5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Big Horn Speaker Upgrade Nightmare!!

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
First, I still can't find a separate 'Audio' section here in the 5th Gen Forums... it sure would be nice if there was one, would make looking for audio related questions/answers a lot easier.

So, I got my Skar Audio TX69s and TX35s the other day... along with the Metra 72-6514 adapters for my 2022 Big Horn. Got all my tools out last night since the weather was decent... "sweet, let's knock this out"!! Nope. First, the 3.5" speaker adapters are not the 72-6514s... didn't know that, even from reading a bunch of posts on audio system/speaker upgrades here and other forums. So, since I couldn't put those in... onto the door 6x9's.

Second, as some have shared... the Metra 72-6514s have the polarity reversed. Ugh. Can't someone have fixed this by now?!? I thought, screw it... I'll solder the wires on... for a better connection anyways. Third, I go to actually put the speaker into the mounting position... it DOESN'T FIT!?! WTF??? The speaker itself is too big. The 'basket' part, where it starts to curve out from the flat part is about 1/2" too long, length-wise. Jesus.

Fourth, I noticed the front dash speakers (3.5") were 8 ohms... what?!? I thought folks were saying everything was 2 ohms, and when changing to 4, you'd need more power to drive them for loudness? Seems odd for an 8 ohm to be in a modern vehicle nowadays.

I came to the conclusion that I need to try some spacers... another thing I didn't know. I read the Skar Audio 6x9's were "drop in" ready. Very frustrating to say the least... as I didn't get anything done.

I got spacers and Red Wolf front dash speaker adapters on order (the correct ones)... hoping to complete the install Saturday or Sunday. These speakers better sound good for all I'm going through here!! 🙄🤞🤞

Hope some of this info helps others... so they don't go down the same road I did and waste 2+hrs.

Gregg

P.S. For the life of me, I couldn't get the handle release cable to come out of the door panel. I've watched numerous YT videos on how to remove the door panels, but my 22' doesn't have the 2 'tabs' to squeeze together to remove the cable, then twist the silver end to remove. So I had to get the speaker out and in with resting the door panel on the running board... which is next to impossible.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• 20231102_162331.jpg
    20231102_162331.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231102_162806.jpg
    20231102_162806.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231102_171935.jpg
    20231102_171935.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231102_181428.jpg
    20231102_181428.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 31

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If I remember right, each system is different OHMs. So, the basic system probably is 8 OHMs.

Lincoln_Hawk

Reaction score
dash speakers 8ohm
door speakers 2ohm

This is on the base 6-speaker system....FaitalPro 3fe22 3" 8ohm are amazing for the money in the dash especially if you don't wanna add an amp...Infinity is a popular choice for the doors since they're so efficient.

This is the setup I have in mine actually and it's most definitely a huge improvement. Also added a powered 10" JL sub under the rear seat.

Last edited:

Cap1500rebel

Reaction score
dash speakers 8ohm
door speakers 2ohm

This is on the base 6-speaker system....FaitalPro 3fe22 3" 8ohm are amazing for the money in the dash especially if you don't wanna add an amp...Infinity is a popular choice for the doors since their so efficient.

This is the setup I have in mine actually and it's most definitely a huge improvement. Also added a powered 10" JL sub under the rear seat.
Did you disable the noise cancellation?

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I never noticed any difference when I removed the ANC in my truck. But I have a Rebel and I'm sure it's noisier than the regular trucks. Disconnect it and drive around and see if you can tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread