5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited 1500 weak Lane Keep Assist

UnclJim

Reaction score
You know my truck has this cool new feature called a steering wheel. When I hold it and pay attention to what the heck I am doing the truck does a great job of staying in the lane or turning and stuff whenever I want it too.

It's a fantastic feature. I am surprised it isn't standard on all vehicles. To me it just seems like a common sense safety feature that no one should be without.
you mean they aren't optional like a directional on a BMW?

majorkrager

Reaction score
that is one of those features that was made for lazy, stupid people who can't drive correctly. If you need a vibration from your steering wheel to warn you that you are traveling out of your lane, you need to stop driving.
When you pay $70,000+ for a truck you expect the tech to work well. When I'm towing 12-15 hours on a typical trip, it would be very convenient to have good lane keep assist. I've been a CDL driver for over 10 years. I'd prefer vacation time doesn't feel like work. Don't knock it till you've tried a good one.

Last edited:

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you pay $70,000+ for a truck you expect the tech to work well. When I'm towing 12-15 hours on a typical trip, it would be very convenient to have good lane keep assist. I've been a CDL driver for over 10 years. I'd prefer vacation time doesn't feel like work. Don't knock it till you've tried a good one.
Don't take my comment to heart. I just believe that feature was made by manufactures to combat lazy people. Just like blind spot assist, was made to warn lazy people that a car is in their blind spot. But I agree, if you have it and like it, you would expect it to work correctly. I hate the feature but love blind spot assist. I don't like lane keep assist because I usually change lanes without using my turn signal and hate the vibration it gives. Plus its weak. To me, it should be a hell of a vibration to make it worthwhile.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, they could definitely have done a better job with this...not sure if it was legal that was worried or what.

Not sure why they have settings on this. High should really take over and move the steering wheel.

Maybe the 2024 model will have it.

jastevenson

Reaction score
The crappy lane assist was understandable when the Ram came out In 2018, at which time it was still competitive with the lane assist in most other vehicles.

But Ram decided not to bother upgrading the tech for 4 years? Not exactly a commitment to excellence.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The crappy lane assist was understandable when the Ram came out In 2018, at which time it was still competitive with the lane assist in most other vehicles.

But Ram decided not to bother upgrading the tech for 4 years? Not exactly a commitment to excellence.

This must be your first Dodge/Ram product....they have never been committed to excellence...is the reason they were bottom of the list in customer satisfaction for so many years.

And their dealerships and also terrible for the most part.

They sell because their design is fantastic and their pricing is super competitive....after that you just hope.

gbledsoe3

Reaction score
that is one of those features that was made for lazy, stupid people who can't drive correctly. If you need a vibration from your steering wheel to warn you that you are traveling out of your lane, you need to stop driving.
To me, as with the EyeSight on my wife's Subaru Outback, it's a helpful feature after hours on the road driving and one may have a blink a little too long -- aka starting to doze off. It's a welcome wake-up call, to change driving position, turn up the radio, open the windows or change drivers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
To me, as with the EyeSight on my wife's Subaru Outback, it's a helpful feature after hours on the road driving and one may have a blink a little too long -- aka starting to doze off. It's a welcome wake-up call, to change driving position, turn up the radio, open the windows or change drivers. Nothing more, nothing less.
'21 Outback Touring owner here. The lane departure warning is hyper sensitive and the automatic lane centering is a joke. Fortunately they are easy to permanently disable. The adaptive cruise control (which is also part of EyeSight) is okay but nowhere near as good as a radar-based system. Eyesight is easily blinded by sun and rain/snow, etc... Exactly at the times when it would be most useful for safety.

I was so glad to be able to order a Backcountry with zero nannies.

bucolic

Reaction score

As others have stated this is lane keep assist and is meant to be an additional safety feature and not meant for hands-free driving.

It's not a Tesla self-driving mode or the Cadillac or Denali supercruise feature. It is simply meant to nudge you back on the road if you accidentally drift over the line. Whether it's from fatigue or negligence like yelling at the kids in the back seat it happens.

Anyone on here that says they have never drifted over the line would make a great politician :)

Airbags, lane keep assist, blind-spot monitoring, rearview cameras, cross path detection, and auto emergency braking are all simply additional safety features that protect us from common driving errors that no one is so perfect (or lucky) that it might not happen to them.

All it takes is one time for that lane keep assist to nudge you when the dog distracts you, the kids pull your collar asking if you're there yet, you're a little more tired than you realize and fade out for a second, or a bee out of nowhere surprises you. You and the family then arrive home safely instead of an ambulance ride.

The great thing about it is if you are a perfect driver and never make mistakes you'll never even know it's turned on!

tdager

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited. It has the weakest lane keep assist I have ever experienced. It is effectively useless. It rarely detects the lane markings and is super weak in correcting. My wife's 21 Hyundai Palisade LKA keeps it centered perfectly in the middle of the lane and is rock solid except during rain or snow. I expect more out of a $70,000 truck!!!
Agreed. My wife's BMW tracks like a train, my truck ping-pongs like a drunk. As a matter of fact I fear getting pulled over stone cold sober by a cop for driving like I am wasted. LOL

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have ACC and LKA, Look into adding a Comma3 to your truck.
We are about to get it approved as a Supported vehicle from Comma.ai.

There is also in the works a Firmware update to get it to steer down to 0MPH.
Right now it is at 32MPH. End to End Navigation and Stop signs/Lights should
be included in the Next release of Open Pilot.

Malodave

Comma RAM Discord Server:

bucolic

Reaction score
If you have ACC and LKA, Look into adding a Comma3 to your truck.
We are about to get it approved as a Supported vehicle from Comma.ai.

There is also in the works a Firmware update to get it to steer down to 0MPH.
Right now it is at 32MPH. End to End Navigation and Stop signs/Lights should
be included in the Next release of Open Pilot.

Malodave

Comma RAM Discord Server:

No that looks interesting! Never knew something like this existed. I signed up and am keeping an eye on it.

Does it currently work on our trucks?

d3sarius

Reaction score
No that looks interesting! Never knew something like this existed. I signed up and am keeping an eye on it.

Just reached a little over 10,000 miles with my comma on my 1500. Just upgraded to a Comma3 recently. Until our trucks are officially supported, it does take some technical know how. But it’s worth the effort.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The latest port seems a slight bit jerky in its steering. The PID needs to be tweaked to get it smoother.
It works the best on highways. I go thru some small towns that it disengages because of speed. So I
am patiently waiting for the Firmware edit to keep it engaged. Currently running RAMPilot v0.8.13
on a Comma 3 in my 2021 Laramie.

Malodave

Last edited:

Mike504

Reaction score
Huh. I just hold the steering wheel, look at the road in front of me and point it forward. Seems to work fine.

I wonder why yours doesn't work that way.
Sarcasm huh? That's pretty sweet, dont see that much on the internet.

trade it and get a Hyundai!
My wife's telluride actually awesome with the self driving. It does everything but change lanes and doesn't bug you that much about keeping hands on the wheel. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you drive a lot sure is nice.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are tech savvy, check out comma.ai. There’s a thread in the forum, ad a few members use it for the Ram. It takes a good level of technical skills, though, to install and maintain for now. But it provides even better results than any commercial vehicle, IMHO.
No tec skills at all. Buy it, buy the harness, install it, download program, and drive. Have had mine for quite a while and does a great job.
Lane sense was never intended to steer for you, only warn you when you go over the lines.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't take my comment to heart. I just believe that feature was made by manufactures to combat lazy people. Just like blind spot assist, was made to warn lazy people that a car is in their blind spot. But I agree, if you have it and like it, you would expect it to work correctly. I hate the feature but love blind spot assist. I don't like lane keep assist because I usually change lanes without using my turn signal and hate the vibration it gives. Plus its weak. To me, it should be a hell of a vibration to make it worthwhile.
All of the tec in our trucks like LKAS, and ACC, and BSA, work as they were designed. Deal with it or get a Tesla.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sarcasm huh? That's pretty sweet, dont see that much on the internet.

My wife's telluride actually awesome with the self driving. It does everything but change lanes and doesn't bug you that much about keeping hands on the wheel. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you drive a lot sure is nice.
You don't see sarcasm much on the internet? Wow! I see it quite a bit.

It's almost as common as seeing people driving down the road messing with the kid in the back seat, digging around for something on the floor or playing around on a forum on their phone rather than holding that round thing in front of them and paying attention to traffic. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread