5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Laramie flooded won’t start

John89

Reaction score
Hey guys, so we had flash flooding in my area and my truck won’t start. Water got into the engine… I have added new wheels (20” moto metal 962) and tires (Falken wildpeaks at3w 285/65r20). My question is, should I remove the wheels and tires and replace with oem wheels in the event it gets declared a total loss before the insurance does their inspection and makes a determination? Or should I just leave the car as is and then wait for them to tell me if it’s a total loss or not?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, so we had flash flooding in my area and my truck won’t start. Water got into the engine… I have added new wheels (20” moto metal 962) and tires (Falken wildpeaks at3w 285/65r20). My question is, should I remove the wheels and tires and replace with oem wheels in the event it gets declared a total loss before the insurance does their inspection and makes a determination? Or should I just leave the car as is and then wait for them to tell me if it’s a total loss or not?
Wait. They should give you the opportunity to return it to stock.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I totaled my 20, my insurance paid extra for upgrades. They aren't going to pay full cost though.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks! So sorry to hear. Insurance laws very state to state and companies have different policies so be carefull of any advise you get. What state are you in?

Legal Brief

Reaction score
It’s a total loss.. to much liability not to be, keep ur wheels if ur getting the same truck again or leave them if your not. Do not buy the salvaged truck, it will be nothing but hassles and no warranty.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
As long as you keep the receipts they will pay you out for full value.
Let them do a regular apprisial, then after getting the price provide them all the upgrades, every single one.

When my Mustang got totalled I ended up getting 5k over it's value price (was valued at 8k and I got 14.1k back after my 1k deductable). I only bought it used for $9,500 like 3 years before but I put chrome rims and new tires on it and a few other things.

With that said you don't need to accept the price, and you can return stuff back to stock as the value they are going to give you is based upon stock or any upgrades you have done. It's not like you are selling it to a dealership.

John89

Reaction score
Im located in FL, for reference. So, if they give me additional monies for the aftermarket parts but since it’s a lease the valuated/appraised cost of the vehicle may come back lower than what I owe right? Then I’d net really negative and come out of this with nothing.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get your wheels off now. You don't want to have to worry about it after the tow truck is sitting there or it's already at the tow yard and they hassle you about it. Been there, done that, twice now.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Get your wheels off now. You don't want to have to worry about it after the tow truck is sitting there or it's already at the tow yard and they hassle you about it. Been there, done that, twice now.
If they are going to tow it sure I guess.
I don't know any company that would tow at the same time as doing an appraisal. If it was declared a total loss they would of already told OP what the value is going to be.

Im located in FL, for reference. So, if they give me additional monies for the aftermarket parts but since it’s a lease the valuated/appraised cost of the vehicle may come back lower than what I owe right? Then I’d net really negative and come out of this with nothing.
Depends on what insurance you have. You should have gap coverage, which fills the gap if the truck is valuated at less then what is owed.
Since it's a lease I would expect your insurance policy to list all of that information, gap is not required on trucks purchased via loans, but most lease companies require it.

If you are really concerned just swap them back before.
I didn't know it was a lease, you don't own it so rules are different.

6of36

Reaction score
My 20 was a lease. Insurance paid off $9,000 more than pay off. Ally said it was their vehicle, therefore they kept the profit. Doesn't matter how much you put down. It's in their fine print. Don't ever lease through Ally. I got $800 for my step bars and tonneau, because they told Ally that much was for my add ons. It's more than I paid.

John89

Reaction score
My 20 was a lease. Insurance paid off $9,000 more than pay off. Ally said it was their vehicle, therefore they kept the profit. Doesn't matter how much you put down. It's in their fine print. Don't ever lease through Ally. I got $800 for my step bars and tonneau, because they told Ally that much was for my add ons. It's more than I paid.
I leased through Chrysler capital.. Hopefully it goes a bit smoother!

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Why do people lease? Is it because they can't afford the vehicle they want and they are attracted to the lower monthly cost? Is it because they swap out vehicles regularly? I just don't get it. I understand some folks have to do whatever is necessary, but leases are crazy to me (except in certain business fleet vehicle situations). You are essentially renting the truck, you are responsible for all wear & tear and any mileage overage. You likely won't see a dime from this. It isn't your truck....yet.

John89

Reaction score
Why do people lease? Is it because they can't afford the vehicle they want and they are attracted to the lower monthly cost? Is it because they swap out vehicles regularly? I just don't get it. I understand some folks have to do whatever is necessary, but leases are crazy to me (except in certain business fleet vehicle situations). You are essentially renting the truck, you are responsible for all wear & tear and any mileage overage. You likely won't see a dime from this. It isn't your truck....yet.
When I was shopping for a truck 3 months ago the interest rates they offered me was almost 7%. When I did the calculations, the total amount I would’ve paid would have been greater if I had financed than leased by a couple thousand dollars. So, yes I agree, on average it mostly is better to finance when you plan on keeping the vehicle but there are certain times in life that leasing will be a better financial option like in my case.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are many benefits to leasing. For me, it was lower cost long term, since I plan on buying out my lease at the end. Lower payments, plus I don't have to pay the sales tax in full cost of the truck. You only pay sales tax on the residual value at the end of lease. That alone will save me over $1000. And most people will roll the sals tax into the loan when purchasing, meaning they are paying interest on taxes for the full term of the loan, but Nebraska doesnt let you do that. You don't pay sales tax until you go to county courthouse to register the vehicle.

So if I would have financed, even with the 0% 72 months option that was available when I got my BTS, my monthly payments would have been higher by over $200 a month, and over $1000 more in sales tax. The only thing that sucks now is the interest rates have almost doubled since 2020 when I got it

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well...I'm a retired insuance adjuster, so for what it's worth , here goes. First off, the truck IS totaled. Engine is hydro locked, and no carrier wants to deal with that. As far as the wheels? If you want them, just take them off, and put stock set up back on, they add no value to the ins co. These totaled vehicles go to auction, and get minimum return due to being a flood vehicle. Now, a word about a/m accessories. Unless you have a rider on your policy for added coverage for said accessories, when a vehicle gets totaled, we generally would base value on a figure provided by one of several outside companies that do valuations nationally, they get those values from a software program that looks at all the data from sources like NADA, Kelly BB, and similar vehicles for sale in your area. There is some adjustment for a/m stuff, but it's not a ton of money. When I did Harley's some guys had $2k wheels on...we would just tell them "take em off and put oem back on, but the wheels add NO value to the bike for our purposes". Just remember....different carriers have different ways of doing business, and each state has different insurance laws. Good luck!

6of36

Reaction score
Depending on the lease. Without ordering, I have never gotten the truck I want, only what I would settle for, therefore I never bought at the end. I have had lease deals that would have made it stupid to purchase outright when I got them. By purchasing at the end of the lease would have saved almost $6,000. I don't remember the exact numbers, because it was a couple leases ago but for example, say the price was $55,000. Say price negotiated was $50,000. (Lease price is still based off of that price) Let's say total of lease payments, was $4000. The buy out at the end of the lease was $40,000. You would pay $6,000 less over all by leasing,then buying, then if you purchased originally. Not every lease works out that good. Plus, once you drive it for 2 or 3 years, you know whether it's a vehicle you want to keep.

John Galt

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter who you lease through. If you lease you don’t own it, the lease company does. That’s how leasing works. It’s a long-term rental. If the property value of the apartment you’re renting goes up while you’re living in it you don’t get the equity either.

Even if you take out a loan whoever provided the loan is part-owner until you’ve bought them out. Their name is on the title and they hold the title so it’s technically theirs until you buy them out and they’ve taken themselves off the title.

Ford is planning to start tracking vehicles with loans through Sync and making buyers agree that if they violate certain conditions of the loans Ford can immobilize the vehicle and send someone to retrieve it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shouldn't have contacted Ally until after insurance was processed. Then used insurance many to buy out Ally and keep the extrs. Or before informing Ally of the situations secured a loan to buy out the vehicles then used insurance money to pay off loan. There were ways around it

6of36

Reaction score
Shouldn't have contacted Ally until after insurance was processed. Then used insurance many to buy out Ally and keep the extrs. Or before informing Ally of the situations secured a loan to buy out the vehicles then used insurance money to pay off loan. There were ways around it
I never contacted Ally. The insurance pays off the leinholder. They only tell me what the insurance payoff is. It's up to them to pay the lessee. The insurance company said I could remove them, but the towing company said I couldn't remove anything from their lot. Ally tried keeping it all, until the insurance company said the amount added for aftermarket accessories. Other leasing companies do not have that policy.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Doesn’t matter who you lease through. If you lease you don’t own it, the lease company does. That’s how leasing works. It’s a long-term rental. If the property value of the apartment you’re renting goes up while you’re living in it you don’t get the equity either.

Even if you take out a loan whoever provided the loan is part-owner until you’ve bought them out. Their name is on the title and they hold the title so it’s technically theirs until you buy them out and they’ve taken themselves off the title.

Ford is planning to start tracking vehicles with loans through Sync and making buyers agree that if they violate certain conditions of the loans Ford can immobilize the vehicle and send someone to retrieve it.

Yes, there is no difference. Lease, "buy", if you make payments the truck is NOT yours. Miss a payment or two in either situation and they're sending a tow truck.

But for somebody who never misses payments and has good credit a lease used to be an amazing way to go. You could drive a brand new vehicle at half the monthly cost, plus less tax, and if you decided to buy it at the end you typically had immediate positive equity. It was a great option. TODAY it's not because last year when used vehicle prices went insane the banks holding leases lost their shirts. So now they protect themselves. "Money factor" (interest rate) on leases is sky high, and they have employed shady tactics to ensure they don't lose money. I had a Nissan lease through Nissan and they said I could ONLY turn the truck in at a Nissan dealership...no other brand. Today I have an Ally lease and they say that if I turn the truck in early they will tack on $9,000 in fees so I'm stuck with it until the end of lease. I'll never lease again now that they've screwed this once great option.

Under NO circumstances should you EVER lease with Ally. F Ally.

Users who are viewing this thread