5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 1500 Limited, transmission issues.

rkelz1

Reaction score
I built a new 2021 Ram 1500 Limited that I took delivery of 3 weeks ago. I noticed when I first started driving it that it seemed to downshift rather harsh. Because it was new I thought maybe it was just tight and needed a few miles on it before I took it in for service. Well today it locked up in 5th gear and wouldn't downshift at all, of course the service trans and check engine light came on as well. I cant BELIVE a $71,000 truck with 1100 miles on it has trans issues
!!!! I hope this isn't handwriting on the wall for future problems! Waiting to hear from service dept. Anyone else have transmission problems?
So I just bought 1st RAM, 2021 Laramie Sport, just love the bad *** look, strangely I was always a 4Runner man had 3 and still the last, NEVER any problems

Love the look of the RAM and Hemi has some giddy up but I really miss 4runner slapstick which I used all the time rather than dummy D, have got as much as 90k on original oem brakes, truly unbelievable

RAM dial-a-gear takes getting used to but I'm not at all sure I like RAMS gearing and auto ****, hate engine shutdown at stops with lurch, realize it can be turned off but thus far it seems you have to this at every start, maybe someone can tell me otherwise

My main gripe is strange gearing like car want to run show rather than driver, anyone else feel that way? This was like $54k truck wish I had no complaints, but auto trans feels a bit weird to me as multi decade 4Runner man

But I do love smoking tires, reminds be of my 20s when I has 1986 Buick Regal T-type, then fastest production car in America, what a blast that was, miss those days!

Lloyd2021

Reaction score
I use the feature where the engine stops and starts on my 2021 Ram Limited. I have less than 2500 miles and recently it stopped on me three times. Each time I was stopped and tried to pull off and instead of the engine starting, the truck died. The lights on the dashboard (to include the parking brake light) all lit up and the red brake light was the brightest. The last time was scary because I was on a busy highway with cars and 18 wheelers and when the light changed the truck died. I put it in park and started it and it went fine, which is what happened the previous two times. I will stop using that feature and hope this will fix the issue. I have a service appointment on Tuesday.

TS RAM

Reaction score
new 2021 eco diesel here. zero problems so far....500mi.

Every20years

Reaction score
So I just bought 1st RAM, 2021 Laramie Sport, just love the bad *** look, strangely I was always a 4Runner man had 3 and still the last, NEVER any problems

Love the look of the RAM and Hemi has some giddy up but I really miss 4runner slapstick which I used all the time rather than dummy D, have got as much as 90k on original oem brakes, truly unbelievable

RAM dial-a-gear takes getting used to but I'm not at all sure I like RAMS gearing and auto ****, hate engine shutdown at stops with lurch, realize it can be turned off but thus far it seems you have to this at every start, maybe someone can tell me otherwise

My main gripe is strange gearing like car want to run show rather than driver, anyone else feel that way? This was like $54k truck wish I had no complaints, but auto trans feels a bit weird to me as multi decade 4Runner man

But I do love smoking tires, reminds be of my 20s when I has 1986 Buick Regal T-type, then fastest production car in America, what a blast that was, miss those days!
A full size truck is different than a 4Runner. You buy the 5.7L Hemi for different reasons than a 4Runner. How’s the ride of the Ram vs the 4Runner. I just ordered my Limited instead of the Tacoma purely because of the ride and comfort. Drove from Denver to Breckenridge with a friend in a new Tacoma. Nice truck but on I70 it was rough and downshifted constantly up the mountains. Took a Ram 1500 Ltd EcoDiesel up the 6% grades and it was smooth and barely broke a sweat. Can’t wait to get my new truck.

rkelz1

Reaction score
A full size truck is different than a 4Runner. You buy the 5.7L Hemi for different reasons than a 4Runner. How’s the ride of the Ram vs the 4Runner. I just ordered my Limited instead of the Tacoma purely because of the ride and comfort. Drove from Denver to Breckenridge with a friend in a new Tacoma. Nice truck but on I70 it was rough and downshifted constantly up the mountains. Took a Ram 1500 Ltd EcoDiesel up the 6% grades and it was smooth and barely broke a sweat. Can’t wait to get my new truck.
You have good point, the ride.of 1500 Laramie Sport is amazing, more like a luxury sedan with cowboy boots, the 22 in rims and low profile tires help, its why I chose sport over Rebel, i likevto drive quick, Rebel sucks at handling on highway as far as Im concerned, most guys dont buy $55 k trucks to beat them up off road, but let me condition that, most smart guys

Thats what I keep my old 4Runner for

TS RAM

Reaction score
UPDATE: Now clicked past 2500 Miles and I LOVE this Ecodiesel 1500!! Sorry about anyone experiencing any problems...mine has zero so far...will update again down the road.

Reaction score
Hey guys, is it OK to vent? I special ordered a 21 Longhorn with all the options. I flew from Socal to Idaho to pick it up and drive home. I made it 197 miles and check engine light, battery light, charging gauge read zero, lost radio, nav, then ac, then power steering and finally it shut off in middle of nowhere Montana. 6 hours to get towed to a closed dealership. Had to leave out front with windows down( only tow company in entire area had no jump box). I had to pay 600 for flight and 150 for hotel, gotta fly home and who knows how or when I'll get my truck. I was a GM guy, sold a 15 Silverado that never left me stranded, almost bought Denali but was swayed to the Ram. I hope it's just a defective battery.... thanks guys for letting me throw this out there

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, is it OK to vent? I special ordered a 21 Longhorn with all the options. I flew from Socal to Idaho to pick it up and drive home. I made it 197 miles and check engine light, battery light, charging gauge read zero, lost radio, nav, then ac, then power steering and finally it shut off in middle of nowhere Montana. 6 hours to get towed to a closed dealership. Had to leave out front with windows down( only tow company in entire area had no jump box). I had to pay 600 for flight and 150 for hotel, gotta fly home and who knows how or when I'll get my truck. I was a GM guy, sold a 15 Silverado that never left me stranded, almost bought Denali but was swayed to the Ram. I hope it's just a defective battery.... thanks guys for letting me throw this out there

Wow, that sucks dude. I've been a Ram guy for years and if that happened to me I'd be so pissed, I probably wouldn't buy from them again. Hope your issue is sorted. Make sure to let your dealer who you bought it from know and have them fix it.

Reaction score
Wow, that sucks dude. I've been a Ram guy for years and if that happened to me I'd be so pissed, I probably wouldn't buy from them again. Hope your issue is sorted. Make sure to let your dealer who you bought it from know and have them fix it.
Thanks man, yeah I'm pretty bummed, was so happy for 190 miles lol

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

**** happens

and then

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Sounds like the battery died and the alternator wasn't charging, or you lost the main ground to the block. Which is not uncommon.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most automatic transmission issues are fluids related. Wear isn't an issue usually on a new transmission. Automatics need fluids to built pressure to change gears and shift. My bet is that the transmission was low from the factory. But a defective part or computer or random FCA gremlin isn't out of the question either. Just make sure you are happy with the fix and start mentioning it now that you'd prefer they swap you into a new truck. A decent dealer will get that ball rolling asap as with covid there are serious parts delays since all the parts come from across the globe. It may have worked fine in the past, but Just in time manufacturing is dead now for the foreseeable future.
Unless it's a ford 🤣 their 2021s just had a major recall on bad trans... Also on leaking windshield... Also on stearing gear locking up!

Reaction score
Sounds like the battery died and the alternator wasn't charging, or you lost the main ground to the block. Which is not uncommon.
Being a shop owner I thought same thing, you just don't expect or are ready for that with 200 miles on brand new truck, but I deal with defective parts sadly too regularly

Reaction score
Update: defective alternator, 220 miles. Still don't have truck and 1st payment date is coming quickly

Pakman13

Reaction score
I built a new 2021 Ram 1500 Limited that I took delivery of 3 weeks ago. I noticed when I first started driving it that it seemed to downshift rather harsh. Because it was new I thought maybe it was just tight and needed a few miles on it before I took it in for service. Well today it locked up in 5th gear and wouldn't downshift at all, of course the service trans and check engine light came on as well. I cant BELIVE a $71,000 truck with 1100 miles on it has trans issues
!!!! I hope this isn't handwriting on the wall for future problems! Waiting to hear from service dept. Anyone else have transmission problems?
Hi Skip I have a 2021 Ram 8000 miles got it December 31 2020. Transmission is stuck I lowered great. Engine light on and tells me to get shifter serviced. Did they ever fix your issue. Seems very similar to mine.

GeorgetownfarmerMM

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll. Put me down on the list as well... I've had my '21 1500 Crew Cab Bighorn for almost a year, it's got 11,500 mi. and I almost didn't make it to work last night.The Automatic Transmission is definitely messed up. Truck has been serviced three times at the dealership, last time I asked them to check the CEL, well they didn't. They told me to clear it with my code reader at home then if it comes back to bring it in when I can...
Thompsons Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram California... well it was shaking, wouldn't shift, high ram's, and basically I thought it would die before I got to work. Which could have cost me my Job. I feel it's not safe to drive, definitely not going to try. Waiting for dealership to call me back. I am crushed, this is my first new car and I use it on my 21 acres to do Forresty and farming towing a 10'x8' dump trailer. I really hope they don't screw me somehow, already contacted a lemon law lawyer. Anyway phone needs to charge, send your good vibes my way if ya can. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks.

Who's the dummy who designed a 4x4 truck to have a friggn file organizer for the center console Anyway... it's 2022 wtf!? Screenshot_20220318-100336_Video Player.jpg

@JKEDSNAKE

Reaction score
2019 Limited with transmission issues here, truck has been ****ting the bed for the past 18k miles, rough as hell shifting and dropping gear into neutral during slow down. Almost got me T-boned at an intersection during a left hand turn. Dealer can't diagnose or replicate even though I've provided several videos of it doing it. I'm now waiting on Ram cares to figure out what's next. They've even floated a vehicle buy back for being a lemon. What do you guys think?

HAL9001

Reaction score
Get a new truck and move on.
It's not so easy replacing a truck these days. The prices are way up, there are new truck shortages, used truck shortages, and trucks are being sold without normally available desirable options due to the chip shortages. Not to mention interest rates are going up. Not a great time to buy.

I often worry about what I would do if I needed to replace my 2021 1500 due to an accident or warranty situation like above.

@JKEDSNAKE

Reaction score
Get a new truck and move on.
Drop 70k+ on a new truck, it turns out to be a lemon and we're just supposed to move on? I did drop the cash too, not payments so if they end up taking it back and buying it out all of a sudden im out 30k... all under 40k miles. We'll see what Ram cares comes up with this week...

Users who are viewing this thread