5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Hybrid

briangraaf58

Reaction score
Am looking at buying a 2021 Ram Laramie with the 5.7 hybrid. My question is how does this hold up any problems when towing a trailer?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Am looking at buying a 2021 Ram Laramie with the 5.7 hybrid. My question is how does this hold up any problems when towing a trailer?
There are hundreds of thousands of them out there. Just like any other vehicle, some have problems, and most don't. The towing capacity is less, than the non Etorque, but not much, something like 500 lbs. Just make sure it has the capacity you need. Towing doesn't effect the system. All the system really does, is assist taking off, because that's when the fuel ratio is richest. The electric motor starts the engine, from the start/stop, and runs until the tires turn 1/2 revolution.

kzielu

Reaction score
It isn't really a true Hybrid (true one - like F150 Powerboost is just about perfect for towing with how much torque it has). It tows fine. There's bazillion of them out there.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's a "mild hybrid". It's not really a hybrid, just has another battery that gets used for stopping the engine when stopped and restarting it when you take your foot off thr brake.
Performance is the exact same as the regular 5.7.

You trade your alternator for a generator, and gain a 48v battery behind your rear seat that costs around $1400 to replace when it eventually dies like all batteries die (can't be driven without the 48v battery) . Has 8 year 80k mile federal emissions warranty in the US on both.

briangraaf58

Reaction score
It's a "mild hybrid". It's not really a hybrid, just has another battery that gets used for stopping the engine when stopped and restarting it when you take your foot off thr brake.
Performance is the exact same as the regular 5.7.

You trade your alternator for a generator, and gain a 48v battery behind your rear seat that costs around $1400 to replace when it eventually dies like all batteries die (can't be driven without the 48v battery) . Has 8 year 80k mile federal emissions warranty in the US on both.
Thank you.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Another question. Say I want to start up my truck on a cold day and let it warm up. Does this work the same also?

The mild hybrid system is called etorque. When equipped with etorque, the truck still uses a traditional starter when starting the truck with the fob or the push button. The etorque belt driven starter/generator restarts the engine only when in stop/start mode. So to answer your question, cold starting is exactly the same as on a non etorque Hemi.

Users who are viewing this thread