5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 5.7 fuel economy 10 mpg city ???

Datsun

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2022 1500 with the 5.7L Have about 250miles on it and I,m only getting 10mpg mostly city driving.
This can’t be normal anyone else getting horrible fuel mileage…???

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It depends primarily on your tires and axle ratio, along with your right foot.

However, 10 mpg around just city is pretty normal for a big truck. I'm assuming 3.92 rear axle? Is it a Rebel with 33" tires or a sport with 32" tires? Even more so.

My Rebel if doing just city will get 10-11 mpg, pure highway I can do over 20 mpg if I can stay at 70 mph at steady throttle. Mixed, around 13.5 mpg. If I had 18" street tires and a 3.21 rear axle, I could probably come close to the EPA MPG rating on the sticker.

Datsun

Reaction score
It depends primarily on your tires and axle ratio, along with your right foot.

However, 10 mpg around just city is pretty normal for a big truck. I'm assuming 3.92 rear axle? Is it a Rebel with 33" tires or a sport with 32" tires? Even more so.

My Rebel if doing just city will get 10-11 mpg, pure highway I can do over 20 mpg if I can stay at 70 mph at steady throttle. Mixed, around 13.5 mpg. If I had 18" street tires and a 3.21 rear axle, I could probably come close to the EPA MPG rating on the sticker.
Sport with 32” and 3.21 rear axle

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sport with 32” and 3.21 rear axle

Well you got one of them, which is the bigger wheels. Though the Hemi is known to get better mpg as it breaks it fully, the official recommendation in the manual is about 300 miles for initial break-in, but it honestly can take a few thousand miles for a full break-in. It's known to be a pretty tight motor.

Are you using 89 octane?

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Well you got one of them, which is the bigger wheels. Though the Hemi is known to get better mpg as it breaks it fully, the official recommendation in the manual is about 300 miles for initial break-in, but it honestly can take a few thousand miles for a full break-in. It's known to be a pretty tight motor.

Are you using 89 octane?
Bigger wheels? He has 32" tires. Wheels have nothing to do with mileage. I'm glad he has 3.21 gearing as it shows gear ratio has little effect on city driving mpg's.

That low of mileage is not normal unless you are in very heavy traffic with a lot of time at traffic lights. You may need to wait until your engine breaks in to see if your mileage improves. Is your mileage hand calculated or from the computer?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Bigger wheels? He has 32" tires. Wheels have nothing to do with mileage. I'm glad he has 3.21 gearing as it shows gear ratio has little effect on city driving mpg's.

That low of mileage is not normal unless you are in very heavy traffic with a lot of time at traffic lights. You may need to wait until your engine breaks in to see if your mileage improves. Is your mileage hand calculated or from the computer?

That was a typo. I meant tires as stated by my earlier post where I ask if he had either the 33" tires or 32" tires (Rebel or 22" Wheels) setups, which definitely have an impact, especially compared to the normal setups.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have the same and averages 15 running around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also depends on the town. Are we talking New York style gridlock, busy street to street blasting or small town with less congested driving or something in the middle?

Then there are the hills. Can you cruise with easy throttle, or do you need to constantly be gassing it just to move around, which is my issue in my town. Lots of elevation changes, no chance to really just lay off the throttle.

I spent some time recently in a relatively flat town/city, not very busy. I was able to get 17 mpg driving around, which is incredible. Back where I live, it's about 11-13 mpg.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
The motor is also still breaking in. It'll get a bit better once you pass the 1000+ mile marker. These trucks aren't great for fuel... but you are driving a truck. You didn't buy it for economy. LOL.

Datsun

Reaction score

Are you using 89 octane?
Yes I’m using 89 octane. What kind of increase in fuel economy should I expect after the engine is full Brocken in?

Datsun

Reaction score

From the computer

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Yes I’m using 89 octane. What kind of increase in fuel economy should I expect after the engine is full Brocken in?

There's no way to answer that question because there are too many variables. Your engine, gearing, driving style, types of roads, etc all figure into it. There are people on this board reporting 21+ MPG with the 5.7 and others with very similar setups reporting low teens.

All you can do is wait and see. I think it's a fair guess to say you can expect 15 MPG around town if you're not stomping on the gas, and if you get anything better than that just enjoy the fact that you're luckier than most.

I've got just over 5,000 on mine, and even when I drive like a grandma, which to me is keeping the RPM below 2,000 every time I leave a stop light, mine still wants to gravitate to 15.5 all the time.

One person here in an earlier thread has a truck similar to mine and posted a picture of his dashboard display showing that he averaged 21 MPG at an average speed of 66 MPH. I can only get 21 MPG in my truck at 45 MPH...again...driving like I'm TRYING to maximize fuel efficiency. Will mine get better over time? Who knows, but I guess it gives me a game to play while I'm driving. :)

Enjoy the truck, and ignore the fuel efficiency for a while.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It’ll for sure get better after the engine breaks in. Personally I wouldn’t be worried until 5000 miles. If it’s still like that after 5000 somethings not right. But for now just enjoy it and know it should get better :)

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As others have stated, wait for her to break in. Mine wasn't much better than that, around 11-12 or so if memory serves, until she had a few thousand miles. It started incrementally getting better around 2k-3k miles. Now she has just over 9k, and gets 13-15 in town, depending on the day/wind/weather.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're doing a lot of stop and go driving and idling at traffic lights which will wreak havoc on mileage. In town driving for me I get 14/15 mpg but I only have a 6 mile drive to work. If I get stuck in traffic idling long enough I can notice the mpg on the screen drop pretty quickly. I have about 3k miles on it so far so I'm sure its "broke in". I also dont beat on it and I drive it normally. I didnt buy the truck for fuel efficiency though as it's a 7k lb 400hp 4x4 land yacht

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
Just picked up my 2022 1500 with the 5.7L Have about 250miles on it and I,m only getting 10mpg mostly city driving.
This can’t be normal anyone else getting horrible fuel mileage…???
You have 250 miles on your brand new truck which is maybe a tank of gas run through it and your worried about the fuel mileage? Sit back and enjoy your new truck till everything is broke in and you have some miles on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread