5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Gas Door Cover

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The lock button on the gas door is about an inch back from the door edge. Most people fight with latching the door by trying to close it at the edge of the gas door, rather than over the latch. I'm sure service departments were getting many complaints about the gas door won't close! So, to fix it, they put a stupid dimple to show people where to push. Too many stupid people among us. BTW, I was one of those that struggled with getting the door to close until I realized I wasn't pushing over the latch.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
My 19, 20, and 21 didn't have the indent.

Very first thing I noticed on my 22 was the indent. I dont even think about it now, until I saw this thread.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
same here. I never paid attention to it. But my 22 Limited also has this. A bit of a pity but I don't really mind.

I am more concerned about the fact they can just suck out the gas as this fuel door doesn't lock when the car is locked. It is the first car I have that doesn't lock the fuel door with the other doors. But that is another topic.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
same here. I never paid attention to it. But my 22 Limited also has this. A bit of a pity but I don't really mind.

I am more concerned about the fact they can just suck out the gas as this fuel door doesn't lock when the car is locked. It is the first car I have that doesn't lock the fuel door with the other doors. But that is another topic.
Not as easy to siphon out gas as you think. You can't just stick a hose down into the tank and suck on it

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

People are too busy stealing vehicles I wouldn't worry too much about stealing gas

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not as easy to siphon out gas as you think. You can't just stick a hose down into the tank and suck on it
Can't you just put that little funnel that comes with all cars\trucks with no gas cap, and then put a hose into that?

You're right you can't fit a garden host, but a regular pump with a hose you get from harbor freight would fit right in, I think it costs $7.

I would rather someone siphon my gas then damage my truck with other methods of theft imo.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can't you just put that little funnel that comes with all cars\trucks with no gas cap, and then put a hose into that?

You're right you can't fit a garden host, but a regular pump with a hose you get from harbor freight would fit right in, I think it costs $7.

I would rather someone siphon my gas then damage my truck with other methods of theft imo.
Most gas thieves now just drill a hole in gas tank from under the truck. Easier to hide, and faster to drain

Slippy's Dad

Reaction score
My '23 Bighorn has it. I have actually found that the locator pin that holds the gas door closed can pretty easily get off-center if the door is pushed off-indent. The pin gets into that rubbery material that surround the fill tube and won't lock closed in its female receiver. Not sure if that is a hinge design issue or the metal is too thin to allow the slight twist in the door; but I now use the intent to open and close the fill door.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Most gas thieves now just drill a hole in gas tank from under the truck. Easier to hide, and faster to drain
Cmon bruh how much of this is going on????

I wouldn't worry about gas theft, we need to worry about cat theft.

db9

Reaction score

Agree, it'd take more time and effort to drill a gas tank, transfer gas, and then have to move all that gas than it takes to just steal the dang vehicle or steal the cat. Auto theft is out of control, gas theft idk. If you do get siphoned one time it's not that big of a deal, you're out what 60 bucks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Very little. I was just saying, most of the gas thefts in modern day are from drilling has tanks. Rarely is anyone siphoning fuel

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The lock button on the gas door is about an inch back from the door edge. Most people fight with latching the door by trying to close it at the edge of the gas door, rather than over the latch. I'm sure service departments were getting many complaints about the gas door won't close! So, to fix it, they put a stupid dimple to show people where to push. Too many stupid people among us. BTW, I was one of those that struggled with getting the door to close until I realized I wasn't pushing over the latch.

This is exactly why they put the dimple in the door. It's amusing reading complaints about a dimple in a gas door.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My '23 Bighorn has it. I have actually found that the locator pin that holds the gas door closed can pretty easily get off-center if the door is pushed off-indent. The pin gets into that rubbery material that surround the fill tube and won't lock closed in its female receiver. Not sure if that is a hinge design issue or the metal is too thin to allow the slight twist in the door; but I now use the intent to open and close the fill door.
I've never had an issue opening or closing my fuel door without a dimple to tell me where to push. I feel it's more to indicate you need to push for it to open, and not pry. The 05 Magnum I had before this you pushed on the hinge side to pop the door open. Once you figure it out the first time, it's not hard to remember.

HemiDude

Reaction score

Happens too often on repair shop lots and dealer lots, generally overnight. If the fuel tank drillers and cat stealers teamed up, what a super-villan mess that would be!

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happens too often on repair shop lots and dealer lots, generally overnight. If the fuel tank drillers and cat stealers teamed up, what a super-villan mess that would be!
I wonder what the super-villains name would be? Suggestions welcomed so we can have countermeasures.

6of36

Reaction score
I wonder what the super-villains name would be? Suggestions welcomed so we can have countermeasures.
Hopefully while they are doing both, they make a spark cutting off the cat. I'd be happy to pay the deductible for the totaled truck, if there was a dead burnt body left underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread