5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited "Off–Road Group" Question

n7qpp

Reaction score
I have been on the hunt for a '20 or '21 Limited with a specific set of options and at a price within in my budget. No an easy task. But I did find a truck about 800 miles from me that meets my needs, but also has the Off–Road Group. I was wondering if the Off–Road Group significantly changes the ride of the Limited ie does make it harsher?

Thanks Joe

NRitland2

Reaction score
I have it for the 22’ Big Horn. I test drove a model without the off road group before I ordered and don’t notice much of a difference. But the limited could be different? Others with Limiteds will comment.

In my opinion the off road group is a no brainer due to amount you get for the price.

Last edited:

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I have been on the hunt for a '20 or '21 Limited with a specific set of options and at a price within in my budget. No an easy task. But I did find a truck about 800 miles from me that meets my needs, but also has the Off–Road Group. I was wondering if the Off–Road Group significantly changes the ride of the Limited ie does make it harsher?

Thanks Joe
On the Limited it DOES make it ride harsher....considerably. if you don't need/want the ORG features don't get it. I for one will never spec it again. Also lose a ride height setting on Limited and it rides higher in all conditions which hurts fuel economy too.....😒

CanRebel

Reaction score
I have it on my Rebel. I would tend to agree with @AMS Guru above.
if you aren't going to Off-Road... don't get it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks Joe
I’ve got a Longhorn with both AS and ORG…so exactly the same setup as a Limited with ORG.

We’ve discussed this a lot in old threads, but the AS and ORG complement each other well. Coming from an HD truck, I didn’t want a super soft ride. And I added the Hellwig sway bar to reduce rear end roll in the corners (even at highway speeds).

I don’t get off the beaten path enough to justify the ORG for that purpose only. But I like the subtle increase in ride height, better spare, way better OEM tires, and “solid/firm” ride added by the ORG. It’s actually a really good value.

MattGalmish

Reaction score
I agree with all statements……….however, why buy a “truck” if you want it to ride like a Cadillac?! I mean I get it, but if you’re being that picky about options in your price range, the ORP/ORG is well worth the benefits over the drawbacks. When I bought my truck, I honestly couldn’t tell a difference between the limited and mine. Especially since that limited had the 20 or 22in wheel pkg. which lacks that sidewall support/cushion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
Becaue some of us take 2000 mile trips. I have had f 150 platinums, ram longhorn's with air suspension and now my 21 limited. I farm so am in the dirrt, gravel,muck,ditches probably more than most here. I want to be able to go from dirt to road and have a smooth ride. Nothing "manly" abourt bucking shaking your butt off on the road.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Becaue some of us take 2000 mile trips. I have had f 150 platinums, ram longhorn's with air suspension and now my 21 limited. I farm so am in the dirrt, gravel,muck,ditches probably more than most here. I want to be able to go from dirt to road and have a smooth ride. Nothing "manly" abourt bucking shaking your butt off on the road.
I’m not sure what your point is here. I just did a 3,300 mile road trip in the Longhorn—half of it towing. Rode like a dream loaded and unloaded.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I own both. Started with a '20 Laramie with ORG and air-ride. I bought that one off the lot and took what they had. I wouldn't have ordered either option, but I was pleasantly surprised with how great it rode. I am after the best ride as I age. Was in GM's forever, got a Ford and it rode better, I thought I was in heaven until I drove my '20 Ram. Wow it was amazing (to me).
So good in fact, that when I was back in the East and drove my '18 300, I was like "wow, that Ram rides better than my 300, go figure".
When I say ride good, a good ride to me means the least harsh over potholes and the like. The harshness of a hit is what I dislike as I age.
So I traded my 300 and my Ford on a '21 Limited that I ordered and spec'd it similar to my '20, everything the same except I now added the Safety thing to get the auto-cruise (needed in the East, not so much in the West). I was concerned over the 20" tires on the Limited vs the 18's on my '20 Laramie, and if it would add to any harshness. It did not. As a bonus with the ORG, ya get the very good Falken's and the locking rear, needed in the West, not the East, although I used it already when we got 30" of snow last winter in the East to get in my driveway that the plows had built up about 20" when I got home. I was also able to raise the truck up the highest it would go, which I'm confident helped me through the 20", but I'm guessing the locked rear was the biggest contributor.
And there are way more potholes in the East than the West. If I had to put a number on it, I would say the 20" tires are about 10-20% less forgiving than the 18's, but it is still Soooooo good I haven't enjoyed a better riding vehicle in over 20 years since my last Buick Park Ave.
Best of luck.
As a side note, one thing I can't explain is the Laramie with 18's handles a little better than the Limited with 20's. It is noticeable. Handling as in going around fast turns. I've tried different pressures in the 20's and nothing works. It is opposite you would expect, but it is what it is. Maybe it's the Limited rides a little higher as someone said above, but I don't notice the added ride height much at all.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As a side note, one thing I can't explain is the Laramie with 18's handles a little better than the Limited with 20's. It is noticeable. Handling as in going around fast turns. I've tried different pressures in the 20's and nothing works. It is opposite you would expect, but it is what it is. Maybe it's the Limited rides a little higher as someone said above, but I don't notice the added ride height much at all.
Nice explanation!

Thinking about these last comments: this feeling could be stemming from more unsprung weight in the wheels/tires, but I honestly think you’re just experiencing the weight difference between your Laramie and Limited. It’s like you’re driving around a Laramie with sandbags in the cab and bed…all the time.

The Hellwig will sort most of that right out. Search existing threads for hundreds of reviews.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read several things about ORG and AS complimenting each other. I opted for ORG on my Limited. It felt like a good value and I'd rather have it for old logging roads and a few trips out west I have planned in my head, than to not have it. That combination seems to ride better than a Ford or a Chevy and I'd say probably none of them ride better than a quality minivan these days 😛

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what your point is here. I just did a 3,300 mile road trip in the Longhorn—half of it towing. Rode like a dream loaded and unloaded.
I believe he was responding to MattGalmish's post when he asked "why buy a “truck” if you want it to ride like a Cadillac?!". At least that's how I took it.

As far as the OP's question goes, you really just need to drive both and compare them for yourself. Ride comfort is subjective. There are already conflicting responses in this thread from seemingly credible people. So then it comes down to who to believe. In essence a guess. It's really to your benefit to experience both for yourself.

ChrisID

Reaction score
Nice explanation!

Thinking about these last comments: this feeling could be stemming from more unsprung weight in the wheels/tires, but I honestly think you’re just experiencing the weight difference between your Laramie and Limited. It’s like you’re driving around a Laramie with sandbags in the cab and bed…all the time.

The Hellwig will sort most of that right out. Search existing threads for hundreds of reviews.
Thanks SpeedyV. Very well could be the weight difference, although the Laramie was loaded up, not sure what would be different. The Laramie has a roof too, the Limited does not. Both are long beds. The Limited does seem to role a little more. And the Falkens do have very deep tread, so maybe they are squirming more on the 20's?
It is not a big deal to me either way, just an observation that this engineer wonders 'why' about this things.

broken_vet

Reaction score
I went from a 2020 Limited without ORG to a 2021 Limited with ORG, and in my opinion, the difference in ride isn't even noticeable. I had 22" wheels on the 2020, and the 20" on the 2021, so that may help to offset any difference there may have been. With the air suspension, the ORG only sits 1" higher on the Normal and Off Road settings, and with Aero and Entry/Exit settings, it's the same as the non ORG. I have it set to automatically go to Aero at highway speeds, so I haven't noticed any difference in mpg between the 2 trucks(both 3.92 diffs). I personally wouldn't let it stop me from getting the ORG if you're concerned about it being a harsher ride and/or worse mpg. Here in Colorado, the locker, skid plates, hill descent and off road pages have been useful for me. I've even grown to like the Off Road decal... That was actually a real concern.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice explanation!

What’s funny to me is that I stuck the stock 20’s back on and drove my laramie with eibach lift kit and hellwig to be traded in, and all that waywardness and instability was back (with the duelers). My new laramie with ORG and the Falken’s has significantly less of that old-school Cadillac floating feeling.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got the ORG on the limited and the ride is great. If it's better without it that's really saying something. 20" wheels.

Only negative as mentioned is one less ride height setting.

n7qpp

Reaction score
First thanks for all the feedback. Yes ride is very subjective.

Let me add some additional background to my ask. In Sept a driver made an illegal U-turn into the drive door of my 2016 Avalon Limited. The force of the impact cause the car to shutdown but did not deploy the airbags. Also there was no penetration into the driver area. However it did scare the "living, insert expletive here out of me". The rental car I had while the Avalon was being repaired was a new loaded Ford Explorer. I had the rental for 60 days and found I liked being up higher especially at night and in the rain.

So why a RAM 1500. Well my wife drives a '13 Highlander so we do not need another SUV. The crash really made an impression on me. I want to get into something bigger and higher up but have the nice ride. Yes i want all the bells and whistles. Again thanks for all the input.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First thanks for all the feedback. Yes ride is very subjective.

Let me add some additional background to my ask. In Sept a driver made an illegal U-turn into the drive door of my 2016 Avalon Limited. The force of the impact cause the car to shutdown but did not deploy the airbags. Also there was no penetration into the driver area. However it did scare the "living, insert expletive here out of me". The rental car I had while the Avalon was being repaired was a new loaded Ford Explorer. I had the rental for 60 days and found I liked being up higher especially at night and in the rain.

So why a RAM 1500. Well my wife drives a '13 Highlander so we do not need another SUV. The crash really made an impression on me. I want to get into something bigger and higher up but have the nice ride. Yes i want all the bells and whistles. Again thanks for all the input.
Being higher up definitely has it's advantages. I'll always have the big part of me that wants to return to my youth, and a sports car, but I figure that's what my son is for. When he's 18, I'm buying him something low to the ground and fast...... and driving it whenever I want 😉

ChrisID

Reaction score
Well, I'll share my experiences, if it will help. I'm mid 50's. When the big sedans (park ave., Impalla SS's, etc...) went away, I couldn't stomach the mid-sized sedans cause I basically lived on the road. I was a weirdo younger man driving old man's cars, cause I wanted too. So they went away and I went pickup and my wife went suburban mostly for the 'we want big' reason. I too witnessed more and more serious crashes, I can only assume cause of the cell phone problem. I even got very lucky on a few occasions of very serious head-ons at 100mph differential speeds, like mirror touching close. These experiences solidified my desire to be in as big as practical.
In the mid 90's pickups were getting nicer and I was OK with them at the time in my 30's. Every 5-7 years or so they kept getting better, so I persevered even though I longed for the nicer riding big cars of old. I think I had 7-8 GM's over that time, driving 40K+ miles a year. Then my great GM dealer (friend) went away and now older I really desired a better ride, and I tried a 300 to get a better ride, and as big of a sedan I could find and afford, and a stripper F150 for my needed truck duties, and they both satisfied my wants/needs. Then I needed a new truck in the west and I bought a Ram sight unseen. I just don't care as much anymore and figured what the hell, go for it. It so impressed me, hence the story 6 or so threads up when I bought another one to replace my 300/F150 combo. I haven't been this vehicle pleased in a long while, even though the 300 was really good. Go drive them, and best of luck

ChrisID

Reaction score
Being higher up definitely has it's advantages. I'll always have the big part of me that wants to return to my youth, and a sports car, but I figure that's what my son is for. When he's 18, I'm buying him something low to the ground and fast...... and driving it whenever I want 😉
haha, I tried that for a little while. Picked up a little used Caddy ATS RWD stick, just to try something different than a truck, even though it went against my bigger is safer thing. Man that was fun, for a while. It's downfall for me was on long drives over around 2 hours which I do frequently. I found that I was cramped in the little ****pit over time, and while it was really a fun car, on long interstate drives my head would actually hit the roof on all the bridges on Rt 80 in the East doing 75+. Not kidding. After about 10-20 head bangs I said enough and got the 300. ahhhhhh much better.
And I'm not big at 5-8 190lbs. Just is what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread