5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500 amp install (hk system)

cm122054

Reaction score
I haven’t even bought an amp yet but am researching how to install one to determine if I can do it myself or if I need to use a local shop. I think I’ll also have to rerun some door speaker wires. After watching some videos the basics of installing an amp seem doable for me, but there’s still quite a few things I don’t understand about how to do it in my particular vehicle.

Need:
-Amp (planning Audison AP F8.9, plus I’ll add a sub amp down the road)
-An upgraded battery (is this necessary?)
-Amp wiring kit
-PAC AmpPro AP4-CH41 (plus maybe a toslink adapter? Still learning what this is/does)
-APH CH42 harness to plug into the factory amp under the drivers seat so I don’t have to cut factory wires. (Will I then tie those wires on the harness directly to the amp?)

Anything I’m missing?

From some reading it also looks like the wiring for the upper door midrange speaker in the Harmon Kardon system may run off the 6x9 in the same door. Since I’m planning to use an amp/dsp I’m guessing I’ll have to run new speaker wire so that upper door speaker has its own channel to tune from the dsp?

Sorry for all the questions, maybe I’m best off just taking it in to a shop but then I just have less money for speakers. Plus I enjoy this stuff if I feel like I understand what needs to be done. Sound deadening the truck took a ton of work but it was kinda fun.

Brunzca

Reaction score
I haven’t even bought an amp yet but am researching how to install one to determine if I can do it myself or if I need to use a local shop. I think I’ll also have to rerun some door speaker wires. After watching some videos the basics of installing an amp seem doable for me, but there’s still quite a few things I don’t understand about how to do it in my particular vehicle.

Need:
-Amp (planning Audison AP F8.9, plus I’ll add a sub amp down the road)
-An upgraded battery (is this necessary?)
-Amp wiring kit
-PAC AmpPro AP4-CH41 (plus maybe a toslink adapter? Still learning what this is/does)
-APH CH42 harness to plug into the factory amp under the drivers seat so I don’t have to cut factory wires. (Will I then tie those wires on the harness directly to the amp?)

Anything I’m missing?

From some reading it also looks like the wiring for the upper door midrange speaker in the Harmon Kardon system may run off the 6x9 in the same door. Since I’m planning to use an amp/dsp I’m guessing I’ll have to run new speaker wire so that upper door speaker has its own channel to tune from the dsp?

Sorry for all the questions, maybe I’m best off just taking it in to a shop but then I just have less money for speakers. Plus I enjoy this stuff if I feel like I understand what needs to be done. Sound deadening the truck took a ton of work but it was kinda fun.
You’re on the right track,as far as what you need. A few pointers.
- you don’t need to re-run any speaker wire for the doors, the 3.5s in the doors are wired separately from the 6x9s With the HK system.
-unless you’re planning to run a 2500+ watt sub amp, you don’t need a new battery, additional power, etc. I have a helix v8 and a 1750 watt sub amp on the stock battery. Just use a 0 gauge cable, to ensure you have the most available. Then you can use a distribution block to split it
-Toslink gives you an Optical signal. You want this. a) it’s the cleanest signal, b) you only need to run two cables from the AP4-CH41 to the amp (optical and remote on), c) you don’t need to worry about gain adjustments for your dsp-clipping really isn’t an issue with optical signal (at least for the helix)
- if you haven’t yet… download and play with the Audison software before you buy. I bought the Forza 8.9, installed it, then ripped it out and sold it 24 hours later because tuning the thing was a PITA

cm122054

Reaction score
- you don’t need to re-run any speaker wire for the doors, the 3.5s in the doors are wired separately from the 6x9s With the HK system.
-unless you’re planning to run a 2500+ watt sub amp, you don’t need a new battery, additional power, etc. I have a helix v8 and a 1750 watt sub amp on the stock battery. Just use a 0 gauge cable, to ensure you have the most available. Then you can use a distribution block to split it
-Toslink gives you an Optical signal. You want this. a) it’s the cleanest signal, b) you only need to run two cables from the AP4-CH41 to the amp (optical and remote on), c) you don’t need to worry about gain adjustments for your dsp-clipping really isn’t an issue with optical signal (at least for the helix)
- if you haven’t yet… download and play with the Audison software before you buy. I bought the Forza 8.9, installed it, then ripped it out and sold it 24 hours later because tuning the thing was a PITA
This is so helpful, thank you. Very glad that I won’t be having to run new speaker wires also, that part sounded like the worst part. Haven’t looked into the Audison software but will do that, thanks for the tip.

cm122054

Reaction score
A couple quick follow up questions.

1. Does that mean all 19 (11 + sub really if not counting coax) speakers in the system are wired separately? Just want to make sure I understand correctly that they could each have their own channel without running new wires.

2. You may not know this, but would any of that be different for a truck with e-torque? Mine has it and I don’t know if that would make a difference as far as its ability to run on the factory battery.

Brunzca

Reaction score
A couple quick follow up questions.

1. Does that mean all 19 (11 + sub really if not counting coax) speakers in the system are wired separately? Just want to make sure I understand correctly that they could each have their own channel without running new wires.

2. You may not know this, but would any of that be different for a truck with e-torque? Mine has it and I don’t know if that would make a difference as far as its ability to run on the factory battery.
1. Yes- the 3 dash speakers (L, R, C), 4 front door, 2 rear door, 2 rear headliner, and sub all have individual wiring. No need to rewire any of them.
2. no diff for etorque. My last truck was etorque, the stereo wiring is the same, and ran the same amps

Brunzca

Reaction score
Also- you need an additional harness for the ap4-ch41 for ‘22 and newer models. I’ll try and find The part# and post it later

cm122054

Reaction score
1. Yes- the 3 dash speakers (L, R, C), 4 front door, 2 rear door, 2 rear headliner, and sub all have individual wiring. No need to rewire any of them.
2. no diff for etorque. My last truck was etorque, the stereo wiring is the same, and ran the same amps
That’s great to hear! You’ve saved me so much headache, and probably several others that come across this thread down the road. Appreciate it

McDew608

Reaction score
Great info! Did you have to cut the harness coming out of the HK amp? How exactly do you get access to the 11 speaker wires?

Brunzca

Reaction score
Great info! Did you have to cut the harness coming out of the HK amp? How exactly do you get access to the 11 speaker wires?
You don't have to cut any stock wires. You unplug the exisiting harness, and replace it with the PAC aph-ch03. That gives you leads for all the speakers.

APH-CH03

Users who are viewing this thread