5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi

roblitt

Reaction score
I made the jump for a new TV for my 5th Wheel, I don't drive this as a daily driver and have found that there is a loud "valve Tapping" sound for a few minutes after starting up. I know that it is "oil draw down" from sitting, but my question is what is being used with success to keep lubrication on the top end.. Service department at the dealership is less than helpful... I have never been a big fan of additives, especially on a new engine ( 700 miles ). Short of starting this every few days, has anyone found usable solution?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I made the jump for a new TV for my 5th Wheel, I don't drive this as a daily driver and have found that there is a loud "valve Tapping" sound for a few minutes after starting up. I know that it is "oil draw down" from sitting, but my question is what is being used with success to keep lubrication on the top end.. Service department at the dealership is less than helpful... I have never been a big fan of additives, especially on a new engine ( 700 miles ). Short of starting this every few days, has anyone found usable solution?

Some have had luck with a silicon ADBV in their oil filter. So something like Fram XG2 or RP 20-820 if those fit on your 2500.

6of36

Reaction score
I couldn't tell you for sure being you have a 6.4, but 5.7s are notorious for lifter tick when first started. It is just the leak down in the lifters, and doesn't seem to hurt anything, nothing is dry, but lifters are shorter than when they pump up. I saw a youtube video, that the guy claimed it was because the 0 weight oil is so thin. is why they leak down. He changed to 5w and it went away.

roblitt

Reaction score
I couldn't tell you for sure being you have a 6.4, but 5.7s are notorious for lifter tick when first started. It is just the leak down in the lifters, and doesn't seem to hurt anything, nothing is dry, but lifters are shorter than when they pump up. I saw a youtube video, that the guy claimed it was because the 0 weight oil is so thin. is why they leak down. He changed to 5w and it went away.
Thank you,makes sense, with only 700 miles i nwed to wait a while before changing oil. Again not a big additive fan. Again thNks fir the info.

6of36

Reaction score
I'm just posting this here, because this thread pertains to 2500s. I know the heavy duty site was having problems. If it is up, you can see if this is posted, and if not post it. They just recalled 350,000 heavy dutys, with diesel engines for fire risk. It goesback to iI think 2015, and goes to 2023.

RamCares

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you,makes sense, with only 700 miles i nwed to wait a while before changing oil. Again not a big additive fan. Again thNks fir the info.
I'm always leery of the factory fill, and like to change the oil on a new vehicle within the first 500 miles. Builder's lube, shavings produced from break in, etc. Get it out of there.

There's no rule saying you have to wait for your first OCI.

6of36

Reaction score
I'm always leery of the factory fill, and like to change the oil on a new vehicle within the first 500 miles. Builder's lube, shavings produced from break in, etc. Get it out of there.

There's no rule saying you have to wait for your first OCI.
I don't know if it apply s now to our engines, but there have been some engines, that specifically said do not change oil before first recommended change. They put special additives in the break in oil.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Your 6.4 uses 0w40. If it doesn’t make this noise starting daily and only when sitting extended periods, I wouldn’t worry about it and drive it. Change the oil and factory filter initially at 5k miles and then whenever oil service is indicated. Your engine has a 5/60 warranty and they’ll fix it if it fails as long as you maintain it.

If this noise happens everyday when engine cold at initial start, takes several minutes to stop when running, it could possibly have an exhaust leak that seals when engine warms.

My 2022 5.7 with 0w20 that sits 5-6 days between starting during the winter months (40* to -10*) makes almost no ticking noise when sitting extended periods. If it does tick at start it’s less than 5 seconds and is quiet. I keep a battery tender on it to keep the battery fully charged when sitting.

My 2011 5.7 with 5w20 was noisy all the time at initial start for the first 30 seconds. Went 180k miles when the lifter roller failed. These original lifters were redesigned in late 2017 with larger roller needles that improved longevity. It also developed the broken rear exhaust studs at over 60k miles that would make that loud ticking noise for several minutes at initial cold start until the engine warmed. Exhaust stud replacement fixed this.

roblitt

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares
Thank you for the reply: Dealer finally answered, suggesting NOT to use an additive- but to change to a heavier weight oil on the next Oil change ( as suggested above) . Sound like the path I will take once I get a few more miles on the new truck.

roblitt

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input and suggestions, Having been a Tundra owner for 15 years and wanting a heavier tow vehicle I was suprised at this in a NEW engine. I have a couple free oil chaanges so I am just going to get the 0-40 out and go with a heavier oil. Living in Texas not much of a need for a 0-40 oil.
Again, thanks for everyone's input for a "new" Ram guy. (kept my 2011 Tundra for backup :::)))

frisby5

Reaction score
Your 6.4 uses 0w40. If it doesn’t make this noise starting daily and only when sitting extended periods, I wouldn’t worry about it and drive it. Change the oil and factory filter initially at 5k miles and then whenever oil service is indicated. Your engine has a 5/60 warranty and they’ll fix it if it fails as long as you maintain it.

If this noise happens everyday when engine cold at initial start, takes several minutes to stop when running, it could possibly have an exhaust leak that seals when engine warms.

My 2022 5.7 with 0w20 that sits 5-6 days between starting during the winter months (40* to -10*) makes almost no ticking noise when sitting extended periods. If it does tick at start it’s less than 5 seconds and is quiet. I keep a battery tender on it to keep the battery fully charged when sitting.

My 2011 5.7 with 5w20 was noisy all the time at initial start for the first 30 seconds. Went 180k miles when the lifter roller failed. These original lifters were redesigned in late 2017 with larger roller needles that improved longevity. It also developed the broken rear exhaust studs at over 60k miles that would make that loud ticking noise for several minutes at initial cold start until the engine warmed. Exhaust stud replacement fixed this.
Mine sits alot , 2022 Bighorn. I was wondering about that. I just heard the tick last week on start up for 5 seconds. I was wondering if lube gaurd would help, its supposed to help for cars that sit alot its supposed to coat the lifters and other parts.

Users who are viewing this thread