5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited 1500 weak Lane Keep Assist

StringNH

Reaction score
Like others have said. Comma.ai is what you want. It's a simple install. There really are no modifications made to the truck. All you do is remove the cover on windshield, behind the rear view mirror, unplug one connector, plug the interface harness to that connector then the factory harness also plugs into the interface harness, then run the power cable along the windshield frame and down to the OBD2 port, plug that in. Put the windshield cover back on leaving a usb cable hanging out behind the mirror. Attach the comma device to the windshield, plug the usb cable into it. Power the comma up, install the software. then enjoy the hands free driving. It is a very clean install. Most people think the hardest part is installing the software. I have nearly 20k miles using the Comma 2 in my truck. I can literally drive for hours without touching the steering wheel. It works fantastic and is only getting better. There are limitations, it wont work below 32mph and there are some curves that are too sharp for the comma to handle so you need to give it a little help at times. Hopefully that can be corrected with a firmware patch to the truck. There are people looking into that. I now hate driving any other vehicles on the highway. I'm hooked on hands free driving.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like others have said. Comma.ai is what you want. It's a simple install. There really are no modifications made to the truck. All you do is remove the cover on windshield, behind the rear view mirror, unplug one connector, plug the interface harness to that connector then the factory harness also plugs into the interface harness, then run the power cable along the windshield frame and down to the OBD2 port, plug that in. Put the windshield cover back on leaving a usb cable hanging out behind the mirror. Attach the comma device to the windshield, plug the usb cable into it. Power the comma up, install the software. then enjoy the hands free driving. It is a very clean install. Most people think the hardest part is installing the software. I have nearly 20k miles using the Comma 2 in my truck. I can literally drive for hours without touching the steering wheel. It works fantastic and is only getting better. There are limitations, it wont work below 32mph and there are some curves that are too sharp for the comma to handle so you need to give it a little help at times. Hopefully that can be corrected with a firmware patch to the truck. There are people looking into that. I now hate driving any other vehicles on the highway. I'm hooked on hands free driving.
Fully agree. Did a 650 mile trip on two lane highways and wasn't tired at the end. Don't like driving without it now.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I like the idea but the starting price of $2k is too much to get something and hope it works good for me. I just looked at the Denali Supercruse and their coverage map and some highways have it here but a ton don't to the point it wouldn't even be useful to me.
I understand it costs money to develop and manufacture stuff but why does it need a 2k display for me to look at? A 1tb Samsung nvme ssd, wtf? Am I missing something here when I am looking this up because the parts they are putting in and the specs just don't make any sense

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tesla's Auto Pilot is a $10-12K Option. In previous testing the Comma2 came in at # 1, The Cadillac
SuperCruise was second, and the Tesla came in third Place. Tesla has more Engineers and Coders
working on theirs, but they are only working on the Tesla Brand of cars. Comma.ai are supporting
140 models, with more coming, including the RAM. The RAM branch has been submitted to be a
supported model while we work out some final changes to make it better.

Malodave

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Tesla's Auto Pilot is a $10-12K Option. In previous testing the Comma2 came in at # 1, The Cadillac
SuperCruise was second, and the Tesla came in third Place. Tesla has more Engineers and Coders
working on theirs, but they are only working on the Tesla Brand of cars. Comma.ai are supporting
140 models, with more coming, including the RAM. The RAM branch has been submitted to be a
supported model while we work out some final changes to make it better.

Malodave
Previous testing by what independent firm? It's all subjective especially since it's all new tech and changing. I have heard of supercruse and the Teslas and I havnt even heard of Comma.ai or whatever it's called until this thread so it must not be popular in the north east nor would I expect it to work well on most of our highways out here.
Tesla is going to continue to support it and people buy the car knowing they are getting the feature, same with the GM version, it's not tacked on after the fact.
I don't see Ram listed as supported on their website, not sure if that matters but I'm going back to the point of having pointless hardware driving up the price. I wouldn't want to record my driving footage, I could get a cheap dash cam for that, what is the option if I just want something to stear for me on highways with little to no traffic? Spend $2.5k and cross my fingers it works, and will continue to work? Who owns Comma. Ai?

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Previous testing by what independent firm? It's all subjective especially since it's all new tech and changing. I have heard of supercruse and the Teslas and I havnt even heard of Comma.ai or whatever it's called until this thread so it must not be popular in the north east nor would I expect it to work well on most of our highways out here.
Tesla is going to continue to support it and people buy the car knowing they are getting the feature, same with the GM version, it's not tacked on after the fact.
I don't see Ram listed as supported on their website, not sure if that matters but I'm going back to the point of having pointless hardware driving up the price. I wouldn't want to record my driving footage, I could get a cheap dash cam for that, what is the option if I just want something to stear for me on highways with little to no traffic? Spend $2.5k and cross my fingers it works, and will continue to work? Who owns Comma. Ai?
This guy developed and owns it...I think.

bucolic

Reaction score

Someone here correct me if I am wrong but the Super Cruise is a completely different system than Tesla or the Comma.ai.

GM's super cruise was a 5K option and also requires a monthly OnStar subscription (at $400 a year there is 2K in 5 years alone). It uses pre-mapped Lidar data for self-driving and is therefore limited to select divided Highways only. It doesn't work on two lanes (or at least when I researched it on used Cadillacs it didn't).

The Comma.AI looks like it uses cameras and lane markings so it will work on any road with proper lane markings. What it won't do is change lanes or follow a GPS route.

Tesla's FSD (Full self driving) which cost 10K upfront can change lanes to pass slower cars and follow a GPS route and exit and reenter highways.

The three are quite different. With the Comma.ai being closer to Tesla's self-driving mode but not FSD.

For 2K it actually sounds like a pretty good deal and doesn't seem to require any monthly subscriptions as the Super Cruise does.

I am very interested in it and from people on here who have the Comma.AI they all seem to have one thing in common...they love it and can't imagine a car without it.

Here is a nice video, though not in a Ram, showing it in use for an extended time. Pretty nice.

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
Hardware to process and actually support the software. The 2k display (no one wants a ****ty display) includes camera and everything needed to run the software - essentially a mini computer, and same goes for the .nvme storage (fast storage with room for all the data you can see on the github). This all has to be manufactured, shipped, etc, and they also have to cover any associated salaries and cost with company and project (open source doesn't equal free). The cost seems rather fair for the capability, and you have a 30 day money back guarantee. The cost could get cheaper with scale, but if this becomes successful enough proven, it could also become more expensive - all assuming they are not bought out by a larger company.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the idea but the starting price of $2k is too much to get something and hope it works good for me. I just looked at the Denali Supercruse and their coverage map and some highways have it here but a ton don't to the point it wouldn't even be useful to me.
I understand it costs money to develop and manufacture stuff but why does it need a 2k display for me to look at? A 1tb Samsung nvme ssd, wtf? Am I missing something here when I am looking this up because the parts they are putting in and the specs just don't make any sense
You have a choice in the 1Tb for 2500, a 250G for 2200, or a 32G for 2000. That's the price at very little profit. Take it or leave it. I have the 1T cross Country, but I travel long distances at time. The price works for me and I love the product, but if it is too steep for you, then don't buy it. Bitchin won't bring the price down.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Darksteel165 try this on for size. Before you start getting all uppity, investigate yourself.​

Here is Car and Driver's test and comparison:

Also, here is Consumer Report:

Here is TheDrive:

There are more out there, but it is up to each person to read up on it and do a little leg work in order to decide for yourself if it is worth it to "you". If it isn't , then don't buy it. Simple as that. I have made several one day trips in the 6-700 mile range on secondary two lane highways, with NO issues, and rested at the finish. Wouldn't do a long trip without it.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DarkStar, Where in Mass do you live? I can give you a ride in my 2021 Laramie and demonstrate the Comma3 I have installed.
Then you can see for yourself. I use it every day on my work Commute from Rindge, NH through Ashburnham, Ashby, Westford, and Pepperill, Mass to Hollis NH.

Send me a PM and maybe we can set something up.

Malodave

chuck01835

Reaction score
Just took a Boston to Florida road trip ( 3000 miles round-trip) using my comma 2, while pulling a trailer , and it performed extremely well. I probably used it over 60% of the time and it certainly cut down on fatigue. My only concern is that I get too used to it!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is one other benefit to a Comma3. When you pay $5-12K for Supercruize or Tesla's FSD option,
if the car gets totaled, then the expensive option stays with the Car. The Comma device can be moved
to another capable vehicle with maybe a harness change.

Malodave

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The website crashed yesterday so I guess this never sent
You have a choice in the 1Tb for 2500, a 250G for 2200, or a 32G for 2000. That's the price at very little profit. Take it or leave it. I have the 1T cross Country, but I travel long distances at time. The price works for me and I love the product, but if it is too steep for you, then don't buy it. Bitchin won't bring the price down.
No reason to be so feisty but since you bring it up the price difference between 32GB and 1TB is $500.
The actual 1TB drive is $99 directly from Samsung, they clearly list it on their website as an NVME Samsung 980 comma three devkit | comma shop

The 250GB is also an Samsung 980 per their docs, that is $53 for consumers (not OEMs) to buy. That's a 400% markup if they are charging us $500 for a $100 drive. I work in IT and our hardware margin is around 10-18%, that's like if I sold you a $1000 computer for $5000

As I said I wouldn't care about the video as I would just want it to drive so I wouldn't care about an OLED screen and would prefer a cheaper version just like the old one used to be. I read the Comma.AI 2 was only $1000, the Comma.AI 3 starts at $2000 which is DOUBLE the price of the older unit. Am I still able to buy the older unit? does it work the same? In addition it appears it doesn't come with any way to connect so you also need to spend another $200 for a harness? So we are looking at $2200 for the base unit and 2700 for the 1TB unit?
Are we able to move the videos off of the device somehow? I see it claims to use a subscription called "comma prime" is this required?

It also says "The comma three does not ship preloaded with software capable of controlling your car. Open source software can be installed separately." Is there additional software that costs money? or is the open source software it requires freeware?

To be clear I want to like and possibly get this but unlike the other stuff that OEMs make this doesn't exist in my word, I have never seen how it works, not a commercial or online add for the company as a whole. Maybe I just live under a stone, who knows.

Darksteel165 try this on for size. Before you start getting all uppity, investigate yourself.​

Here is Car and Driver's test and comparison:

Also, here is Consumer Report:

Here is TheDrive:

There are more out there, but it is up to each person to read up on it and do a little leg work in order to decide for yourself if it is worth it to "you". If it isn't , then don't buy it. Simple as that. I have made several one day trips in the 6-700 mile range on secondary two lane highways, with NO issues, and rested at the finish. Wouldn't do a long trip without it.
Try this on for size? There's nothing wrong with being cautious especially on a new company. Nowhere did I say it was a bad company, product or anything.
I have been doing some research on the president and the company and I see some concerning things such as when the president of the company canceled the Comma.1 after being reached out from the government.
Would suck if they randomly pulled development again.

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
The website crashed yesterday so I guess this never sent

No reason to be so feisty but since you bring it up the price difference between 32GB and 1TB is $500.
The actual 1TB drive is $99 directly from Samsung, they clearly list it on their website as an NVME Samsung 980 comma three devkit | comma shop

The 250GB is also an Samsung 980 per their docs, that is $53 for consumers (not OEMs) to buy. That's a 400% markup if they are charging us $500 for a $100 drive. I work in IT and our hardware margin is around 10-18%, that's like if I sold you a $1000 computer for $5000

As I said I wouldn't care about the video as I would just want it to drive so I wouldn't care about an OLED screen and would prefer a cheaper version just like the old one used to be. I read the Comma.AI 2 was only $1000, the Comma.AI 3 starts at $2000 which is DOUBLE the price of the older unit. Am I still able to buy the older unit? does it work the same? In addition it appears it doesn't come with any way to connect so you also need to spend another $200 for a harness? So we are looking at $2200 for the base unit and 2700 for the 1TB unit?
Are we able to move the videos off of the device somehow? I see it claims to use a subscription called "comma prime" is this required?

It also says "The comma three does not ship preloaded with software capable of controlling your car. Open source software can be installed separately." Is there additional software that costs money? or is the open source software it requires freeware?

To be clear I want to like and possibly get this but unlike the other stuff that OEMs make this doesn't exist in my word, I have never seen how it works, not a commercial or online add for the company as a whole. Maybe I just live under a stone, who knows.

Try this on for size? There's nothing wrong with being cautious especially on a new company. Nowhere did I say it was a bad company, product or anything.
I have been doing some research on the president and the company and I see some concerning things such as when the president of the company canceled the Comma.1 after being reached out from the government.
Would suck if they randomly pulled development again.

Some valid concerns, with the exception of your comments on the margins. You work in the tech field, so I assume you have some understanding of business. The margins on hardware can't be viewed in a vacuum. You have to consider a companies net profit, which takes into account the whole picture including R&D, benefits, salary, operating cost, etc, etc. Why would you fault this company and not others? Hardware markups/margins are often huge and literally a companies source of profit, example would include Apple, FCA, etc, etc. How is this company supposed to fund itself, let alone be profitable, if it doesn't mark up its hardware? There is a comma prime subscription, but this appears to offer network connectivity and cloud storage, but it doesn't appear to be necessary for the core functionality - thus hardware markup is there main source of revenue.

Other questions/remarks you referenced below (all answers available via the website...)
-No it doesn't appear you can buy Comma.AI 2, but you can trade in Comma.AI 2 to upgrade to 3. This is similar to how a lot of hardware companies function, with Apple being a good example again. No, you can't buy the much cheaper iPhone 6s today, so if you don't like that don't buy an iPhone (insert Samsung Galaxy if you prefer Android).
-The open source software for your car is free
- There is always risk with a start up/new company, and there is also risk with a more firmly established company. Tesla has unilaterally changed the terms of service, functionality, and price of its self driving option multiple times.
- Comma AI is likely both cheaper and riskier in the short run

I don't have a horse in the race here, as I don't even have my RAM yet and I don't have any immediate plans to buy this hardware. I do think it is a ninteresting company and success here would be good for the consumer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
DarkStar, Where in Mass do you live? I can give you a ride in my 2021 Laramie and demonstrate the Comma3 I have installed.
Then you can see for yourself. I use it every day on my work Commute from Rindge, NH through Ashburnham, Ashby, Westford, and Pepperill, Mass to Hollis NH.

Send me a PM and maybe we can set something up.

Malodave
I live in Shrewsbury MA but generally travel west to Springfield, NW to Greenfield, SW to Franklin, and down to RI semi-frequently.
There is one other benefit to a Comma3. When you pay $5-12K for Supercruize or Tesla's FSD option,
if the car gets totaled, then the expensive option stays with the Car. The Comma device can be moved
to another capable vehicle with maybe a harness change.

Malodave
That is true. Interesting that a device can be made that's cheaper, works better, and can stay with you. I'm not so much concerned with the price unless it's considered disposable. I read that the Comma 2 appears to be at end of support and it's only a 2 year old device. I'm the kind of person that keeps my phone for many years until the thing blows up which is why I always buy high end devices. I wonder if the Comma 3 has a longer support cycle then 2 years?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Comma_ai/comments/trjlow
I think ill check around and see if I can find some other stuff besides articles on youtube maybe as their website doesn't provide much information for some reason.

Some valid concerns, with the exception of your comments on the margins. You work in the tech field, so I assume you have some understanding of business. The margins on hardware can't be viewed in a vacuum. You have to consider a companies net profit, which takes into account the whole picture including R&D, benefits, salary, operating cost, etc, etc. Why would you fault this company and not others? Hardware markups/margins are often huge and literally a companies source of profit, example would include Apple, FCA, etc, etc. How is this company supposed to fund itself, let alone be profitable, if it doesn't mark up its hardware? There is a comma prime subscription, but this appears to offer network connectivity and cloud storage, but it doesn't appear to be necessary for the core functionality - thus hardware markup is there main source of revenue.

Other questions/remarks you referenced below (all answers available via the website...)
-No it doesn't appear you can buy Comma.AI 2, but you can trade in Comma.AI 2 to upgrade to 3. This is similar to how a lot of hardware companies function, with Apple being a good example again. No, you can't buy the much cheaper iPhone 6s today, so if you don't like that don't buy an iPhone (insert Samsung Galaxy if you prefer Android).
-The open source software for your car is free
- There is always risk with a start up/new company, and there is also risk with a more firmly established company. Tesla has unilaterally changed the terms of service, functionality, and price of its self driving option multiple times.
- Comma AI is likely both cheaper and riskier in the short run

I don't have a horse in the race here, as I don't even have my RAM yet and I don't have any immediate plans to buy this hardware. I do think it is a ninteresting company and success here would be good for the consumer.
The only reason I bring up the Margins is due to the comment I quoted stating
You have a choice in the 1Tb for 2500, a 250G for 2200, or a 32G for 2000. That's the price at very little profit.
There's nothing wrong with a company marking stuff up they need to make money somehow, but saying little profit is just incorrect.
The unit doesn't come with the ability to drive the car, so you are only paying for hardware right? The software required you need to install yourself and is freeware so I could in theory use my own device? Not sure how that works with existing cameras (does it use my trucks cameras at all? I see articles saying it can change lanes and collide with other vehicles which shouldn't be possible if it's using my trucks cameras.

As far as startup or existing companies you talk about Tesla changing terms of service, and that's a great example. Tesla is a new company, not as new as Comma AI but still new compaired to all the other car manufactures which is both good and bad.

I do hope this company exceeds because it's helping to drive the technology forward either way.

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
I live in Shrewsbury MA but generally travel west to Springfield, NW to Greenfield, SW to Franklin, and down to RI semi-frequently.

That is true. Interesting that a device can be made that's cheaper, works better, and can stay with you. I'm not so much concerned with the price unless it's considered disposable. I read that the Comma 2 appears to be at end of support and it's only a 2 year old device. I'm the kind of person that keeps my phone for many years until the thing blows up which is why I always buy high end devices. I wonder if the Comma 3 has a longer support cycle then 2 years?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Comma_ai/comments/trjlow
I think ill check around and see if I can find some other stuff besides articles on youtube maybe as their website doesn't provide much information for some reason.

The only reason I bring up the Margins is due to the comment I quoted stating

There's nothing wrong with a company marking stuff up they need to make money somehow, but saying little profit is just incorrect.
The unit doesn't come with the ability to drive the car, so you are only paying for hardware right? The software required you need to install yourself and is freeware so I could in theory use my own device? Not sure how that works with existing cameras (does it use my trucks cameras at all? I see articles saying it can change lanes and collide with other vehicles which shouldn't be possible if it's using my trucks cameras.

As far as startup or existing companies you talk about Tesla changing terms of service, and that's a great example. Tesla is a new company, not as new as Comma AI but still new compaired to all the other car manufactures which is both good and bad.

I do hope this company exceeds because it's helping to drive the technology forward either way.
Ahh - my bad if I mistook your response.

I would content that neither you nor I can accurately assess the profitability of that company based on their margins. The best we have to go on is a blog post from almost 3 years ago (A 100x Investment (Part 2) - comma.ai blog) . I guess we could dig deeper and see what they raised in their last series of funding, and how leveraged they are/how much equity in their company they sold for those funds.

Good points on the hardware - are we sure the system has access to the vehicle cameras ? Based on the vehicle compatibility page (comma.ai), the best you can get is the system accessing your vehicles "radar" and combining that data with the three cameras (2 facing out and 1 facing in) builting into the comma.AI hardware. What am I missing?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ahh - my bad if I mistook your response.

I would content that neither you nor I can accurately assess the profitability of that company based on their margins. The best we have to go on is a blog post from almost 3 years ago (A 100x Investment (Part 2) - comma.ai blog) . I guess we could dig deeper and see what they raised in their last series of funding, and how leveraged they are/how much equity in their company they sold for those funds.

Good points on the hardware - are we sure the system has access to the vehicle cameras ? Based on the vehicle compatibility page (comma.ai), the best you can get is the system accessing your vehicles "radar" and combining that data with the three cameras (2 facing out and 1 facing in) builting into the comma.AI hardware. What am I missing?
The articles I read said it can change lanes if you turn on your blinder and "nudge" the wheel.
The articles also say it doesn't look to the left or right so it would just go right into another car if you let it.
Not deal beakers just trying to figure out exactly what's going on. I think this is beta software at best in it's current state. It talks about needing to take over if there is an accident in front of you which makes sense, but on the flip size my trucks speed adaptive cruse control will lock the hell out of the breaks if someone jerks in front of me or slams on the breaks. I'm not sure what systems it is leveraging and what it's doing itself.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me know the next time you head up to Greenfield. We ca meet in Athol or Orange.
I usually have the weekends and every other Monday off. Also evenings after 6pm.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread