5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 1500 Y80 Recall no fix yet

Relish01

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck getting the Y80 recall fixed. It’s very disappointing that my new ram 1500 with trailer steering has cause my reverse screen to not show a picture. The screen is blue and my rear bumper sensors do not work also Electronic throttle position light shows up on dashboard. The backup display was very nice while it worked by know it doesn’t work. Sure wish Ram would get a fix out soon .
UPDATE 02/22/2022
It took three months to get Y80 recall fixed. Recall solution was to have a reprogramming update. Dealer told me a bunch codes were involved. I amglad it did not the a new reverse steer module. These are hard to come by for dealers. I think because the technician followed the programing instructions correctly it did not need a new module. Great to have rear camera/ throttle body position and rear bumper sensors working again.

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . Sorry I’m not familiar with the Y-80 recall . It sounds like you might have a bad battery though .

Relish01

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve had lots of new vehicles but this is my first Ram Truck. I’ve never experienced a manufacturer drag there feet on a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve had lots of new vehicles but this is my first Ram Truck. I’ve never experienced a manufacturer drag there feet on a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it sucks, especially for a truck on it's 3rd model year (4th coming soon). But they did some upgrades and apparently didn't test it properly before release. I'm sure they are trying to get one out soon, but they need to figure it out, then verify it's stable.

My 2019 has honestly been flawless, so there is hope :)

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
My rebel keeps getting a black screen during reversing or the image is frozen. I’m guessing this has to do with my reverse steering?
I randomly get reverse steering not available. No issues until recently with this.
Any word when ram will fix this?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's fairly standard to send about a notice without a repair. They know there is a problem and they are working on it. It sucks but almost every recall has a preliminary notice from them.

ktischler

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck getting the Y80 recall fixed. It’s very disappointing that my new ram 1500 with trailer steering has cause my reverse screen to not show a picture. The screen is blue and my rear bumper sensors do not work also Electronic throttle position light shows up on dashboard. The backup display was very nice while it worked by know it doesn’t work. Sure wish Ram would get a fix out soon .

The dealer called me last week that they had the software update for the Y80 recall. They said it would take 45 min to 1 hr to do the update. I went in the next day and waited 2 hrs while they worked on it. The software update would not load, they tried 4 times. So now they have decided the module needs to be replace, but Mopar has none. They are trying to find one at another dealer, but I can't imagine a dealer would be willing to turn loose of one as they may be needed to fix the trucks they sold. YMMV, good luck.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer called me last week that they had the software update for the Y80 recall. They said it would take 45 min to 1 hr to do the update. I went in the next day and waited 2 hrs while they worked on it. The software update would not load, they tried 4 times. So now they have decided the module needs to be replace, but Mopar has none. They are trying to find one at another dealer, but I can't imagine a dealer would be willing to turn loose of one as they may be needed to fix the trucks they sold. YMMV, good luck.
It's because they didn't follow the directions the 1st attempt at the update.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how these systems will operate when they’re 10 or 20 years old….

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that? If I have more info perhaps I can get the dealer to try again.
there are reports from tech advisors that if the procedure isn't done correctly the updates may not work. The reset needs to be done like the recall states before performing the update

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think this 1 recall really has anything to do with it. I suspect it's a question he was wondering about before this thread came along. There have been quite a few recalls since the 5th gens first came out. I think it's a legit question to ask. With more technology and complex systems comes more of a chance that something will fail. This is true of any new vehicle from any manufacturer.

bucolic

Reaction score
Was that comment trying to be inflammatory?

It is a legit question, does this 1 recall make you wonder how the will work in the future?

I got the recall notice on my truck for this but I never had an issue with the camera at all with or without the trailer hooked up so it didn't worry me too much.

On djevox post, I was thinking this same thing as I was watching this YouTuber who goes around and gets cars running that have been sitting for 25 years and then drives them home like 500 miles! I was wondering if that will be possible in 2072 when someone finds a 2022 Ram in a field that hadn't been started or run in 30 years. Will all the code be available somewhere to just connect to the brain of the vehicles and get them running, or will it all have gone the way of 3G networks which AT&T is turning off this week so any devices running on 3G are obsolete?

So you find this 50-year-old Ram Limited and the Info screen doesn't light up will it even be possible to get it working or will the parts and code all be long gone? I won't be around to see but I have often wondered watching these videos if that will be possible in modern cars. I wonder what the Mecum Auctions will be like if they are still around! But then again, there may not even be gas available so it really won't matter anyway!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got the recall notice on my truck for this but I never had an issue with the camera at all with or without the trailer hooked up so it didn't worry me too much.

On djevox post, I was thinking this same thing as I was watching this YouTuber who goes around and gets cars running that have been sitting for 25 years and then drives them home like 500 miles! I was wondering if that will be possible in 2072 when someone finds a 2022 Ram in a field that hadn't been started or run in 30 years. Will all the code be available somewhere to just connect to the brain of the vehicles and get them running, or will it all have gone the way of 3G networks which AT&T is turning off this week so any devices running on 3G are obsolete?

So you find this 50-year-old Ram Limited and the Info screen doesn't light up will it even be possible to get it working or will the parts and code all be long gone? I won't be around to see but I have often wondered watching these videos if that will be possible in modern cars. I wonder what the Mecum Auctions will be like if they are still around! But then again, there may not even be gas available so it really won't matter anyway!

That’s exactly why I posted what I did, thanks for responding. I had a total of two hours of discussions with the heads of our family business (auto repair) about what we will do in the future because we are already running into problems with electronic parts being unavailable. Our short term solution is to get junkyard parts, but what happens when the junkyard parts are gone? I actually know the answer to this and have the ability to solve it (my main job and passion is software engineering), but I’m not sure I want to put in the man-hours or money to see that business idea through.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s exactly why I posted what I did, thanks for responding. I had a total of two hours of discussions with the heads of our family business (auto repair) about what we will do in the future because we are already running into problems with electronic parts being unavailable. Our short term solution is to get junkyard parts, but what happens when the junkyard parts are gone? I actually know the answer to this and have the ability to solve it (my main job and passion is software engineering), but I’m not sure I want to put in the man-hours or money to see that business idea through.
It all makes sense now. I guess if there was a topic started about it rather than posting in a recall post it would make more sense. Yes electronic parts can be difficult to get on cars that are 8-10 years old now. Getting a vehicle running from 1980 vs 2020 after sitting for 30 years is totally separate issue. Again the short comment made it seem to me that you were concerned over a recall and how that system will operate in 15-20 years....

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It all makes sense now. I guess if there was a topic started about it rather than posting in a recall post it would make more sense. Yes electronic parts can be difficult to get on cars that are 8-10 years old now. Getting a vehicle running from 1980 vs 2020 after sitting for 30 years is totally separate issue. Again the short comment made it seem to me that you were concerned over a recall and how that system will operate in 15-20 years....
Yep, I was venting some frustration but I don’t see a need to start a whole thread about it and invite people to my pity party.

Users who are viewing this thread