5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - No Hemi - Are you buying now or waiting for the new engine?

nitmik

Reaction score
I would be very hesitant in purchasing a super charged V6. I owned an F150 with the eco boost and had one of two turbos poop the bed at 66k miles. So I bought a Ram instead of fixing it. Don't think I would go that option again based on past experience.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd buy an I6TT, but I would be waiting 2-3 yrs trouble free years before jumping. I'm not going to pay to be their R&D department like we're doing with Uconnect, Etrq, etc...

I've had 5 EcoBoost Fords in the stable ranging from the 2.0EB upto to the Gen II 3.5EB. We had zero issues with four out of the five. The Gen II 3.5EB was an early run, first production year, of the Gen II motor (2017 Limited) and it was a serious a lemon. ...but when it was running, it was a beast. Towing was diesel like, much much faster than the Hemi, and unloaded fuel mileage was acouple mpg better than the Hemi as well.. ..the sound was awful though. It was definitely one of those engines you wanted to keep the exhaust as quiet as possible.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Silly questions. Would this new turbo engine require the high octane gas?
It would depend on the programming. For the high horsepower version (500+ Hp) definitely.

Ford says my wife's Ranger EcoBoost can run on 87 octane so it all depends on what the manufacturer decides is best for their vehicle. When I had a turbo car (eons ago) I only put 91 octane in it. More power or not it ran smoother and it minimized the chance of predetonation (real or percieved) so was worth it to me.

There are so many sensors to detect operating conditions that programming is very dynamic so can adjust easily to gasoline properties. Our trucks are recommended 89 octane but can run on 87 octane. Depending on what FCA wanted to program the engine for it could do the same. OEM programming is usually somewhat conservative as they have to account for grandma driving it to church on Sunday at 10 mph under the speed limit and a 20-year-old trying to race his buddy's 'Vette.

If you are trying to squeeze more out of less at some point you are going to advance timing closer to TDC (Top Dead Center) which puts the engine at a higher risk of pre-detonation. To combat this you put in higher octane gas. You gain a higher flashpoint to control the ignition point even though you lose some potential energy in the fuel. Depending on how close to TDC the manufacturer wants to go to get the output numbers that they want will drive that octane requirement. Do they want to lead the horsepower wars at the risk of more engine problems or do they want to focus on the bottom line (profit per unit) with a more conservative engine management approach and minimize warranty repairs?

The only way I'd leave my "all-motor" V-8 would be for an in-line 6 with forced induction.

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Despite the rumors, I don't see them going with a TT system on this engine. My thinking is more along the lines of what was said in the article jmt8706 posted, that it wil be a single twin scroll turbo producing somewhere between 370 - 400 HP. But it would be pretty cool if they did go with a TT and had those kinds of numbers.

Agreed, on an inline engine there is no need for twin turbos. Compound, maybe, but never in a production application.

So where a v engine may employ 2 40mm turbos eg, a single 72mm may be used to move similar volumes of air. Because it’s less complex ($$$) with one, that’s probably what they’ll do.

Twins are often used to resolve the exhaust manifold routing in the name of lag and efficiency. Putting a single in the valley of the V or running an in-line config avoids this.

NHRoadking

Reaction score
I'd buy an inline turbo 6 for sure.

The V8 will be around a while too - just like Ford has had their V6 turbos and their V8.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m coming from a twin turbo. Fine just fine. But I’m hoping to get my hands on the last true v8 truck before their gone. A fine, pushrod, port injection v8!

I’m reserving some hope that the Hemi does go out with a bang and they throw the 6.4 in as a finale!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By the time I need a new truck, I will probably be too old to worry about driving anyway. After 3+ years I've got 24k miles on mine. My last truck I would have taken to 200k miles if my wife didn't get on me to get a new truck. At 8k miles a year - and that will be less, soon - it will take me 25 years to get to 200k, by which if they haven't taken my license they'll be thinking about it :D

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having driven a very impressive ecoboost PIU for the last 3 years I recently got swapped out to a 2011 Charger from now until the summer when it will be replaced with another PIU. The PIU is quick, but the Charger with the 5.7 feels a lot stronger. The sound and push from the torque is more fun to drive. Gas mileage seems better, not that it matters much for a work rig.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Having driven a very impressive ecoboost PIU for the last 3 years I recently got swapped out to a 2011 Charger from now until the summer when it will be replaced with another PIU. The PIU is quick, but the Charger with the 5.7 feels a lot stronger. The sound and push from the torque is more fun to drive. Gas mileage seems better, not that it matters much for a work rig.
What is a PIU?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
PIU is the Police Interceptor Utility, aka Ford Explorer police version.

I loved my F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost, never felt like a turbo to me, it just felt like a larger responsive motor that was fast and got me good mileage if I kept it off boost. It should be called Eco or Boost, because you can have one, but not both at the same time.

The only issue is the sound. I love the sense of occasion only a V8 or larger can give, even if honestly slower, I rather have the V8. Too much character would be lost for me. I will keep buying V8 trucks as long as they are available, then likely an EV.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What @SD Rebel said on the V8 sound. I ordered a 5.7 powered RAM now because I think the V8 engine in 1/2 ton truck days are clearly limited and I wanted one last "hurrah". I do think turbo engines can sound good, but that is the rarity. The Bronco Raptor is one of those turbo's that sounds awesome. In my limited experience the 5.7 with what little bit Etorque helps, gets darn close to the same MPG's as the boosted engines with less complexity. In some cases, I think the 5.7 gets better MPG. Overall it seems like a wash and I after having driven all the 1/2 ton trucks out there I found the Ram was the winner for me.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score

That's interesting, seems to be more focused initially towards Jeep and Dodge cars to replace the V8s in those. Considering the V8s in both Jeeps and Chargers/Challengers doesn't make up a majority of their sales, seem logical. The article also stated it will be "available" on RAM trucks, which leads me to believe it won't replace V8s in the 1500 class trucks.

Neither Ford nor GM has replaced their V8s, especially Ford who's best selling F-series is the 3.5L V6. Consider the RAM's character is synonymous with the Hemi and makes up 90% of it's sales vs the 3.6L, I suspect the Hemi will still be sold in the RAM 1500. Or another possibility it replaces the 5.7L but they offer another V8 alternative, like the 6.4L.

brewdad

Reaction score
On wagoneerforums.org, a guy posted that his Grand Wagoneer Series III order listed a $2,000.00 Engine Upcharge if the Inline6 engine was selected over the standard 6.4L Hemi engine.

Last edited:

Farmer 78

Reaction score
Anyone jumping the gun and buying their Ram 1500 truck with a Hemi now before they are gone?
Does this new motor peak your interest and opting to wait for it to hit the market?

Anyone have any input on the new engine other than horsepower in the 1500 truck could be > 500.
Are they using a reputable design or did they design it themselves from the ground up?
Wish they would take care of there first customer.order a 2022 over 8 months ago was told today order is cancelled! You can put in order for a 23 some time maybe July. They want to start the 23 in September about 8,000 more **** you ram!

Dewey

Reaction score
I won’t be buying another truck for awhile so waiting to see how it all shakes out. Quite honestly I don’t see the Hemi going away anytime soon. If anything hope they get rid of the 5.7 and share the 6.4 non-supercharged with the rest of the base performance vehicles. Can’t see the Hellcat motor going away anytime soon either. Those Hellcats and TRX’s are big money makers and changing that motor to a 6 cylinder will kill sales pretty drastically. Guys want the V8 and don’t care about better gas mileage or hyperactive sewing machine motors that sound like crap.

Users who are viewing this thread