5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 5.7 (no etorque) -- 0w-20 vs 5w-30

RedFred

Reaction score
I have never seen a code come up for not using the recommended oil viscosity. I have been using 5w-30 in all my cars including my 2015 hemi which has been getting 5w-30 for the last 100k miles.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree to disagree. It might be the same 5.7 motor but I'm SURE the electronics and sensors are different then what it was in the past. The newer 5.7 engine (starting roughly around 2013) with the 8 speed trans have sensors that detect the oil viscosity and will throw a code on it if you run something different

Also...5.7 engine in the heavy duty is diffrent then the 5.7 in the trucks. Same goes for the cars. That's why the Hp and torque numbers are different

Keep in mind 03 -08 5.7 hemi is diffrent from the current ones since 2009.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The motors are the same. Cams and tunes differ for torque vs hp in moving the mass of the vehicle.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I had a Jeep commander with the 5.7 and I tried switching to 5w-30 which resulted in a check engine light for incorrect oil viscosity followed by lifter failure once the MDS tried to activate with the wrong oil weight. The repair bill on that was substantial.
That's funny. I have a 2021 Ram 5.7l and a 2012 Chrysler 300 6.4l. They both have MDS (or did until I changed cam and lifters). They both call for different oil. The 6.4l says 0w40. Yes, 40. Guess what? Same lifters with the same Mopar part number. Why does the 6.4l same lifter not fail? Because the oil weight makes no difference.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's funny. I have a 2021 Ram 5.7l and a 2012 Chrysler 300 6.4l. They both have MDS (or did until I changed cam and lifters). They both call for different oil. The 6.4l says 0w40. Yes, 40. Guess what? Same lifters with the same Mopar part number. Why does the 6.4l same lifter not fail? Because the oil weight makes no difference.
The 6.4 lifters do fail.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The 6.4 lifters do fail.
Never said they didn't. Anything can fail.

The statement was that they failed specifically because the perfect weight oil was not used. I am pointing out that the exact same lifters have been used for many years with many changes in oil weight. Obviously the lifters don't care if you use 20w or 40w. People point at thier owners manual like Moses had God etch them in stone yet they use different oils.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never said they didn't. Anything can fail.

The statement was that they failed specifically because the perfect weight oil was not used. I am pointing out that the exact same lifters have been used for many years with many changes in oil weight. Obviously the lifters don't care if you use 20w or 40w. People point at thier owners manual like Moses had God etch them in stone yet they use different oils.
I see what you are saying. You asked why they don't/not fail, I took it as you defending a specific oil weight as being superior.

Users who are viewing this thread