5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram Bighorn 5.7 Bolt On Aftermarket Muffler

Kenny4

Reaction score
I'm looking on YouTube and found a Carven Progressive and Competitor Series for about $300. That is just a muffler exchange. Have any of you tried these and if so what is the drone effect. Also any other suggestions for muffler only replacement. Thanks

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This video is of the B2 Fabrication Bolt Muffler (DR-06 Moderate).

(I should note that I left all 3 stock resonators in place to avoid drone in MDS mode.)

I have also added the Mopar 5" Black Exhaust Tips Mopar (82216079AA) & Mopar RAM AirFlow Intake Kit (77072428AB)

Kenny4

Reaction score
Well, I stand corrected by myself. Just looked underneath the truck and it appears way different than the ones I saw in the vids. This is 2021 and the front of the muffler, ( inlet ), seems to be about 2' of maybe 3" pipe welded to the muffler and welded to a flange which connects to the flange on the end of the pipe coming from the cat. So all that has to be removed. Worse yet the outlet is one pipe and on the passenger side is all welded pieces all the way to the tip. So the inlet pipe welded to the muffler and the outlet pipe all the way to the tip would have to be removed. So for 2021 it seems like there will be no easy muffler swap. If any of you have 2021, could you take a look and verify if it's the same as I described. If so all the aftermarket shops will have to mock up a whole new set up just for the 2021. So basically you have to cut the OEM muffler at the outlet or purchase a whole cat back system. Thanks

Last edited:

Kenny4

Reaction score
Are the 2020's all welded with no clamp on the passenger side from muffler back. Thanks

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is what my muffler looked like: Bolted at the front, and I cut it at the back. 2020, 5.7L, bought mine at the MBRP site, with online discount it was about $250 shipped. I would think the 2021 would be the same.

Attachments

• IMG_2416.JPG
    IMG_2416.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 98

Tyee

Reaction score
on my 21 the muffler shop replaced the stock with a flowmaster super 40, great sound just over $200 installed. the installation took less then an hour and they did cut out the stock muffler.

Last edited:

Cmndrcrunch

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the offset on the pipes of the stock muffler is? I want to change it myself with a flowmaster, and I'd rather have the replacement muffler with me before I cut out the stock one. Thanks in advance.

Kenny4

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the posts and your patience with my ignorance. I just came to realize that the 19, 20 and 21's, ( basically 5th Gen exhaust systems ), all have to have the mufflers cut out. I had been watching vids where the muffler had 2 exits and 2 clamps. I don't want the bottom one, ( muffler delete ) and can't make a decision between the top two. Apparently the bottom is loudest and top quietest and the middle is in between. Sorry about the 3 pics, can't figure how to remove 2 of them. 1607227446696.png 1607227446696.png between.

1607227446696.png

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with the the top one, (oval muffler - moderate sound) and have been very pleased.

Not to loud but will wake up when you get into it. :cool: :cool:(y)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anyone know exactly what the pipe diameter is on both the inlet and outlet side? Not looking for a guess but the true measurement. Thanks!

Kenny4

Reaction score
I went with the the top one, (oval muffler - moderate sound) and have been very pleased.

Not to loud but will wake up when you get into it. :cool: :cool:(y)
I think I agree with you. It seems the delete and the middle one are too sharp and cracking of a sound from the vids I've been watching on YT, sort of like the one in this link by Solo Performance. Just fast forward to the end to hear it.

Solo Performance Muffler

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I read some reviews and they weren't that great. This is what many forum members have purchased. I had one on my 2019 and just bought another one for my 2021. It's also significantly cheaper than the Magnaflow by about $80 with the discount code. Get the OVAL one ;) The round long one I was told sounds like a cherry bomb muffler on a Honda Civic. Use B2SAVE10 to save 10%

Kenny4

Reaction score
I read some reviews and they weren't that great. This is what many forum members have purchased. I had one on my 2019 and just bought another one for my 2021. It's also significantly cheaper than the Magnaflow by about $80 with the discount code. Get the OVAL one ;) The round long one I was told sounds like a cherry bomb muffler on a Honda Civic. Use B2SAVE10 to save 10%

Did you install yours by yourself. If so where did you cut the pipe. Some say 1" some 1 1/4" from the weld on the muffler. If you haven't done it yet, can you take some pics or video. I just ordered the oval one and Thanks for the discount code.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, I stand corrected by myself. Just looked underneath the truck and it appears way different than the ones I saw in the vids. This is 2021 and the front of the muffler, ( inlet ), seems to be about 2' of maybe 3" pipe welded to the muffler and welded to a flange which connects to the flange on the end of the pipe coming from the cat. So all that has to be removed. Worse yet the outlet is one pipe and on the passenger side is all welded pieces all the way to the tip. So the inlet pipe welded to the muffler and the outlet pipe all the way to the tip would have to be removed. So for 2021 it seems like there will be no easy muffler swap. If any of you have 2021, could you take a look and verify if it's the same as I described. If so all the aftermarket shops will have to mock up a whole new set up just for the 2021. So basically you have to cut the OEM muffler at the outlet or purchase a whole cat back system. Thanks

On a bolt-on installation for the 5.7L RAMs, the "Direct-Fit" systems, you unbolt the pipe from the inlet side, however you cut on the outlet side. They supply a clamp to connect to the Y-pipe you cut from, they recommend a tack weld to make sure it doesn't come lose over time.

My dealer always recommends that if you install an aftermarket muffler, to simply get the muffler and have it welded on by a good muffler shop. Not only is it cheaper, but more secure. The only reason to buy a direct-fit muffler is if you don't have a muffler shop close by. I paid $250 for my muffler & install, the shop knew exactly the size I needed and already had it in stock for the same price I could have got it online.

I like kinda aggressive, I went with a Flowmaster Outlaw, which is similar in size to the middle picture posted above. It's classic muscle car aggressive, however it is quiet and zero done at highway speeds.

It should be noted that all direct-fit/muffler only exhaust will drone in MDS (4-cylinder mode). There is a reason why the stock muffler is the size of an oil can. To fix this, you simple avoid running in MDS mode, such as setting your gear limiter to 8. If you want to run in MDS mode with no drone, you need a tuned cat-back exhaust like the Borla ATAK or similar.

Here is the interior sound of my exhaust at low speeds....

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did you install yours by yourself. If so where did you cut the pipe. Some say 1" some 1 1/4" from the weld on the muffler. If you haven't done it yet, can you take some pics or video. I just ordered the oval one and Thanks for the discount code.
Yes...I installed the first one myself. Super easy. Sawzall and my socket set. The hardest part is getting the factory rubber hangers loose to release the old muffler.

Last edited:

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I switched to a Solo muffler on my '09 Ram 1500 and I really like the sound. I went with this because it does not have that awful sound when in MDS like the Flow-masters do. I am looking to trade up to a 2021 when I find a truck with the right options for me. I'm sure the choices are a lot better than they were 12 years ago.

Kenny4

Reaction score
Yes...I installed the first one myself. Super easy. Sawzall and my socket set. The hardest part is getting the factory rubber hangers loose to release the old muffler.
On your 2021, have you been under it to look at the exhaust. On mine after the weld on the muffler there is exactly 1" of straight pipe at I guess 3" diameter, then it has a slight bulge to a small increase in the pipe size. Same piece of pipe, and then goes quickly into a curve. It's not a simple straight piece of pipe to cut. Does yours look like that? Thanks

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread