5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - No Hemi - Are you buying now or waiting for the new engine?

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Anyone jumping the gun and buying their Ram 1500 truck with a Hemi now before they are gone?
Does this new motor peak your interest and opting to wait for it to hit the market?

Anyone have any input on the new engine other than horsepower in the 1500 truck could be > 500.
Are they using a reputable design or did they design it themselves from the ground up?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Highly unlikely that Ram will "replace" the Hemi in 2023, if for no other reason than the first generation of anything vehicle related generally has bugs that need worked out after introduction. Imagine no v8 option, and the first-year T6 has an issue such as one the the two turbos crapping out - Ram sales would sink like an anchor. I would expect to see the v8 available concurrent with a new T6, at least for a year or two, if not longer.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know there won’t be a hellcat after 2023, but I don’t think it will disappear from the trucks for a couple more years. I am glad to see something in the works, but I just can’t get excited about a 6 cylinder. I’m sure it will perform well, but I love my V8. In my opinion, there is no need or benefit going to a v6. The V8 will be more reliable over the long haul than a supercharged 6 cylinder, sound better and get better mpg while towing. It’s better than a electric car though!

HemiDude

Reaction score
I know there won’t be a hellcat after 2023, but I don’t think it will disappear from the trucks for a couple more years. I am glad to see something in the works, but I just can’t get excited about a 6 cylinder. I’m sure it will perform well, but I love my V8. In my opinion, there is no need or benefit going to a v6. The V8 will be more reliable over the long haul than a supercharged 6 cylinder, sound better and get better mpg while towing. It’s better than a electric car though!
I'm with you on preferring the V8. Just have no interest in anything "less". FYI, there is already a V6 available for the Ram, the new engine will be an in-line 6, purportedly with twin turbos

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking that ram will do what they did with the 4th gen ram.

They will stop making the 4th gen rams (ds), and the current 5th gen rams (dt) will be the new classic (dt) and the next gen electric ram (going to guess that it will be the DU) will be in production along side the classic (DT) ram.

I also think that the next gen ram, they will have the gas turbo v6 and the all electric models to choose from...so you will still have gas to pickfrom. I think in the begining the v6 turbo would be built on a 3 to 1 radio compared to the electric one to see how it works.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That I6TT has the potential to be a torque monster. I would love to see that engine become a reality in the ram.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That I6TT has the potential to be a torque monster. I would love to see that engine become a reality in the ram.
Same here, I had plans of keeping my truck for a decade. If a TTI6 became a reality I might have to change those plans 🤣

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
The only thing that would make me trade is if they end up making the 6.4 optional in the 1500, which I could see happening before electric gets here. I will only have a V8 until I can no longer buy one. Nothing replaces the sound or feel for me. We've seen with the Grand Cherokee and Durango how Stellantis like to send a generation out with a bang. So we'll see.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The only thing that would make me trade is if they end up making the 6.4 optional in the 1500, which I could see happening before electric gets here. I will only have a V8 until I can no longer buy one. Nothing replaces the sound or feel for me. We've seen with the Grand Cherokee and Durango how Stellantis like to send a generation out with a bang. So we'll see.
I would tend to agree with this. I'd love to have a 1500 with the 6.4 Hemi. I'm just not holding my breath because I don't see them doing this.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds pretty awesome

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Silly questions. Would this new turbo engine require the high octane gas?
Also, with this engine supposedly being cheaper to manufacturer, could those savings be seen by the consumer???

HemiDude

Reaction score
Silly questions. Would this new turbo engine require the high octane gas?
Also, with this engine supposedly being cheaper to manufacturer, could those savings be seen by the consumer???
If it is a "high output" design, it may require higher octane due to advanced timing, to reduce the potential for detonation.
Could the savings be passed on? Absolutely. Would they? Since people are already willing to pay a premium for trucks that they use like cars, probably not much, if any.

BigD

Reaction score
I'm sure they will have the hemi available alongside the new turbo V6 just like Ford does with the coyote engine. 6.4 will never happen now with the dems in office. We are back to the mid 1970's in more ways than I care to think about.

billyraff

Reaction score
If the hemi got some updates, I’d consider staying with the V8. I’ve had three 5.7s in a row however, so I’d be more than ready to try out a I6TT, especially at the rumored 420 hp/460 tq. First year FCA bugs scare me though, my wife’s Grand Cherokee L is a mess.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If the hemi got some updates, I’d consider staying with the V8. I’ve had three 5.7s in a row however, so I’d be more than ready to try out a I6TT, especially at the rumored 420 hp/460 tq. First year FCA bugs scare me though, my wife’s Grand Cherokee L is a mess.

Despite the rumors, I don't see them going with a TT system on this engine. My thinking is more along the lines of what was said in the article jmt8706 posted, that it wil be a single twin scroll turbo producing somewhere between 370 - 400 HP. But it would be pretty cool if they did go with a TT and had those kinds of numbers.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'd give a years wages that for model year 2023 the hemi will still be there. I'd also be very surprised if the GME showed up at all before model year 2024.

Everybody seems to be overlooking the ED too, I suspect that it will remain for years yet as an option, they just redesigned it and since it meets emissions and has great MPG it would seem foolish to just stop offering it. So if the choice in 2024 is GME vs ED, I'd pick the ED without a seconds thought. I probably would have picked it over my hemi if it was an option back in 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread