5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 eTorque Surge When Starting To Move

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the difference it between the 2021 to 2022. It sounds like they changed the programming to be like your BMW. What I have noticed is there is a dead spot when I accelerate after coming to a stop where the transmission "slams" into gear. Slam really is too strong of a word, but I don't know a better way to explain it. It just kind of hits harder than I think it should. If I turn off the autoshut off everything is smooth so it definitely has to do with the eTorque system.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 22 and haven't had any issues. The truck shuts off as I'm coming to a stop, but if I don't hear it I don't even notice. Haven't had any issues with it starting back up either. Only time I notice it is when I accelerate too quickly, as described earlier.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 22 and haven't had any issues. The truck shuts off as I'm coming to a stop, but if I don't hear it I don't even notice. Haven't had any issues with it starting back up either. Only time I notice it is when I accelerate too quickly, as described earlier.
Thanks. That confirms something is off with mine.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. That confirms something is off with mine.
Definitely sounds unusual. I drove a handful of 21 and 22 Rams when I was truck shopping last fall, and didn't notice that behavior in any of those either.

mcat79

Reaction score
Same here, my new 2022 (~300 miles) Laramie with eTorque has a similar Jerky'ness to it. I feel like it downshifts too soon or if I hit it too hard coming from a rolling stop I will get the kick. It is hard to explain.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing when I received my '22 recently and didn't care for the way stop/start felt...so I installed the Autostop Eliminator...problem solved :)
I better order one. So far I’m not liking the sound of this stop/start stuff. I like the option to override the system and default to off. Tried to change my order to a non e-torque motor early on in the order process but was too late.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here, my new 2022 (~300 miles) Laramie with eTorque has a similar Jerky'ness to it. I feel like it downshifts too soon or if I hit it too hard coming from a rolling stop I will get the kick. It is hard to explain.
It is hard to explain. It for would not be described as smooth. Like I think I mentioned in my first post, but the 2021/2020's I drove sold me on the eTorque. I was almost undetectable when starting/stopping.

Islander

Reaction score
I better order one. So far I’m not liking the sound of this stop/start stuff. I like the option to override the system and default to off. Tried to change my order to a non e-torque motor early on in the order process but was too late.
Yeah for $90 and the 5 min it took to install...it's just a easy way to turn it off and forget about it...I know lots of people like start/stop though...not my cup o' tea

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My Ram is just over a week old with about 500 miles on it, so pretty new. I’ve noticed that the engine start/stop is not very smooth when pulling away from a stop with the engine off. I take my foot off the brake, the truck starts to roll and the engine starts. The transition between what I am assuming is the eTorque motor and the gas engine is kind of rough. Like it surges, or jolts…hard to explain.

The Rams I test drove with eTorque did not exhibit this behavior. If fact, I had a hard time telling when the transition happened. In particular a 2019 model year was really smooth. It was used with 50k on it. I do not recall if I test drove a 2022 or not. I drove a bunch, both regular and eTorque and the smoothness of the transitions stood out to me.

Is this normal behavior for 2022’s or ??
My 22 limited works just like this. Feels like the electric motor goes very hard when I take my foot off the brake I thought that was the whole point? Something about the electric motor is suppose to do the first half turn, and when you take your foot off the brake it assumes you want to go so it engages.
If you let it go and don't put your foot on the gas your speed stops so I don't think it's the gas motor, but the electric one doing what it's designed for. You can't control the electric motor I would assume and thus the gas peddle (its in the name) only controls the gas motor not electric.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have found the surge is worse if I take my foot off the brake quickly and go to the gas. If I take my foot off the brake and don't do anything for maybe a second or two and then hit the gas, it's not too bad but that's not how I drive. I also don't drive super fast either. I think I drive kinda normal.

tomme12

Reaction score
I think some software update is required for it work right. My 22 Rebel does the same stuff. Im not a fan of pulling into my garage and it shuts off as Im rolling in, it then starts up again and surges a little as i try to inch forward to park where I want it. If you are not used to it, someone may have a little fender bender with it.

Snekpete

Reaction score
This sounds a lot like a bad Throttle Position Sensor, I'd try calibrating it first and if that doesn't work replacing it.

Last edited:

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This sounds a lot like a bad Throttle Position Sensor, I'd try calibrating it first and if that doesn't work replacing it.
This I did think about but couldn't find a way to do it on these myself. In the last there were ways you could do it by pressing the throttle all the way down over so many seconds or something.

Do know a way to do it or would it be something the shop has to do?

Snekpete

Reaction score
This I did think about but couldn't find a way to do it on these myself. In the last there were ways you could do it by pressing the throttle all the way down over so many seconds or something.

Do know a way to do it or would it be something the shop has to do?
There are several different and sometimes conflicting methods on the internet, but this is what I've done:

1) Push the start/stop button twice to run, foot off the brake so the motor doesn't start
2) Wait for everything to boot/stabilize
3) Slowly push the acc pedal to the floor
4) Hold it there for 10-15 seconds
5) Slowly release the acc pedal
6) Turn ignition off
7) Open the door

Claude Henry

Reaction score
It's unfortunate they made changes to the eTorque system in the '22s and seem to have made it worse. I love it in my '21. I'm impressed with how smooth it is compared to other vehicles with auto stop/start systems. The only reason I know when it stops and restarts the engine is because it's so much quieter than my performance exhaust. I wonder why they thought it needed to be "improved." Just the cutting of the engine before being fully stopped?

Louhound88

Reaction score
When it happens, are you in ECO mode? I have a 21 with etorque and it's smooth, only shuts off when i'm stopped for a second, etc etc.

But at times when i'm coasting to a redlight knowing it will turn green, i'll go from coasting/stopping to gas pretty quick. At times too quick for the ECO to cancel and all cyclinders to resume. It feels a little jolty.

If it's not an eco thing, can you see what your rpm's do when it restarts and does it?

jgc650i

Reaction score
I recently went to a '22 eTorque from a '19 eTorque. Love my '22 overall but not a fan of the changes they made to the start/stop. I don't have an issue with the start when it's from a full and complete stop. That said, I find the shutdown while still moving when coming to a rolling stop to be awful. What were they thinking? it's a nuisance. When it restarts before you make it to a full stop, I definitely think it's overly aggressive. It's not uncommon to need to come back off the brake a bit while rolling to a stop even if you still plan to fully stop. Like for example when the car in front of you at a light moves up a little further before you reach a full stop and you let up on the brake a titch to close the gap in your roll to a stop. When you do that in this new setup it's a hodge podge of engine on and off and lunging activity that's poorly tuned if not dangerous. I thought the start/stop in the '19 was flawless, the '22 is not even close IMO.

Bavet

Reaction score
I recently went to a '22 eTorque from a '19 eTorque. Love my '22 overall but not a fan of the changes they made to the start/stop. I don't have an issue with the start when it's from a full and complete stop. That said, I find the shutdown while still moving when coming to a rolling stop to be awful. What were they thinking? it's a nuisance. When it restarts before you make it to a full stop, I definitely think it's overly aggressive. It's not uncommon to need to come back off the brake a bit while rolling to a stop even if you still plan to fully stop. Like for example when the car in front of you at a light moves up a little further before you reach a full stop and you let up on the brake a titch to close the gap in your roll to a stop. When you do that in this new setup it's a hodge podge of engine on and off and lunging activity that's poorly tuned if not dangerous. I thought the start/stop in the '19 was flawless, the '22 is not even close IMO.
This is exactly how I feel. Had a 2019 eTorque and loved it. They were thinking they could improve their city CAFE numbers. But I have other issues that I think are related to the Stop/Start function. My biggest problem is that my transmission will not drop into gear going from P to D or P to R until I'm half way off the brake, then it clunks in. Doesn't do it in Tow/Haul mode or Manual mode but it still does it if I turn off Stop/Start. Doesn't make sense.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think enough people need to complain about it so they fix the problem. This isn’t acceptable and sounds like a safety issue.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's unfortunate they made changes to the eTorque system in the '22s and seem to have made it worse. I love it in my '21. I'm impressed with how smooth it is compared to other vehicles with auto stop/start systems. The only reason I know when it stops and restarts the engine is because it's so much quieter than my performance exhaust. I wonder why they thought it needed to be "improved." Just the cutting of the engine before being fully stopped?
I agree 1000%. I bet they get a tiny bit of extra mpg out of if when it shuts off while rolling to a stop. I wonder if the initial push is a bit longer too.

Users who are viewing this thread