5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - 2024 1500 Speed Warning on 12" Display

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your perceived idea of how the technology between the phone, phone's assistant (Google\Siri), radio, and microphone are flawed. You are acting like it all just works because of black magic.

Cars\trucks used to be able to accept voice input and then send the message on your behalf using your phone's bluetooth connection.
The current gem of Ram's can NOT do this, accept the voice input and send a text message.

What you are describing is an audio\mic passthrough to your phone where the radio does NOTHING and it just passes through the audio which means it's relying on the phone's assistant to actually do the work and it extremely reliant on the actuals brand of your phone, Apple, Samsung, and the rest of other Android brands all operate differnet in this respect as they all use different assistants by default with various levels of functionality.

If you don't use your phones assistant it will not be able to do anything, because the radio does nothing but passes audio through.

Every one of my comments have been fact specifically related to the false claim that you could not use the talk button to dictate a text message. Yet you keep interjecting nonsense that is completely irrelevant to the facts I have stated and irrelevant to the claim I was responding to.

The fact is you can dictate a text using the talk button, so the current generation of Ram can in fact accept a voice input and allow you to communicated with your phone over bluetooth without using Carplay. That's just a fact. When I hold the button down, I get a message in the upper left corner of the screen that says something like "Connecting to Siri". The radio is still facilitating that connection. There is no real difference from a user interface perspective and that's completely what the question I was responding to was about. Why on earth would I want or need the less reliable Uconnect software to interpret my words and then send the Uconnect translation to my phone when Uconnect facilitates using Uconnect to directly speak to my phone to dictate a text?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Every one of my comments have been fact specifically related to the false claim that you could not use the talk button to dictate a text message. Yet you keep interjecting nonsense that is completely irrelevant to the facts I have stated and irrelevant to the claim I was responding to.

The fact is you can dictate a text using the talk button, so the current generation of Ram can in fact accept a voice input and allow you to communicated with your phone over bluetooth without using Carplay.
This is all just bogus.
Your radio can NOT dictate a message.
I can setup my phone to respond to "Hey Ram" and talk to it while it sits in my pocket. Are you going to tell me my pocket is dictating the message because that's where my phone is?

uConnect5 (and likely uConnect4) does NOT allow message dictation to phones and only allows pre-canned messages to be sent from the truck itself.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JFC almighty.
The original claim was that the voice recognition button on the left steering wheel switch can only be used to make a canned response, then further clarified while not connected to CarPlay or AA. That would be true if you short press the VR button to bring up the TRUCK’S assistant.

I have UC5. If I am only connected to the truck via Bluetooth, and not CarPlay, I can long press the VR button and say “text wife”. Siri will then come through the TRUCK’S speakers and ask “what do you want to say to wife?”. This interaction is all done via the TRUCK’S microphones and speakers, regardless of the location of the phone itself or if the PHONE’S microphone/speaker is blocked.

So, from what I can experience in the above scenario, then I would be able to correctly say that you CAN use the VR button on the left steering wheel switch to dictate a message other than a canned response.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
JFC almighty.
The original claim was that the voice recognition button on the left steering wheel switch can only be used to make a canned response, then further clarified while not connected to CarPlay or AA. That would be true if you short press the VR button to bring up the TRUCK’S assistant.

I have UC5. If I am only connected to the truck via Bluetooth, and not CarPlay, I can long press the VR button and say “text wife”. Siri will then come through the TRUCK’S speakers and ask “what do you want to say to wife?”. This interaction is all done via the TRUCK’S microphones and speakers, regardless of the location of the phone itself or if the PHONE’S microphone/speaker is blocked.

So, from what I can experience in the above scenario, then I would be able to correctly say that you CAN use the VR button on the left steering wheel switch to dictate a message other than a canned response.
ONLY if the phone's assistant, which in your case on the iphone with Siri enabled allows it. It is no different then holding down your home button to call Siri.

You used to be able to dictate to the radio which would compose the message in your default texting app on your phone.

The truck can toggle your phone's assistant but nothing more, everything else depends on your OS, and brand of phone as Android in particular has several assistants and not all of them use the Android version of Siri (Google Assistant) by default.
On some phones this might be Google assistant, Siri, SVoice, Bixby, or something else all which requires slightly differnet syntax to talk to it vs if your truck
Once you are connected to your truck you are passing audio and microphone via BT to your phone, so obviously anything that uses those would work. No differnet then my Jabra headset that has NO voice commands but has a button that will call whatever assistant you are running, or do nothing if you don't have one like me.

If I long press my button on UC5 my phone does not respond became I don't have an assistant installed from the factory.

This is differnet then several years ago where your TRUCK would take what you were saying and then once you agreed on what it thought you said would send it to your default messaging app.
There is a difference.

The work is now up to your phone to do instead of the radio giving you a consistent experience until you change phones, or try to tell someone else how to use it i their truck with a differnet phone with a different assistant.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ONLY if the phone's assistant, which in your case on the iphone with Siri enabled allows it. It is no different then holding down your home button to call Siri.

You used to be able to dictate to the radio which would compose the message in your default texting app on your phone.

The truck can toggle your phone's assistant but nothing more, everything else depends on your OS, and brand of phone as Android in particular has several assistants and not all of them use the Android version of Siri (Google Assistant) by default.
On some phones this might be Google assistant, Siri, SVoice, Bixby, or something else all which requires slightly differnet syntax to talk to it vs if your truck
Once you are connected to your truck you are passing audio and microphone via BT to your phone, so obviously anything that uses those would work. No differnet then my Jabra headset that has NO voice commands but has a button that will call whatever assistant you are running, or do nothing if you don't have one like me.

If I long press my button on UC5 my phone does not respond became I don't have an assistant installed from the factory.

This is differnet then several years ago where your TRUCK would take what you were saying and then once you agreed on what it thought you said would send it to your default messaging app.
There is a difference.

The work is now up to your phone to do instead of the radio giving you a consistent experience until you change phones, or try to tell someone else how to use it i their truck with a differnet phone with a different assistant.
You are arguing just to argue at this point. Especially with Jimmy07. The fact remains, you CAN send voice to text messages by using the steering wheel controls. The way it works is irrelevant

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You are arguing just to argue at this point. Especially with Jimmy07. The fact remains, you CAN send voice to text messages by using the steering wheel controls. The way it works is irrelevant
I can't with my phone unless I install other apps on my Asus branded Android phone.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is all just bogus.
Your radio can NOT dictate a message.
I can setup my phone to respond to "Hey Ram" and talk to it while it sits in my pocket. Are you going to tell me my pocket is dictating the message because that's where my phone is?

uConnect5 (and likely uConnect4) does NOT allow message dictation to phones and only allows pre-canned messages to be sent from the truck itself.

LOL! Your ability to follow and comprehend a topic is very clearly flawed. Everything I have stated is fact. THINK HARDER. Your radio does not send a message; it's your phone. Uconnect either attempts to interpret your words and sends that translation to your phone to send the message or Uconnect facilitates your direct connection with Siri. Either way, Uconnect is facilitating using your phone to send a text. Without Uconnect the user would be stuck manually typing on their phone or yelling voice commands at their phone. These are just facts that only a fool would continue to argue with.

Nothing I have said was bogus in the slightest. I have only stated fact.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Uconnect either attempts to interpret your words and sends that translation to your phone to send the message
This is not how it works with UC5. "Just facts"

Either way, Uconnect is facilitating using your phone to send a text. Without Uconnect the user would be stuck manually typing on their phone or yelling voice commands at their phone.
Connecting with any bluetooth device that provides a microphone and having your phone configured to listen to "ok google" commands How to Use Google Assistant | All the 'OK, Google' Commands You Need | Digital Trends would allow you to send texts.

You can use this method on an early 2000 head unit that doesn't support anything except bluetooth audio\mic in the same way uconnect has regressed. You would be talking to your car\trucks mic not your phones.

This is up there for cars\trucks that no longer include GPS and force you to use AA or CP to get functionality that was there for years before and debatably could be better.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't with my phone unless I install other apps on my Asus branded Android phone.

Like I've been telling you all along, your arguments have been completely irrelevant to the facts I have posted.
This is not how it works with UC5. "Just facts"

Connecting with any bluetooth device that provides a microphone and having your phone configured to listen to "ok google" commands How to Use Google Assistant | All the 'OK, Google' Commands You Need | Digital Trends would allow you to send texts.

You can use this method on an early 2000 head unit that doesn't support anything except bluetooth audio\mic in the same way uconnect has regressed. You would be talking to your car\trucks mic not your phones.

This is up there for cars\trucks that no longer include GPS and force you to use AA or CP to get functionality that was there for years before and debatably could be better.

You don't know what you are talking about.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Like I've been telling you all along, your arguments have been completely irrelevant to the facts I have posted.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Darksteel is exactly right. You are the one who is wrong. Just the fact Siri is involved proves it. I disable android auto, like I always have done. I don't like it. My 2015 would text any message I wanted, my 2024 WILL NOT.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Darksteel is exactly right. You are the one who is wrong. Just the fact Siri is involved proves it. I disable android auto, like I always have done. I don't like it. My 2015 would text any message I wanted, my 2024 WILL NOT.

I never said Siri was not involved and my comments have been factually accurate. Also, nothing I have said also has any relevance to Android.

Go back and very carefully read your response #11 and what I said that you were responding to. Everything I have said is factually correct and specifically related to Carplay and the Iphone.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I never said Siri was not involved and my comments have been factually accurate. Also, nothing I have said also has any relevance to Android.

Go back and very carefully read your response #11 and what I said that you were responding to. Everything I have said is factually correct and specifically related to Carplay and the Iphone.
The original post was talking the infotainment system, not the phone. All your gibberish is talking Iphones. You are connected to carplay. Everything you babbled, has nothing to do with the post.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The original post was talking the infotainment system, not the phone. All your gibberish is talking Iphones. You are connected to carplay. Everything you babbled, has nothing to do with the post.

Wrong yet again. My response was directly related to the false claim YOU made in post #7 that you could not use the talk button to dictate a text message. My response was specifically about Carplay, which is IPhone specific, and you even replied questioning that it was possible without going through Carplay.

So, if you now wish to claim that talking about the phone is off topic gibberish then it was actually you that drug the thread off topic. You are making a fool of yourself to anyone who has actually read every post of the thread and comprehends the English language.

It is an absolute fact that, without CarPlay, you can use the talk button and to dictate and send a text message using your radio's microphones and speakers. The belief that this has nothing to do with the radio is complete nonsense. This process would not be possible without the Uconnnect radio. It even says on the radio that it's connecting to Siri.

BTW: The push and hold process I have described is also spelled out in the infotainment sections of both the owners manual and the Uconnect manual. It is a process that is facilitated by the infotainment system and would not be possible without it. Though it's not very clear in the manual, it does not require CarPlay be used. My last ram worked the same way and didn't even have CarPlay; it's just another function of the infotainment system.

I just downloaded the 2015 Ram manual and it appears a single press of the button only allowed you to select from predefined messages just like my 2017 did. If you were actually dictating complete texts you were probably following the process I have been describing all all along.

From 2015 Ram owners manual
2015.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread