5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500 Lineup Adds Rugged BackCountry Edition

TravisJ

Reaction score
Seems like stuff that will get upgraded anyway. My black rims a cooler than stock. The exhaust is getting upgraded too. I have all black badges, these are a couple hundred on ebay.

Floormats? Yea, got those too.
Cool, good for you?

I am not sure your point. People who buy these packages don’t typically upgrade them and it makes it a really good deal. If you like changing everything on the truck, this doesn’t make sense for you.

Redfour5

Reaction score
That's true, but the display in the gauge cluster isn't a touchscreen. The list I quoted says "7-inch touchscreen".
That is what confused me. TFL said 7 inch infotainment numerous others said 7 inch touchscreen.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Cool, good for you?

I am not sure your point. People who buy these packages don’t typically upgrade them and it makes it a really good deal. If you like changing everything on the truck, this doesn’t make sense for you.
Some things you need OEM on like 8.4 and LED package etc. Yes, you can get after market versions, BUT, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. I know from experience. Other things like sprayed in bedliner, tonneau have great after market alternatives. Even the bed utility can be bought from mopar after market. So, that distinction is important to me.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some things you need OEM on like 8.4 and LED package etc. Yes, you can get after market versions, BUT, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. I know from experience. Other things like sprayed in bedliner, tonneau have great after market alternatives. Even the bed utility can be bought from mopar after market. So, that distinction is important to me.

You can get all of it aftermarket…including LED headlights….you just pay more for them if you go OEM.

For me, I decided to get things that you can’t get aftermarket.. like a rambox and pano sunroof. For me I was picking either rambox or led package. Sure…I do like the led package ( and I know I will pay more to get it aftermarket, but I never had the rambox.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Redfour5

Reaction score
7-inch touchscreen? Typo perhaps?
I might think so, but it is repeated in numerous articles. The only one that said it differently was TFL trucks where they called it 7 inch infotainment.

TravisJ

Reaction score

Sure, I’m not saying you can’t get the stuff aftermarket or something similar. I just find it real strange when someone has to come bash something just because they would replace all the stuff in the package. Especially when he is referring to cosmetic things that are purely opinion like his aftermarket black rims being cooler. I don’t even need a picture of his truck to know his rims probably look really dumb to me. That is because I think most aftermarket rims look ridiculous and dumb….but if he likes that and it works for him, good for him.

It is a very functional package if you want the things in it. If you want to replace stuff or some of it you simply weren't going to get…not so much.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is what confused me. TFL said 7 inch infotainment numerous others said 7 inch touchscreen.
I might think so, but it is repeated in numerous articles. The only one that said it differently was TFL trucks where they called it 7 inch infotainment.
Neither of those is correct either. The 7 inch screen is the driver info screen in the gauge cluster. It is not a touchscreen. The infotainment screen, which as everyone here knows is also a touchscreen, is the 5", 8.4", or 12.1" inch uconnect screen. The fact that so many articles are saying 7 inch touchscreen leads me to believe there may be some collaboration between them.
You can get all of it aftermarket…including LED headlights….you just pay more for them if you go OEM.

For me, I decided to get things that you can’t get aftermarket.. like a rambox and pano sunroof. For me I was picking either rambox or led package. Sure…I do like the led package ( and I know I will pay more to get it aftermarket, but I never had the rambox.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Yes, it's true that you can get most of that aftermarket. But if something goes wrong you will have to deal with different manufacturers for repair. And the warranty for most of those things is maybe a year. Unless you bought those things locally you'll have to ship it back to the factory for repair. It's worth it for me at least to be able to deal with one company for anything that goes wrong. And all of it is warrantied for 3 years unless you exceed 12k miles a year. I'm not faulting anyone who likes upgrading their trucks. I'm just pointing out that it's not just about how much the parts cost to buy.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Neither of those is correct either. The 7 inch screen is the driver info screen in the gauge cluster. It is not a touchscreen. The infotainment screen, which as everyone here knows is also a touchscreen, is the 5", 8.4", or 12.1" inch uconnect screen. The fact that so many articles are saying 7 inch touchscreen leads me to believe there may be some collaboration between them.

Yes, it's true that you can get most of that aftermarket. But if something goes wrong you will have to deal with different manufacturers for repair. And the warranty for most of those things is maybe a year. Unless you bought those things locally you'll have to ship it back to the factory for repair. It's worth it for me at least to be able to deal with one company for anything that goes wrong. And all of it is warrantied for 3 years unless you exceed 12k miles a year. I'm not faulting anyone who likes upgrading their trucks. I'm just pointing out that it's not just about how much the parts cost to buy.
I agree to disagree

My point in all of this is that for most folks here, due to cost, won't be able to check off everything on the "want" list, compared to what they "need". If you can afford everything on your "want" list, go have at it...you can get whatever you want. My only suggestion for those that have deeper pockets is to upgrade to a higher trim like a rebel.

My "soon to be good online buddy" is ordering the same package, deanno30, priorities is the LED headlights. Good for him...and I'm happy to have a fellow back country folk to bounce ideas off of. I think that is what this back country post is about.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure, I’m not saying you can’t get the stuff aftermarket or something similar. I just find it real strange when someone has to come bash something just because they would replace all the stuff in the package. Especially when he is referring to cosmetic things that are purely opinion like his aftermarket black rims being cooler. I don’t even need a picture of his truck to know his rims probably look really dumb to me. That is because I think most aftermarket rims look ridiculous and dumb….but if he likes that and it works for him, good for him.

It is a very functional package if you want the things in it. If you want to replace stuff or some of it you simply weren't going to get…not so much.
Not bashing. Just showing that your opinion is without a shadow of a doubt wrong.

See. Now you are feeling all but hurt because someone did not think it was as cool as you did.😫 It will be ok. We are all still allowed to think differently here in the US.🇺🇸

For now......😳

Last edited:

deanno33

Reaction score
My "soon to be good online buddy" is ordering the same package, deanno30,
Ha, you bet! The BackCountry is great for me personally. Everything I planned to order anyway...only cheaper. My only gripe is the 18" wheels but I just picked up some new 20" take offs that I'll put some 33s on. So, all set and plan to make no other mods. Well, maybe katzkins but we'll see.

Attachments

• 20210722_162030.jpg
    20210722_162030.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 17

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ha, you bet! The BackCountry is great for me personally. Everything I planned to order anyway...only cheaper. My only gripe is the 18" wheels but I just picked up some new 20" take offs that I'll put some 33s on. So, all set and plan to make no other mods. Well, maybe katzkins but we'll see.
Awesome. To tie me over on what I want to do with the stock halogen lights, I bought some LED bulbs to at least upgrade that.

So far I have (most of this is pull offs from my 2020 laramie when I traded that in)

* rough country wheel liners (we both agree that it should have been part of the package)
* LED tailgate light strip for the rear.
*swap the black tow hooks for the custom painted one I have from my old laramie
* vararam cold air intake with blue painted top
* blue catch can
* rough country light bar for my front bumper
* rough country ram hd2 running boards (I just might sell these..or swap...depends on how the oem running boards are)
* 12" screen protector

Things on my list:

* LED tail lights. Im not a big fan of the oem LED tail lights. I had them on laramie before, and it just wasn't my cup of tea.

*bull bar. Don't know how this will work with my license plate

*remove the bottom front air dam for more clearance

* LED light interior. In my laraime it was super dark. I want it a little brighter.

Yeah...I know...rough country stuff.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Redfour5

Reaction score
Does anyone know why they put 18 inch wheels on them? I do know they put 17's on my 2015 Outdoorsman and it was specifically related to its "intended use" on that package...as I remember from reading articles and questions answered back then... I was always cool with that and the KO2's, cost about 175 less on the 17's.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know why they put 18 inch wheels on them? I do know they put 17's on my 2015 Outdoorsman and it was specifically related to its "intended use" on that package...as I remember from reading articles and questions answered back then... I was always cool with that and the KO2's, cost about 175 less on the 17's.
The 5th Gen trucks have larger brake calipers, and 17’s won’t fit around them. Even some aftermarket 18’s won’t fit.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5th Gen trucks have larger brake calipers, and 17’s won’t fit around them. Even some aftermarket 18’s won’t fit.
Well I'm hoping to see if I can wrap those suckees in 34"-35" tires. Would obviously need some kind of small lift to go with it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The general idea is that off-road vehicles need more sidewall (you don’t want to bend a shiny rim doing real truck stuff). The BackCountry is definitely more off-road-oriented.

Redfour5

Reaction score
The general idea is that off-road vehicles need more sidewall (you don’t want to bend a shiny rim doing real truck stuff). The BackCountry is definitely more off-road-oriented.
That was it. The reason for the 17's. I remember that being discussed. The interesting thing to me was that in REAL off road truck stuff, the first thing people do is let the air out of the tires... And I do know why...I simply had noted the dichotomy.

Last edited:

Mathis35

Reaction score
I'm ordering my Back Country as soon as the Olive Green Pearlcoat releases (supposed to be in August according to my salesman). He's trying to make sure it's even going to be offered with this package but isn't getting a clear response sadly. If it doesn't release in the first week of August I'll switch colors.

I'll be going with a lot of the additions mentioned above and hoping for 0% financing when the truck finally comes in lol. The Back Country seems like a combination of the night edition (but with matte black like the built to serve) and a number of other packages.

The print out from the dealership for the Back Country package listed the 7 inch instrument cluster, and forced me to select either the 8.4 or 12 inch infotainment. There was no 7 inch infotainment option.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The print out from the dealership for the Back Country package listed the 7 inch instrument cluster, and forced me to select either the 8.4 or 12 inch infotainment. There was no 7 inch infotainment option.
And there's the answer! Definitive proof that all the news stories are wrong. SMH...it's amazing to me how often this happens in the mainstream press.

deanno33

Reaction score
I'm ordering my Back Country as soon as the Olive Green Pearlcoat releases (supposed to be in August according to my salesman).
I would have ordered that color on mine had it been available. My dealer never mentioned it as a potential option coming later. I ordered the white. Generally I'm not a huge fan of white due to bugs on the front bumper and side mirrors, but since the backcountry has black bumpers and mirrors, I went the white route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online