5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 1500 Big Horn stall issues

Jennwebster33

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have seen threads on 2021 and older Rams having stalling issues where the engine shuts off and parking brake goes on. I saw there was some sort of update that may have worked. I have a brand new 110 mile 4 day old 2022 Ram etorque v6 that just did this tonight while making a turn. Anyone have a 2022 have this happen and gotten it fixed. I sent a complaint to the national safety whatever and bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow. Just wondering I am going to die in a car accident with a brand new truck. This is my 3rd Ram and only had minor issues before.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have seen threads on 2021 and older Rams having stalling issues where the engine shuts off and parking brake goes on. I saw there was some sort of update that may have worked. I have a brand new 110 mile 4 day old 2022 Ram etorque v6 that just did this tonight while making a turn. Anyone have a 2022 have this happen and gotten it fixed. I sent a complaint to the national safety whatever and bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow. Just wondering I am going to die in a car accident with a brand new truck. This is my 3rd Ram and only had minor issues before.
here are some threads on the V-8 version

Jennwebster33

Reaction score
here are some threads on the V-8 version

Hi thanks! Yes, I read those threads but did not see anyone with a 2022. I did see where people mentioned updating the PCM but again it was for the 2021 and older. I did show it to the dealership this morning but alas I am a girl with a truck and he seemed to just ignore it. He did give me a loaner of the exact same truck as mine and I can already tell a difference. Mine is not as smooth as the loaner. Definitely jerkier. I guess I wait to see what they say and go from there.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hi thanks! Yes, I read those threads but did not see anyone with a 2022. I did see where people mentioned updating the PCM but again it was for the 2021 and older. I did show it to the dealership this morning but alas I am a girl with a truck and he seemed to just ignore it. He did give me a loaner of the exact same truck as mine and I can already tell a difference. Mine is not as smooth as the loaner. Definitely jerkier. I guess I wait to see what they say and go from there.
might want to get ramcares involved
just put this @ in front of ramcares

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It sucks that that crap happens.

Feel better that it is not just women but anyone who is not a dealer rep. They try to make you feel inferior, like somehow you don't know what a vehicle is supposed to drive like because you are an ordinary person in the real world. I'm like, yes kid, I was driving when your mommy was just another stain on the sheets. Trust me, it shouldn't do this.

Stick with it and perhaps try another dealer. When I had a Nissan the service manager on the floor was a young woman. Knew her stuff. I would deal with her and bypass the schmuck in the office.

Herman_Merman

Reaction score
I bought a new 2022 Laramie 1500 Hemi eTorque a couple weeks ago. The low speed stall happened to me yesterday morning (truck has about 600 miles on it). Waiting on a response from the dealer.

Jennwebster33

Reaction score
It sucks that that crap happens.

Feel better that it is not just women but anyone who is not a dealer rep. They try to make you feel inferior, like somehow you don't know what a vehicle is supposed to drive like because you are an ordinary person in the real world. I'm like, yes kid, I was driving when your mommy was just another stain on the sheets. Trust me, it shouldn't do this.

Stick with it and perhaps try another dealer. When I had a Nissan the service manager on the floor was a young woman. Knew her stuff. I would deal with her and bypass the schmuck in the office.
Thanks Mountain, yes, I have the most amazing mechanics who I bring my trucks to 99% of the time even if something is covered under warranty because a. they are honest b. they do not treat me like an idiot and explain everything to me so I learn about it and c. just because I despise working with dealerships.

Unfortunately verbatim of what I expected them to tell me is what others have said: couldn't replicate the problem, no codes showing, cannot apply the pcm because it is not eligible.

So now I am back to driving a truck where I feel like I am going to crash every time I am on a curve or making a turn

@RamCares

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately verbatim of what I expected them to tell me is what others have said: couldn't replicate the problem, no codes showing, cannot apply the pcm because it is not eligible.
Part of any repair process is to verify a concern. How would you expect them to fix something that isn't showing up currently? There are plenty of things they can do, don't get me wrong. Starting with installing a flight recorder, issue with that is dealers are hesitant to install and let customer take the tool with them. It is becoming more and more common for the customer to never return with the tool.

IF* there are any updates available they should do it, esp of its PCM, TCM, or HCP. All are related to to the most likely areas of a stall conditions.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New PCM and TCM updates for stalling concerns for 2022 DT 5.7 ET released 1/26/2023.

Attachments

• RSU.pdf
    65.2 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
I traded in my 2022 Ram for what I thought at the time was a good deal on a used 2023 Ram with 300 miles that had a lot more options, both were V6 etorques. Now I wished I hadn’t. On our family 1st road trip with about 2000 miles most of it the truck stalled while making a turn at slow speeds. My family almost got hit by an oncoming truck. Luckily, the other driver was paying attention and was able to stop in time and I started the turn with plenty of distance. Took it to the dealership when we got back home first thing. Dealership said it would take up to 7 days and didn’t offer a loaner and since it’s technically a used car I’m having issues with RAM care providing any coverage. I have logged a complaint with the NHTSA. I suggest all v6 owners with this issue also log a complaint. This is a serious safety issue and the more complaints the more likely RAM is going to fix the issue. Right now it appears they are only addressing the issue with the V8 engines.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Many of us had brought up this same issue in other posts on this forum.

My 2020 Limited had this issue in January with no resolution from the dealer. They did find a rear window leak and eventually replaced the rear window and "blew out" all the water on the RF Hub and eTorque battery.

I figured it was caused by the water intrusion in the RF HUB, but it sounds like people are seeing this in very low mileage vehicles where the rear window has not leaked yet - it will eventually:(

I am always careful when I make turns into oncoming traffic to avoid being hit if the problem comes up again.

It is completely shocking that this is still going on and RAM has not even updated the Software to trigger an error code - even if they do not know the cause.

There must be hundreds (or thousands) of people that have experienced the same problem................

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. I dont own an etorque, but I could only imagine how real the concern is when you're stalled in an intersection with some knucklehead coming at you at 50 mph looking down at a text and bam!. Then it's real. Goodluck!

GeorgeA

Reaction score
In my case it was a fire truck, but I was able to get the engine re-started and move out of the way.

I keep checking the forum postings to see if anyone has had any luck finding the true source of the problem or if Ram has updated the software to provide an error code and source of the problem.

the "Mechanics" at the dealership only work with error codes - The skillset is very low in my experience......

-George

6of36

Reaction score
In my case it was a fire truck, but I was able to get the engine re-started and move out of the way.

I keep checking the forum postings to see if anyone has had any luck finding the true source of the problem or if Ram has updated the software to provide an error code and source of the problem.

the "Mechanics" at the dealership only work with error codes - The skillset is very low in my experience......

-George
Everything is computer controlled. That's all they can do for some issues.

Reaction score
I traded in my 2022 Ram for what I thought at the time was a good deal on a used 2023 Ram with 300 miles that had a lot more options, both were V6 etorques. Now I wished I hadn’t. On our family 1st road trip with about 2000 miles most of it the truck stalled while making a turn at slow speeds. My family almost got hit by an oncoming truck. Luckily, the other driver was paying attention and was able to stop in time and I started the turn with plenty of distance. Took it to the dealership when we got back home first thing. Dealership said it would take up to 7 days and didn’t offer a loaner and since it’s technically a used car I’m having issues with RAM care providing any coverage. I have logged a complaint with the NHTSA. I suggest all v6 owners with this issue also log a complaint. This is a serious safety issue and the more complaints the more likely RAM is going to fix the issue. Right now it appears they are only addressing the issue with the V8 engines.
My 2023 RAM V6 Etorque is still at the dealership for the stalling issue. Dealership says that it has error codes and they are working with STARs team at RAM to try to identify the issue. Hopefully, they can find the problem. RAM care after 5 days without a car finally approved rental, but I have to pay out pocket and request reimbursement afterwards. Hopefully, they reimburse me. It took hours of calling over several days for them to finally offer a rental reimbursement.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the dealership wasn't able find the cause of the problem or have it repeat during the two 10 and 30 mile trial runs. They cleared the codes, but didn't find the source of the problem. In the notes it states that the vehicle had 4 prior service incidents with the same concerns. Sounds like I was sold a used lemon with 300 miles. What do I do now. I've called the RAM dealership that sold me the used RAM. I put about 2500 highway miles and about 100 city miles in a month on a long family road vacation. I've lost all confidence in RAM for not fixing the problem. This is a dangerous problem that they seem to be ignoring in the V6 Etorques, they finally fixed it after a few years for the V8.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
I assume the 4 prior incidents were from the prior owner. I am guessing they got rid of the vehicle because of this issue, like others on this forum have done.

for Clarity: This issue is not fixed in the V8. I am not sure that the problem has anything to do with the engine.

The generally thinking on this forum is that it has something to do with the RF HUB.

I guess we keep waiting for a resolution.................................

6of36

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the dealership wasn't able find the cause of the problem or have it repeat during the two 10 and 30 mile trial runs. They cleared the codes, but didn't find the source of the problem. In the notes it states that the vehicle had 4 prior service incidents with the same concerns. Sounds like I was sold a used lemon with 300 miles. What do I do now. I've called the RAM dealership that sold me the used RAM. I put about 2500 highway miles and about 100 city miles in a month on a long family road vacation. I've lost all confidence in RAM for not fixing the problem. This is a dangerous problem that they seem to be ignoring in the V6 Etorques, they finally fixed it after a few years for the V8.
Any time someone gets rid of a vehicle with 300 miles, I would run.

Users who are viewing this thread