5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited Technology Group Option

Brian2021

Reaction score
Curious to see who has this option, specifically these features.

LED Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp
Rear-View Auto-Dimming Digital Display Mirror

I want to install an ARE/Leer Shell and think that since this technology is on the rear cab, the Shell will interfere with the cameras and such. The shell will be level to the Cab.

Thanks

Reaction score
Brian - the camera is built into the brake light but shoots straight back (you don't see the bed in the image). I feel like the cab would block at least part of the view.

1618453563742.png

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you’re considering a shell, how would this be any more of a hindrance than your non-camera rear view mirror? Shells will block your mirror just as they will block the 3rd brake light where the tech package camera lives.

I thought shell owners lost rear view mirror anyway camera or no camera, right?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Curious to see who has this option, specifically these features.

LED Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp
Rear-View Auto-Dimming Digital Display Mirror

I want to install an ARE/Leer Shell and think that since this technology is on the rear cab, the Shell will interfere with the cameras and such. The shell will be level to the Cab.

Thanks
Like mentioned, yes, the shell will block the camera. But, consider this- that package also comes with the heads up display. I would say eventually, some aftermarket is going to come up with a solution to relocate the camera for the digital rear view mirror to the back of a topper. It would be fairly simple to do it now if you fabricate your own mounting solution for a camera if you by a spare one. The camera is connected to the mirror by a single coax cable, and it’s easy to find various lengths of that cable.

Brian2021

Reaction score
Drat. I was afraid of this situation. I have a Ford f150 with shell and I can see thru the rear slider and shell. The brake light LED is wired to the Shell's brake light. My biggest concern is loosing some of the technology/camera benefits. Is this part of the real time video display system in the rear view camera?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Drat. I was afraid of this situation. I have a Ford f150 with shell and I can see thru the rear slider and shell. The brake light LED is wired to the Shell's brake light. My biggest concern is loosing some of the technology/camera benefits. Is this part of the real time video display system in the rear view camera?
The camera in the third brake light needs line of sight in order for the image displayed in the mirror to be useful. I think the tech package is $1100? Even if the digital rear view mirror feature is hindered by a shell, the heads up display alone is worth the 1100.

Brian2021

Reaction score
The camera in the third brake light needs line of sight in order for the image displayed in the mirror to be useful. I think the tech package is $1100? Even if the digital rear view mirror feature is hindered by a shell, the heads up display alone is worth the 1100.

For sure. My friend has a Vett with a HUD and says the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online