5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 w/ RamBox, MFT, and Tonneau cover

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I am ordering a 2021 with the RamBox, and MFT. I will want a tonneau cover, debating between factorycover or aftermarket. It seems the aftermarket covers need brackets added, I prefer not to do that. My '09 1500 has RamBox and Bakflip cover that sits on the factory silver rails. I remember hearing about 2021 models having siler or black rails, not sure which comes with what. I also think I heard the black and the silver rails are mounted at different heights in the bed. Which rail would be go with a cover as is and how do I get it on my factory order?
Thanks,
Jim

Derlant1983

Reaction score
I am ordering a 2021 with the RamBox, and MFT. I will want a tonneau cover, debating between factorycover or aftermarket. It seems the aftermarket covers need brackets added, I prefer not to do that. My '09 1500 has RamBox and Bakflip cover that sits on the factory silver rails. I remember hearing about 2021 models having siler or black rails, not sure which comes with what. I also think I heard the black and the silver rails are mounted at different heights in the bed. Which rail would be go with a cover as is and how do I get it on my factory order?
Thanks,

The brackets are on non ram box beds with the mft. I don’t believe there is any bracket with the ram box.

RickWaz

Reaction score
If you have the silver (aluminum) rails, you would not need anything additional for installing the Retrax 60244 or Retrax 80244. Not sure about other brands.

Venom700

Reaction score
I am selling the factory tri fold/black rails for the RamBoxes. Shoulda asked my dealer to swap the silver rails for me. I believe only the factory cover works with the black rails.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie didn't come with the BUG, but came with the silver rails. My wife's 2020 Limited came with the BUG, and came with the black rails. You'll probably need the silver rails if you don't want to use the factory bed cover. My dealership was clueless about the rambox, let alone which rails work with which bed cover. But they agreed to swap the black rails on our Limited with silver rails they ordered. Check with your dealership when you're negotiating the deal.

I am ordering a 2021 with the RamBox, and MFT. I will want a tonneau cover, debating between factorycover or aftermarket. It seems the aftermarket covers need brackets added, I prefer not to do that.
If you have the rambox option there is no difference in the beds between having the MFT or regular tailgate. In other words the MFT doesn't limit your tonneau cover choices if you have the rambox. Only the non-rambox beds require brackets if you get the MFT.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
Is there any way to know if your are getting black rails or silver rails when placing a factory order?

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
I have RamBox with BUG and Multi Tailgate. The Truxedo Pro X15 fits perfect with absolutely no modification. It is really low profile and keeps clean (way more than any other cover I have had)

Lrpilot

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie didn't come with the BUG, but came with the silver rails. My wife's 2020 Limited came with the BUG, and came with the black rails. You'll probably need the silver rails if you don't want to use the factory bed cover. My dealership was clueless about the rambox, let alone which rails work with which bed cover. But they agreed to swap the black rails on our Limited with silver rails they ordered. Check with your dealership when you're negotiating the deal.

If you have the rambox option there is no difference in the beds between having the MFT or regular tailgate. In other words the MFT doesn't limit your tonneau cover choices if you have the rambox. Only the non-rambox beds require brackets if you get the MFT.
Did your dealer swap the black rails for the silver for no charge?

Lrpilot

Reaction score
I thought the black rails only come if you order the MOPAR tonneau cover? Someone mentioned getting black rails because they ordered the Bed Utility Group. Is it a coin toss as to whether a factory order comes with silver vs black rails??

Last edited:

broken_vet

Reaction score
I thought the black rails on come off you order the MOPAR tonneau cover? Someone mentioned getting black rails because they ordered the Bed Utility Group. Is it a coin toss as to whether a factory order comes with silver vs black rails??
As long as you do not order the factory tonneau, it will have silver rails.

STLTGR

Reaction score
Does anyone have the silver rail part numbers? I have the black rails and need to swap to silver.

Lrpilot

Reaction score
Does anyone have the silver rail part numbers? I have the black rails and need to swap to silver.
They were posted someone in this forum but I don’t recall which thread. Did you try a search by chance? Just curious...did your truck have the factory cover which caused you to get the black rails?

Venom700

Reaction score
Best price I found for silver rails was with free shipping from allmoparparts.com, lookup item DTRAILKIT.

Walker7088

Reaction score
If you have changed from the 21 black rails to the silver rails, did the silver have the same bolt pattern?

apineta

Reaction score
I have RamBox with BUG and Multi Tailgate. The Truxedo Pro X15 fits perfect with absolutely no modification. It is really low profile and keeps clean (way more than any other cover I have had)
You have silver rails? If you get the Night Edition you are stuck with the factory cover and black rails. No aftermarket will work unless you swap out for the silver (stainless) rails.

Users who are viewing this thread