5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rebel Air Suspension option - yay or nay

blackgtprix

Reaction score
Been looking at getting a 2021 Rebel Night, and I'm interested in opinions on the air suspension.
It's not something I have considered before, but should I avoid a truck with it?
I'm leasing so not concerned with the long term issues.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
What will you use the truck for?

The coil spring setups in these trucks are great in my opinion compared to ford and chevy, but the air suspension feels even more planted than the already improved ram coil setup. The small bumps at low speed are still felt but the above 15/20+ mph driving to me is the most improved. Ram air suspension definetly is refined in regards to dampening capability.

Mother

Reaction score
Where do you live? People in colder climates seem to have more issues with the air suspension.

blackgtprix

Reaction score
What will you use the truck for?

The coil spring setups in these trucks are great in my opinion compared to ford and chevy, but the air suspension feels even more planted than the already improved ram coil setup. The small bumps at low speed are still felt but the above 15/20+ mph driving to me is the most improved. Ram air suspension definetly is refined in regards to dampening capability.

Mostly city driving. I will take it off road once per year when hunting.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's a tough call, the ride on air is pretty nice but lots of potential failure points. Not much can go wrong with coils and the ride is still amazing for a 1/2 ton. Murphy's law scared me away from air suspension

SDRebel2021

Reaction score
Been looking at getting a 2021 Rebel Night, and I'm interested in opinions on the air suspension.
It's not something I have considered before, but should I avoid a truck with it?
I'm leasing so not concerned with the long term issues.
I love the Air suspension. The ride quality is amazing for a 1/2 ton. But then again, I'm in Southern California and also purchased the extended warranty.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
These vehicles are so mass produced and are all over regarding climate that many see well below zero degree F temps.
Of those trucks, I am sure you are going to hear more about people with complaints than those who have not had issues.

People prefer to go out of their way to make complaints as that will get feedback or be a way for change to come. Just like kids learn screaming and yelling gets attention.

If you feel you cannot own it and put the worry away, then get coil springs and save margin of money.

I got it, but also got a 100k bumper to bumper. I have no worries about it now on factory warranty nor when im on extended warranty. Pregnant wife loves it, and it helps in a few parking garages. Also rides way smoother in my opinion. Far less bounce and recoil.

th3duke

Reaction score
I love the Air suspension. The ride quality is amazing for a 1/2 ton. But then again, I'm in Southern California and also purchased the extended warranty.
I love my Air suspension - this is my second Ram with it and couldn't go without it. The reason I chose the Air ride is for the following reasons: loading and unloading "anything" into or out of the box is a breeze, attach and detach my 21ft deck boat make's it very easy and the ride is superior (auto leveling), Hunting, going off road (not just dirt roads kind of stuff) in the mountains of Quebec makes the air suspension an asset with the on the fly extra height. City Driving: I don't need to have a lifted truck when city driving; Highway driving: drops down automatically for fuel economy on the highway. We have crazy cold and humid weather here in Quebec and never had an issue with the Air Ride, some people have complained with the previous generations but I never had any issues with it. As I get older, I just love the versatility of the Air Ride I can't go back.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I think air suspension is a cool offering from Ram though I personally have avoided it. Not too big a deal if you have issues while under warranty, however, costly to repair if you're out of warranty. Some have no issues and some do. It's a gamble I personally would rather not take.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
The air suspension is really cool for all the reasons mentioned - rides great, change ride height, hooking to trailer, etc. This is now the second gen of the system and it seems to be more reliable than the first. That said - I have coil springs. I wanted to keep my truck simple. I will say that I have had my truck on some very rough off-road scenarios and it performed great. Especially the time I took it on a very rutted beach - very rough. I was pleased and surprised how well the coil suspension performed.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yay. The ride quality is phenomenal.
And an added bonus, with a roof top tent on the rack, I can lower it down to entry exit and minimize lot of bouncing and sway while camping.

Last edited:

lasani1121

Reaction score
I will not purchase this truck without it! I have three kids and this is our main long haul ride for trips. Next to no body roll, leaning etc. kids never get sick. Not a bouncy ride at all!

Rexx

Reaction score
I know people are wary of the air suspension and there’s probably some truth to it but I had it on my ‘16 longhorn and now have it on my ‘20 limited and have so far had zero issues with it. I live in Alberta and it can get pretty damn cold in the winter. The ride quality is like being in a luxury sedan. If you’re leasing and only keeping the truck for a few years I’d definitely recommend getting it.

mesides

Reaction score
I agree the ride quality is great and feels like a luxury sedan. The wife no longer gets sick on long drives. I pull a 33' travel trailer w/ 6800 lbs and had 3k miles this summer with trips and you can hardly tell its back there. The auto leveling is great and being able to lower it to load things (like my kayaks and bikes) in the bed is nice. This is my first truck with air suspension and I dont think I would buy another one without it. I have to park in a parking garage for work and cant get a lift but nice to have a little extra height with this and lower it when I pull in.

SharkLazer

Reaction score
I chose not to go for it because from what I can tell if it does fail (I live in a very cold area, high of 2F last weekend) then you literally can't drive your truck. Even if the risk might be small, I can't afford risking that my truck stops working in the winter when I need it most.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Anyone have any articles or content for destructive testing? Would love to see a rally cross air ride unit...

Users who are viewing this thread