5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Eco Diesel - Service Electronic Throttle Control

Gritdiesel

Reaction score
I have 15k miles on a 2021 Ram Eco Diesel. As I was driving today, the engine started to lose power and died. Thankfully I was able to avoid an accident. The ‘Service Electronic Throttle Control’ dash light immediately came on. I tried starting the engine, and it briefly started and began idling really rough, but then died after a few seconds. Now the truck won’t start at all. The starter tries, but it won’t start. Super frustrating. I traded my 2005 Dodge 1500 so that I would have a reliable truck for my business. I’m thinking that was a bad idea.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This could be any number of really bad things. Interested to what the diagnosis it. The best of the bad things could be the tone wheel, the worst would be the need for a new engine

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
quick question...are you using a "Pedal Commander" or other type of aftermarket throttle controller? I had this exact thing happen to me during a cross country trip, pulling a travel trailer. Managed to pull over...shut the truck off for a couple minutes...then re-started ok, and ran ok for about 3 minutes...then acted up again and threw the same message. Pulled over again, then thought...ok "throttle control"...hmmm...maybe PComndr is the cause...got under dash..pulled it out, reconnected oem harness...voila, that was a a year & 1/2 ago...never acted up again. Good luck sir.

AKDiesel

Reaction score
I feel your pain, Grit... I have 41K miles on a 2019 2500 diesel Laramie. Yesterday, I auto-started my truck in work parking lot. Jumped in a couple minutes later and without touching anything, the truck shut off on me. Thought that was a bit weird... Normal started, sat for a couple mins and then the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" message displayed, and the truck shut off.
Now, it turns over but doesn't start.
Saw some other guys on another thread were pulling and re-inserting fuse #53 - tried that, no help. Disconnected batteries for ~2 mins. No help.
Called dealer to get it in - first available date is 25 January. Ugh...
Going to check codes today and see what else I can dig up.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to say this to you, but that is exactly what happens when a fuel pump goes kablooey. Very expensive repair that will be covered under warranty. I hope that's not the case. I'd still argue the 3rd gen is a reliable engine.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So many things it can be. RH timing chain could have left the chat.

AKDiesel

Reaction score
I feel your pain, Grit... I have 41K miles on a 2019 2500 diesel Laramie. Yesterday, I auto-started my truck in work parking lot. Jumped in a couple minutes later and without touching anything, the truck shut off on me. Thought that was a bit weird... Normal started, sat for a couple mins and then the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" message displayed, and the truck shut off.
Now, it turns over but doesn't start.
Saw some other guys on another thread were pulling and re-inserting fuse #53 - tried that, no help. Disconnected batteries for ~2 mins. No help.
Called dealer to get it in - first available date is 25 January. Ugh...
Going to check codes today and see what else I can dig up.
Dealership just diagnosed as HPFP failure. Entire fuel delivery system (essentially) requires replacement - their words, not mine.
2 weeks for parts availability…

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dealership just diagnosed as HPFP failure. Entire fuel delivery system (essentially) requires replacement - their words, not mine.
2 weeks for parts availability…
Hopefully your dealer is playing ball on warranty...some like to blame contaminated fuel despite this being a well known CP4 issue. And I hope they're providing a loaner!!

AKDiesel

Reaction score
Hopefully your dealer is playing ball on warranty...some like to blame contaminated fuel despite this being a well known CP4 issue. And I hope they're providing a loaner!!
100% covered due to the recall (at least that's my understanding so far).

A loaner will be today's discussion, and my position will be a TRUCK loaner... I didn't buy a 2500 diesel just to drive back-forth to work.

Krstnwatts

Reaction score
I have 15k miles on a 2021 Ram Eco Diesel. As I was driving today, the engine started to lose power and died. Thankfully I was able to avoid an accident. The ‘Service Electronic Throttle Control’ dash light immediately came on. I tried starting the engine, and it briefly started and began idling really rough, but then died after a few seconds. Now the truck won’t start at all. The starter tries, but it won’t start. Super frustrating. I traded my 2005 Dodge 1500 so that I would have a reliable truck for my business. I’m thinking that was a bad idea.
I just had the exact same thing happen a few minutes ago. It started again on the third try, but now I’m afraid to drive it! 2021 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 17K miles on it. I pull my horse trailer and horse with this truck and if it had lost power like that and shut off on the highway, or somewhere I couldn’t pull off, it could be a nightmare. Can’t get in to the dealer until Mid July they say.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
It’s assuring knowing the recall is issued but no parts available for anyone. Can anyone chime in and say their HPFP has been replaced? Or know of someone? Pretty annoying knowing the inevitable may be coming. I thought we were supposed to have parts by now.

Edit: I just rolled over 28k miles and I have noticed the hesitation two times. The hesitation that went away with the Y81 recall…. Wonder if it’s an onset sign that I’m next.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Zero ETA on new pumps. They are replacing with the same CP4 until the new redesign is done. That’s as of last week.
Estimated recall/updated part availability is 3rd quarter.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As of last week - zero eta on a new pump and they are replacing the current one with same one if it fails - as per my dealer.

PrdCdn

Reaction score
🍿this scares me.. my 2022 just ran past 16,000 km

vegaskeith

Reaction score
I just had the exact same thing happen a few minutes ago. It started again on the third try, but now I’m afraid to drive it! 2021 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 17K miles on it. I pull my horse trailer and horse with this truck and if it had lost power like that and shut off on the highway, or somewhere I couldn’t pull off, it could be a nightmare. Can’t get in to the dealer until Mid July they say.
My 2020 has had this issue come out many times, and now third time at dealer. They have had my truck for one month!!!! Waiting on a part. RAM CARE is almost worthless, the assigned agent NEVER calls me back, I have spent $ on rentals, and get nothing but BS from them although I have the extended warranty. About to lemon law it for a truck that is perfect aside from this issue. It went to limp mode three times while towing uphill, I nearly lost my life one time. RAM CARE listen!

Vivrosh

Reaction score
The same happened to me last week dealer just texted me it starter failed, and they order a new starter I am still confused while on road it should not do that

tcassavaugth

Reaction score
I've had problems with my 2022 Echo-diesel. it was bucking, especially taking off and accelerating. Only for a second or so, 2 or 3 times. They couldn't replicate it so i took the mechanic for a ride.. within a quarter mile it did it twice. he just looked at me and said "Oh MY, that isn't good". he did some tests and thought it was the throttle body, reprogramed it and i took it out of the lot and a couple of hundred yards down the road, it did it again, Throttle body readings were - 20 and -18 he said. They opened a Star case on it. They had it all week. RAM wants him to test another vehicle with the same engine and see what the throttle body readings are on that truck. he was supposed to check the other truck, in another dealers lot today. I should know Monday what they want to do. i brought the truck home for the weekend. hope they figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread