5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 5.7 (no etorque) -- 0w-20 vs 5w-30

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am surprised to hear that an engine gets hotter in one region than another. I notice that my truck seems to run the same temperature when it is in the 20s in the winter and the upper 90s in the summer. Strange anyone's is different.

The burning mixture of fuel and air seems to be way hotter than any mere weather related temperature difference. The engine coolant system handles that.
I'd be more concerned with cold start as far as ambient air temps go. Cold starting in winter is harder on an engine than cold starting in the summer, so you want your oil to flow well as soon as possible. I'd probably go with a 0w oil if I lived where temps regularly get below zero degrees fahrenheit. Since it rarely gets below zero here I stick with 5w. This is less critical with synthetic oils, but still does make a small bit of difference.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
19' limited hemi 5.7 owner here....Dont be startled but I run the same 5w40 euro spec that my AMG uses + a bottle of ceratec (moly additive). MDS works better due to higher pressure (variable oil pump will always ensure proper flow). I have no idea why american vehicle forums are all about lower weight oils, if you've ever spoken to a performance euro mechanic, they will always recommend a higher weight within reason. For example all the educated BMW M guys are running minimum 5w40/50 (factory 5/0w30 reccomendation).

You make a lot of absolute claims that you cannot prove. You're killing me with this stuff. 🤣

Ramguymario

Reaction score
You make a lot of absolute claims that you cannot prove. You're killing me with this stuff. 🤣

I agree we shouldnt make claims based on conjecture. Reference my post above, the 5.7 hemi crankshaft main bearing clearances barely suit 5w20. it is the lowest weight oil that is still acceptable. Couple the fact that the latest gen hemi uses a more powerful oil pump, same mds system as the 6.4, there is literally nothing wrong about using a higher weight oil if one should choose to...Yes I geek out about oil too much

RedFred

Reaction score
In my 2015 Ram 1500 hemi, I have been using Redline 5w-30 for the last 85K miles. Currently the truck has 175k miles on it. No issues what so ever switching to 5w-30. MDS still functions normally. To the OP, I would have no issues or concerns switching to 5w-30 other than concerns of voiding your warranty. And when I finally get my 5th gen truck I will be running 5w-30 soon after purchase.

RcCola

Reaction score
My issue is this 23 ram 1500 limited 5.7 Hemi calls for 0w20 in manual and on oil cap…. I took the service advisors word that they use 5w20, along with all web searches for 23 Hemi oil…. I bought and changed oil with 5w20 (pennzoil platinum) until i noticed the cap……. I’m thinking I need to change it asap to 0w20 because of mds and other valve requirements? Or am I reading into it too much,m…..They change to 0W20 as of 22 models…. Did something change in the engine?

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you serious? Did you read anything about 5w vs 0? You're fine with 5w20. Change it back next time if you're that concerned. I run PUP 5W30 with Lubegard. I haven't been arrested yet but I think I see flashlights outside my window. Hold on. "Honey! Flush the 5W30. They're coming in." OK we're good.

23RAM

Reaction score
Wow. Lots of misinformation in this and many other oil threads.

First off, 0w-20 and 5w-20 are not the same at cold or hot temps. There's no such thing as "multi-grade" oil, it's just a marketing term for dummies. There's only one grade, plus there's viscosity enhancers that mimic higher viscosity ratings. So 0w-20 is 0-weight oil with VI's to "thicken" the oil when it reaches about 200'F to mimic 20-weight. 5w-20 is 5-weight oil with VI's to thicken it to 20-weight. The pattern continues with 10w-30, 5w-40, 20w-50, etc.

The concept of lower Xw-XX is two fold - to make sub-zero starts easier and to make engines more fuel efficient with lighter weight oils.

Do not be fooled...0w-20 is not 20-weight oil, it's 0-weight oil with "enhancers".

Having said that, today's enhanced oil is actually quite remarkable and I have no issues running the proper rated oil with high quality oil suppliers. Remember, all of this is trickle-down tech from racing engines like Formula 1. So relax, buy high quality oil that meets or exceeds your vehicle specs, and then go get a beer.
🍺🍺🍺

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
When did truck engines become so delicate? I had an old 318ci that would run if slick creek mud was run for oil, just had to change it more. Now we worry about 0w vs 5w? Wow. I make sure the oil is honey colored and slippery, it works.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2012 owners manual:
"NOTE: Vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine must use
SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper
operation of the Multi-Displacement System (MDS)."

2014 owners manual:
"NOTE: MOPAR® SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to
Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 may be used when
SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available"

2016 owners manual:
"MOPAR SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or
equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures."

2022 owners manual:
"We recommend using Mopar® SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-6395. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-20 engine oil can be used but must have the API Starburst trademark

NOTE: Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer."

So with the EXACT SAME engine with MDS, we went from "you MUST use 20 weight oil" to "it's OK to use 30 weight" to "we recommend even thinner 0W20 weight" and then finally they admitted that the watery 20 weight oils cause ticking because the viscosity is too thin and the lifters bleed down too fast, plus there is improper lubrication.

So as mentioned in the video above ^^^ you guys can run whatever you want to in your expensive engine. But my engine will NEVER see 0W20 water oil.

I guess I should add that I will never buy 0W20 OR 5W20. Screw that. I'll take the 0.003 MPG penalty to have a quiet valvetrain that holds up longer.

silver billet

Reaction score
I had a Jeep commander with the 5.7 and I tried switching to 5w-30 which resulted in a check engine light for incorrect oil viscosity followed by lifter failure once the MDS tried to activate with the wrong oil weight. The repair bill on that was substantial.

Well I'm here to inform you that in no way does running 5w-30 interfere with the 5.7 MDS. There are many thousands and thousands of engines running that, and I've run 0w-40 for a summer with absolutely 0 issues with MDS (when I forgot to turn it off of course).

If you got lifter failure, it had nothing to do with 5w-30. The two events might have happened at a similar time, but the one did not cause the other.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I'm here to inform you that in no way does running 5w-30 interfere with the 5.7 MDS. There are many thousands and thousands of engines running that, and I've run 0w-40 for a summer with absolutely 0 issues with MDS (when I forgot to turn it off of course).

If you got lifter failure, it had nothing to do with 5w-30. The two events might have happened at a similar time, but the one did not cause the other.
I agree to disagree. It might be the same 5.7 motor but I'm SURE the electronics and sensors are different then what it was in the past. The newer 5.7 engine (starting roughly around 2013) with the 8 speed trans have sensors that detect the oil viscosity and will throw a code on it if you run something different

Also...5.7 engine in the heavy duty is diffrent then the 5.7 in the trucks. Same goes for the cars. That's why the Hp and torque numbers are different

Keep in mind 03 -08 5.7 hemi is diffrent from the current ones since 2009.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

RAL

Reaction score
Oil threads always end the same.

Use what the manufacturer recommends. Don’t overthink it. If the manufacturer is too incompetent to identify the correct motor oil, then you will need to find a new brand of vehicle anyways. Our Ram lists 5w20. That is what we use. Keep it clean, keep it full otherwise And you are good to go.

The only time, btw, these oil discussion may add humor value is when you are in a classic car community and some pinhead thinks it is a good idea to run 0w20 in a car that was, for example, spec’d for 15w40 because he thinks he knows more about cold start lubrication (but little about main bearing clearance) than the engineers who recommended the 15w40. And then another pinhead will comment in support that viscosity doesn’t matter with synthetic oil . . . . At that point, your best recourse is to walk away and let them go through the painful process of experiential learning.

Have a good day fellas.

silver billet

Reaction score
I agree to disagree. It might be the same 5.7 motor but I'm SURE the electronics and sensors are different then what it was in the past. The newer 5.7 engine (starting roughly around 2013) with the 8 speed trans have sensors that detect the oil viscosity and will throw a code on it if you run something different

Also...5.7 engine in the heavy duty is diffrent then the 5.7 in the trucks. Same goes for the cars. That's why the Hp and torque numbers are different

Yes the 2009 got the eagle heads and VVT, but they're the same engine except the 2500 5.7 didn't get MDS. Other than that, identical. Differences are software/tuning only.

The codes might be thrown, but in terms of causing physical damage it's not possible.

Npenson

Reaction score
I have had 5 13+ hemi vehicles and never had a light trigged from running 0-30 or 5-30 so yeah. Run what you feel comfortable running as long as you know they "possibly" won't cover warranty work.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes the 2009 got the eagle heads and VVT, but they're the same engine except the 2500 5.7 didn't get MDS. Other than that, identical. Differences are software/tuning only.

The codes might be thrown, but in terms of causing physical damage it's not possible.

In addition to the tuning, the intake and cam profiles can change the HP/TQ curves.
The sensors could all be identical, but each setup will give different results on a dyno. Add in torque converters and gearing and you get even stranger results.

Users who are viewing this thread