5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 1500 ecoDiesel oil filter ripoff

fla10000

Reaction score
This filter is only available at the dealer at a cost of over $100.00. This is a cheap, plastic fliter that has a paper filter inside. I bought their last one. REALLY? This is my first RAM product. While I like the truck , I wonder what other surprises await me. I have heard about the total lack of aftermarket parts for RAM but couldn’t believe it. I am a believer now. Does anyone have a conversion kit or an aftermarket oil filter? I would imagine this is the same crap for water fuel filters, air filters, and any other general maintenance required to properly take care of this investment.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This filter is only available at the dealer at a cost of over $100.00. This is a cheap, plastic fliter that has a paper filter inside. I bought their last one. REALLY? This is my first RAM product. While I like the truck , I wonder what other surprises await me. I have heard about the total lack of aftermarket parts for RAM but couldn’t believe it. I am a believer now. Does anyone have a conversion kit or an aftermarket oil filter? I would imagine this is the same crap for water fuel filters, air filters, and any other general maintenance required to properly take care of this investment.
I bought my oil filters and fuel filters from rockauto.com, they are OEM filters, they are close to half price, I ordered 2 filters of each to save on shipping costs, and they ship to Canada, if you are Canadian. Shopping online in Canada is frustrating sometimes, at Mopar Canada the shipping is ridiculous, ends up not cheaper than from the dealer.
I buy OEM filters because I will bring my truck at the dealer for the oil changes, while it is under warranty, I supply the oil and the filters, I will only get charged the labour. I buy the oil in 5 gallon pails at half price compared to the dealer prices.
I know the cost is more for the services for our small displacement Diesels but every gallon of fuel will bring you a lot further than a gallon of gas, and diesel is usually cheaper than the 89 octane gas that the 5.7 Hemi recommends.

Arth

Reaction score
I don't have an ecodiesel but I just looked at “dieselfiltersonline.com” and they claim to have Mopar filters for $43.95. You'll have to verify part numbers.

I've bought 2 oil filters from dieselfiltersonline so far and I haven't had any issues. Part numbers match and it matches the factory one perfectly.

I also purchased a fuel filter, air filter, and cabin air filter from them to do my 10k maintenance and they were able to beat even the Online Mopar website.

Look go do yourself a favor and return that filter. Save some money and lets make this surprise a good one. 20210221_081945.jpg 20210221_081958.jpg 20210221_082107.jpg

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got an ecodiesel on order, so I'll be living this, I guess.

Seeing pictures of that filter, I'm stunned that Mopar includes the bottom piece. All my German cars have cartridge-style oil filters. They look just like that Mopar one, but you just remove the filter element, put in the new filter element into the bottom cup, and then screw it back into the engine.

Huh. Looks like I'll be a bulk-order member of dieselfiltersonline.

Arth

Reaction score
I've got an ecodiesel on order, so I'll be living this, I guess.

Seeing pictures of that filter, I'm stunned that Mopar includes the bottom piece. All my German cars have cartridge-style oil filters. They look just like that Mopar one, but you just remove the filter element, put in the new filter element into the bottom cup, and then screw it back into the engine.

Huh. Looks like I'll be a bulk-order member of dieselfiltersonline.

In the Gen 2 Ecodiesels that was the case. For whatever reason on the Gen 3 you can't separate them. The factory one can be separated but when you order a new filter this is what you get.

Reactions: c3k

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the Gen 2 Ecodiesels that was the case. For whatever reason on the Gen 3 you can't separate them. The factory one can be separated but when you order a new filter this is what you get.
My truck is on order, so if I'm off base, snap me back to reality.

Option 1: buy a separate cup that fits and find filter elements that will work with it.
Option 2 (since it looks like the filter change makes a mess on the driver's side of the block): relocate the filter and use a standard spin-on style.

I'm leaning towards option 2...

FWIW, I became a convert to Fumoto oil valves a couple decades ago. Between them and easy/clean filter swaps, oil changes only take 15 minutes and if a single drip comes off, I feel like I've failed.

Arth

Reaction score
My truck is on order, so if I'm off base, snap me back to reality.

Option 1: buy a separate cup that fits and find filter elements that will work with it.
Option 2 (since it looks like the filter change makes a mess on the driver's side of the block): relocate the filter and use a standard spin-on style.

I'm leaning towards option 2...

FWIW, I became a convert to Fumoto oil valves a couple decades ago. Between them and easy/clean filter swaps, oil changes only take 15 minutes and if a single drip comes off, I feel like I've failed.

The oil filter doesn't make a mess at all. Personally I would just purchase them as they come and let it go. Has a built in drain back valve so when you unscrew it the oil drains back into the engine and when you lift the filter away no mess.

As far as the drain plug the fumoto is a must. Otherwise it'll make a big mess all over the cross member while is drains. I've got one installed and just connect a rubber hose that leads to my drain pan. No pain no mess.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The oil filter doesn't make a mess at all. Personally I would just purchase them as they come and let it go. Has a built in drain back valve so when you unscrew it the oil drains back into the engine and when you lift the filter away no mess.

As far as the drain plug the fumoto is a must. Otherwise it'll make a big mess all over the cross member while is drains. I've got one installed and just connect a rubber hose that leads to my drain pan. No pain no mess.
Which Fumoto did you go with?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the new Gen 106SX as it can clock where the output points, by using a Banjo Bolt set up.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread