5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - 2024 1500 Speed Warning on 12" Display

Driver

Reaction score
I umderstand this feature in 4th gen but in the 23s and 24s how do you set the miles over speed limit? I see how to turn it ONLY on and off under vehicle, settings, and something like alarms.

In my new ride with 100mi on it, with speed warning on, I never set it off at even 15 over.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't think they are adjustable anymore with UC5. Even my 21 Durango, which they put UC5, before the trucks, you couldn't. If you turn it on, you get the warning 1MPH over the limit. I used to use it on my old trucks, and set it at like 6 or 7 over, so I could drive at 5 over. Now it's just off.

Driver

Reaction score
I found a copy of the 400 page uconnect radio manual that ram doesn't provide with the vehicle. It says it warns on speed, fixed at 3mph above the speed limit. Somewhere else I saw a mention of the speed limit sign on a nav screen turning red. Neither mentions anything about the user setting mph above the limit.

So idiots at Ram are not creating more options but less, here! It is probably some idiot engineer at Ram who doesn't have a driver's license or someone who didn't know the previous setup or didn't care.

Either way Ram seems completely ignorant of the likelihood that 90% of drivers, drive 5,6,7,8,9,or 10 mph over the limit. Been on an interstate lately?

It's a small item depending on where you drive, but going through small towns (often speed traps) the old user adjustable speed warning was a god send. So I spend 70k for a new truck, and now I have to ride a Garmin on my blankety blank dashboard with all the wires, just to regain the feature Ram dropped.

The ignorance of Ram designers is a shame.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What does it base the speed limit on? I ask because on my HUD, the speed limit shown (tied to Nav, I guess) is wrong. Not just when there's a temporary change like construction, but on regular roads.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was adjustable on my 2017 Laramie but after about a day I got tired of my truck bitching at me for exceeding the speed limit by 15 mph so I turned the feature off and never used it again.

With the new gen of truck they probably had to recode all those features to keep them working and decided some features were not that valuable to the customer and decided not to spend the time and cost recoding to make them work. My 2017 would also sound an alarm after a while if I didn't turn off my turn signal, but my 2023 will not.

6of36

Reaction score
What does it base the speed limit on? I ask because on my HUD, the speed limit shown (tied to Nav, I guess) is wrong. Not just when there's a temporary change like construction, but on regular roads.
It's based on the Tom Tom navigation system. Most areas it's pretty accurate, but I'v been on a few roads it's wrong. They don't have the information for all of the 100 million roads out there.

6of36

Reaction score
I found a copy of the 400 page uconnect radio manual that ram doesn't provide with the vehicle. It says it warns on speed, fixed at 3mph above the speed limit. Somewhere else I saw a mention of the speed limit sign on a nav screen turning red. Neither mentions anything about the user setting mph above the limit.

So idiots at Ram are not creating more options but less, here! It is probably some idiot engineer at Ram who doesn't have a driver's license or someone who didn't know the previous setup or didn't care.

Either way Ram seems completely ignorant of the likelihood that 90% of drivers, drive 5,6,7,8,9,or 10 mph over the limit. Been on an interstate lately?

It's a small item depending on where you drive, but going through small towns (often speed traps) the old user adjustable speed warning was a god send. So I spend 70k for a new truck, and now I have to ride a Garmin on my blankety blank dashboard with all the wires, just to regain the feature Ram dropped.

The ignorance of Ram designers is a shame.
My 2015, you could push the talk button, and send any text message you wanted. It was great for safety. They eliminated that feature too, and now can only send the preloaded messages they selected. I don't know why they choose to downgrade features they already engineered.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2015, you could push the talk button, and send any text message you wanted. It was great for safety. They eliminated that feature too, and now can only send the preloaded messages they selected. I don't know why they choose to downgrade features they already engineered.

My 2017 did not have carplay, but I could still communicate with my phone to do things like sending texts or check the weather by holding down the talk button for a couple of seconds.

I can still do the same thing with my current Ram. I still compose and send texts all the time by pushing the talk button.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's based on the Tom Tom navigation system. Most areas it's pretty accurate, but I'v been on a few roads it's wrong. They don't have the information for all of the 100 million roads out there.
Sorry, I forgot to put "sometimes." It's usually right, but not always.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's based on the HERE maps not Tom Tom, the person you responded to has a 2021.
Point being though it's based upon whatever nav the truck has.

6of36

Reaction score
My 2017 did not have carplay, but I could still communicate with my phone to do things like sending texts or check the weather by holding down the talk button for a couple of seconds.

I can still do the same thing with my current Ram. I still compose and send texts all the time by pushing the talk button.
Without connecting to carplay? I don't use carplay, or android auto. Neither my 20 or 24 will send anything other than preprogrammed messages, but my 15 could send any message.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Without connecting to carplay? I don't use carplay, or android auto. Neither my 20 or 24 will send anything other than preprogrammed messages, but my 15 could send any message.

Yes, without connecting to Carplay. You have to hold the talk button down for a few seconds until it beeps then you will be communicating with Siri instead of Uconnect. Just say something like "Send text to Joe" and Siri will come back over your trucks audio system asking what you would like the text to say. You can then dictate any text you want and Siri will send it.

My 2017 didn't even have Carplay and it worked. I just turned off Carplay on my phone and double-checked that it wasn't connected and it also worked on my 23.

Even without connecting to Carplay you can use the talk button and vehicles microphone and speakers to talk to Siri and get her to do most anything she would do if you were not in your vehicle. Occasionally some tasks require you unlock the phone first but texting does not.

According to Apple support it's a fairly standard feature on most any car that has a voice command button and allows you to connect your phone via Bluetooth. My 2019 Chevy Impala would operate the same way without Carplay.

From Apple Support: To connect iPhone to your car, use Bluetooth® (refer to the user guide that came with your car if you need to). To activate Siri, press and hold the voice command button on your steering wheel until you hear the Siri tone, then make a request.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My older Chevy didn't have AA or CP and you could only send "preprogrammed messages" but you could also create your own "preprogramed messages" so you would just keep deleting the last one and making a new one if you wanted to use the screen.

Yes, without connecting to Carplay. You have to hold the talk button down for a few seconds until it beeps then you will be communicating with Siri instead of Uconnect. Just say something like "Send text to Joe" and Siri will come back over your trucks audio system asking what you would like the text to say. You can then dictate any text you want and Siri will send it.

My 2017 didn't even have Carplay and it worked. I just turned off Carplay on my phone and double-checked that it wasn't connected and it also worked on my 23.

Even without connecting to Carplay you can use the talk button and vehicles microphone and speakers to talk to Siri and get her to do most anything she would do if you were not in your vehicle. Occasionally some tasks require you unlock the phone first but texting does not.

According to Apple support it's a fairly standard feature on most any car that has a voice command button and allows you to connect your phone via Bluetooth. My 2019 Chevy Impala would operate the same way without Carplay.

From Apple Support: To connect iPhone to your car, use Bluetooth® (refer to the user guide that came with your car if you need to). To activate Siri, press and hold the voice command button on your steering wheel until you hear the Siri tone, then make a request.
This is bypassing the truck to send it.
If you hold down the talk button it triggers your phone's assistance with handles the rest. So your truck is not sending the message, your phone is.

You can even change your Android phone to listen for a keyword (used to be the default of "hey google" and start listening and since it's connected via BT to your truck it would accept the request via the trucks microphone. Holding the button down would generally do the same thing.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is bypassing the truck to send it.
If you hold down the talk button it triggers your phone's assistance with handles the rest. So your truck is not sending the message, your phone is.

You can even change your Android phone to listen for a keyword (used to be the default of "hey google" and start listening and since it's connected via BT to your truck it would accept the request via the trucks microphone. Holding the button down would generally do the same thing.

Not exactly true but still irrelevant to the facts I posted in response to the claim that you cannot use the talk button to dictate a message.

It is initiated using your trucks talk button and it still uses your truck's microphones to hear the dictated message and commands and your trucks audio system for sound. Even with Carplay, it's still your phone sending the message; not your truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not exactly true but still irrelevant to the facts I posted in response to the claim that you cannot use the talk button to dictate a message.

It is initiated using your trucks talk button and it still uses your truck's microphones to hear the dictated message and commands and your trucks audio system for sound. Even with Carplay, it's still your phone sending the message; not your truck.
When you use your assistant (Siri\Google Assistant) it's audio passthrough to your phone. Your truck is not doing any work. It's no differnet then speaking into a headset.

When you send a message typed through your radio it is sending the information to your phone and sending it.
Siri is absorbing the information regardless of your radio's state when triggered and your radio does nothing except for audio passthrough.

This is no differnet than opening up your phone and holding down the home button and talking to Siri (which will play over your speakers and use your truck's microphone when connected via BT)

On some cars\trucks you can talk to the RADIO and IT will send the text information to your phone and send it NOT your phone's assistant.
My 2022 Ram does NOT have this feature.

They are completely differnet functions.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you use your assistant (Siri\Google Assistant) it's audio passthrough to your phone. Your truck is not doing any work. It's no differnet then speaking into a headset.

When you send a message typed through your radio it is sending the information to your phone and sending it.
Siri is absorbing the information regardless of your radio's state when triggered and your radio does nothing except for audio passthrough.

This is no differnet than opening up your phone and holding down the home button and talking to Siri (which will play over your speakers and use your truck's microphone when connected via BT)

On some cars\trucks you can talk to the RADIO and IT will send the text information to your phone and send it NOT your phone's assistant.
My 2022 Ram does NOT have this feature.

They are completely differnet functions.

More irrelevant nonsense. The only difference from the user's perspective is that you hold the talk button down for a second or two instead of a momentary press of the button.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
More irrelevant nonsense. The only difference from the user's perspective is that you hold the talk button down for a second or two instead of a momentary press of the button.
Except that couldn't be further from the truth.
ignorance is not bliss

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My older Chevy didn't have AA or CP and you could only send "preprogrammed messages" but you could also create your own "preprogramed messages" so you would just keep deleting the last one and making a new one if you wanted to use the screen.
My wife's 2020 Traverse won't even show text notifications from her iphone, let alone allow her to respond using the radio. I still get text notifications from my Pixel.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My comment was absolute fact. You don't know what you are talking about.
Your perceived idea of how the technology between the phone, phone's assistant (Google\Siri), radio, and microphone are flawed. You are acting like it all just works because of black magic.

Cars\trucks used to be able to accept voice input and then send the message on your behalf using your phone's bluetooth connection.
The current gem of Ram's can NOT do this, accept the voice input and send a text message.

What you are describing is an audio\mic passthrough to your phone where the radio does NOTHING and it just passes through the audio which means it's relying on the phone's assistant to actually do the work and it extremely reliant on the actuals brand of your phone, Apple, Samsung, and the rest of other Android brands all operate differnet in this respect as they all use different assistants by default with various levels of functionality.

If you don't use your phones assistant it will not be able to do anything, because the radio does nothing but passes audio through.

My wife's 2020 Traverse won't even show text notifications from her iphone, let alone allow her to respond using the radio. I still get text notifications from my Pixel.
Yep. The car manufacturers are making their radios integrate less with bluetooth and force people to run Carplay or Android Auto it seems. Likely less programming and support required as they can just hand off all the "work" to the device itself.

Chevy was (still?) pretty bad with this and would even try to send texts using Onstar and you need to know the right combinations or presses to use to have it send texts via your phone itself.

It even did this with navigation. If I tried to talk to my truck in the first 10-20 seconds of my 18 Silverado (with nav) turning on it would trigger the Onstar menu's nav which I didn't pay for. I had to wait a bit for the button to trigger the actuals truck's menu and then I could speak in nav directions with the same exact button.
This actually came in handy as I had the auto dimming mirror installed by the dealership pre-delivery but turns out that was the only way to trigger the free on-star trial as that's where the button was. if I was quick enough on a cold start I could use the push to talk button on the steering wheel to trigger onstar to get the 5 year trial of remote start\lock.

Users who are viewing this thread