is only as good as the current vehicle you own. Just like any other manufacturer, they have their own issues and lemons that slip through quality control.

Just based on my own personal experience with Chrysler/Dodge/Ram vehicles, I only had one vehicle that had any reliability issues, and that was my first model year 07 Dodge Caliber that had an electrical drain the dealer could not diagnose so was bought back by Dodge. so I would rank reliability on Mopar vehicles just as high as any other manufacturer
While I do agree it will vary, lets not kid ourselves here. Statistics do not lie.

silver billet

Reaction score

Jeep Grand Cherokee? Loved my time in mine even though it had the 3.6 with the mercedes 5 speed and was definitely lazy.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jeep Grand Cherokee? Loved my time in mine even though it had the 3.6 with the mercedes 5 speed and was definitely lazy.
I have not looked at it yet...I did check out the Durango which is basically the Ram but an SUV. To me they both seem old and dated. They need a refresh for sure. The only Durango I'd like is a HEMI or SRT and that would not really change much from what I have.

silver billet

Reaction score
I have not looked at it yet...I did check out the Durango which is basically the Ram but an SUV. To me they both seem old and dated. They need a refresh for sure. The only Durango I'd like is a HEMI or SRT and that would not really change much from what I have.

The GC just had a refresh for 2022. It's completely new and different from the old GC/Durango. It doesn't have the hemi though.

2022_jeep_grand-cherokee_4dr-suv_overland_fq_oem_1_815.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread