5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited "Off–Road Group" Question

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
haha, I tried that for a little while. Picked up a little used Caddy ATS RWD stick, just to try something different than a truck, even though it went against my bigger is safer thing. Man that was fun, for a while. It's downfall for me was on long drives over around 2 hours which I do frequently. I found that I was cramped in the little ****pit over time, and while it was really a fun car, on long interstate drives my head would actually hit the roof on all the bridges on Rt 80 in the East doing 75+. Not kidding. After about 10-20 head bangs I said enough and got the 300. ahhhhhh much better.
And I'm not big at 5-8 190lbs. Just is what it was.

Nothing like a true full size vehicle for comfort on longer trips. That's mostly the reason I've almost always had full sized trucks, and we still travel a lot so it's nice to be able to do so in comfort.

Rented an escalade a few years ago while in California and drove it from L.A. to S.F. Was pretty disappointed with how cramped it felt after a while, I knew it wasn't going to be as wide as my ram but it was still a let down. I bet those new grand wagoneers are good for road trips since they are based on the ram.

As for the original topic, I think overall most of the full size trucks I've ridden in have been alright, but ram has been the best for a while with the coil springs. I don't have any experience with air suspension though.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing like a true full size vehicle for comfort on longer trips. That's mostly the reason I've almost always had full sized trucks, and we still travel a lot so it's nice to be able to do so in comfort.

When my wife rides with me in my Mazda 3 and we're on the interstate going by a semi (or worse, going between two on a multi-lane stretch) she's white knuckled, pale, and clutching the door handle and seat. When we're in the truck, she doesn't even notice. 😆

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When my wife rides with me in my Mazda 3 and we're on the interstate going by a semi (or worse, going between two on a multi-lane stretch) she's white knuckled, pale, and clutching the door handle and seat. When we're in the truck, she doesn't even notice. 😆
That’s proof right there that big trucks can save lives. Just like @Whoa_Ram getting a supercharger.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's the same when we're in the Audi. She tends to ask if it's my intention to kill her that day whenever I pass other cars and trucks :ROFLMAO:
The Audi has no problems getting out of its own way, but it sits pretty low to the ground, and she feels more vulnerable when riding in it. When were in the truck she doesn't even look up from her iPad when I pass someone.

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
I’m not sure what your point is here. I just did a 3,300 mile road trip in the Longhorn—half of it towing. Rode like a dream loaded and unloaded.
My point was to the post above me. He was saying you do not buy a truck to ride like a cadillac. I was pointing out that I have had high end trucks on the farm for alot of years. Do not need to buy a pickup to ride like a real truck. I have enough semis and straight trucks on the farm if If I want to buck all over the road and feel like a "man".;)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My point was to the post above me. He was saying you do not buy a truck to ride like a cadillac. I was pointing out that I have had high end trucks on the farm for alot of years. Do not need to buy a pickup to ride like a real truck. I have enough semis and straight trucks on the farm if If I want to buck all over the road and feel like a "man".;)
Fair enough…that’s what I grew up with, too. And exactly zero of the 5th gen Ram suspension configurations (coils, air, ORG, or combinations of these) are going to ride like a farm truck.

LouNY

Reaction score
My 19 Laramie has the air suspension and the off road package. And I have the 18" wheels with the 6 ply
original equipment tires (Falkens) the ride is excellent with good field and farm roadway traction.
My winter tires are 10 ply rated and the ride is not quite as good and neither is the mileage.
But it still rides nicely on pot holed roads and smooth highways, washboarded dirt roads it is
simply amazing what it will do and how comfortable it is.

n7qpp

Reaction score
A lot of good info from you all. I decided not to purchased this truck. In fact will not be buying any used RAM. After getting a quote from MD. I can buy a brand new RAM spec'd exactly like I want for less then a used unit.

Joe

NRitland2

Reaction score
A lot of good info from you all. I decided not to purchased this truck. In fact will not be buying any used RAM. After getting a quote from MD. I can buy a brand new RAM spec'd exactly like I want for less then a used unit.

Joe
Best of luck with your build!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, right now you're better off buying new than a one or two year old truck. The only thing you might want to look at is options you can get on '22 models because of parts shortages. Ram has changed a lot of things in the last few months. Make sure you know what is and is not included in the different option packages. Good luck with your search. I hope you get the exact truck you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread