5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 1500 bighorn cannot fill gas tank

rbiebr

Reaction score
Fuel range showed 79 miles. Pump shut off after only 8 gals. (Should have taken about 20 gals.) I now have gas all the way up the fill tube to the flapper. Fuel gauge shows a little less than a half tank. The fuel range now jumps around between 175-205. IS the fuel range and/or the fuel gauge accurate? AS it is now I can't add any more fuel untill the gas goes into the tank. Any ideas what the issue is here. This is a 2021 1500 Bighorn with 26,000 miles. I have seen with a google search of similar issues. Anyone have the same problem and can offer some assistance on cause and fix for this problem

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Fuel range showed 79 miles. Pump shut off after only 8 gals. (Should have taken about 20 gals.) I now have gas all the way up the fill tube to the flapper. Fuel gauge shows a little less than a half tank. The fuel range now jumps around between 175-205. IS the fuel range and/or the fuel gauge accurate? AS it is now I can't add any more fuel untill the gas goes into the tank. Any ideas what the issue is here. This is a 2021 1500 Bighorn with 26,000 miles. I have seen with a google search of similar issues. Anyone have the same problem and can offer some assistance on cause and fix for this problem
There is an issue with the vent tube. It gets fuel in it and won't drain the fuel from the tube properly. I'm not sure if that is your issue or not. Some fixed it by removing the filler neck and draining the fuel from the vent tube. Then do not go past one click after it is full. People are saying that is when it fills the vent tube. I also believe there is a new design on the filler neck that the dealer or you can install.

6of36

Reaction score
Gauge is probably accurate. If you keep pumping after the initial shut off, on a regular basis, you probably screwed up the vent system.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Gauge is probably accurate. If you keep pumping after the initial shut off, on a regular basis, you probably screwed up the vent system.
I hate watching "TFLT" mpg comparisons hitting three clicks after it stops.

rbiebr

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I do not continue to fill after initial shut off. Only this last time as i was expecting a lot more fuel to go into the tank. tried adding more fuel thinking nozzle defective or just too sensative

rbiebr

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I do not trying adding more fuel after initial click. Only this time as I was expecting a lot more gas to go in. Thinking defective or over sensative pump nozzle.

U

User_3336

Thank you for your response. I do not trying adding more fuel after initial click. Only this time as I was expecting a lot more gas to go in. Thinking defective or over sensative pump nozzle.
Wirerat said:

Curious, @rbiebr do you know what "TFLT" is? ? ? ?

Wirerat

Reaction score
Wirerat said:

Curious, @rbiebr do you know what "TFLT" is? ? ? ?
My bad. "The Fast Lane Truck" you tube channel. Lots of videos comparing trucks including mpg testing. They always over fill.

Good. I was just replying to the suggestion by 6of36.

U

User_3336

My bad. "The Fast Lane Truck" you tube channel. Lots of videos comparing trucks including mpg testing. They always over fill.

Good. I was just replying to the suggestion by 6of36.
I know what TFLT is, but I am not sure @rbiebr does.

6of36

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I do not continue to fill after initial shut off. Only this last time as i was expecting a lot more fuel to go into the tank. tried adding more fuel thinking nozzle defective or just too sensative
In that case, emissions problem.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are many threads here on the gas fill issue. Some people including me had to have the tank replaced because Ram did a re-design, they were having so many issues with it.

rbiebr

Reaction score
I am now down to 1/4 tank of gas. However, fill tube is still full of gas. With gas in fill tube I'm sure that I wont be able to add any more full. (But I haven't tried) Truck goes in to dealer this Friday.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I am now down to 1/4 tank of gas. However, fill tube is still full of gas. With gas in fill tube I'm sure that I wont be able to add any more full. (But I haven't tried) Truck goes in to dealer this Friday.
You should be able to add fuel. One trick is to pull the nozzle out as far as you can and then start filling. But don't go too fast or fill too much because it might not shutoff and come out at you.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should be able to add fuel. One trick is to pull the nozzle out as far as you can and then start filling. But don't go too fast or fill too much because it might not shutoff and come out at you.
If you have the bad tank no tricks work. It just keeps clicking off and is pretty impossible to fill.

6of36

Reaction score
I believe there are 2 flaps in the filler. One at the top, where the restrictor is, that keeps larger fuel nozzles to be put in, and a second one, that is the reason they can be cap less. It's for emissions, stopping the fumes. That flap probably isn't working right, and the filler neck needs to be replaced. It is possible if you didn't push the nozzle in far enough, it just didn't open, when filling. Try going to a different station, and making sure the nozzle goes all the way in. I've seen some members saying their Costco changed nozzles, and they can't fill properly.

23RAM

Reaction score
I believe there are 2 flaps in the filler.
Yes there are two flapper doors in the neck.
It is possible if you didn't push the nozzle in far enough, it just didn't open, when filling. Try going to a different station, and making sure the nozzle goes all the way in. I've seen some members saying their Costco changed nozzles, and they can't fill properly.
Not Costco, but I have a station nearby that has nozzles that are more curved than most so it won't reach down to open the second flapper. I don't use that station anymore.

rbiebr

Reaction score
I believe there are 2 flaps in the filler. One at the top, where the restrictor is, that keeps larger fuel nozzles to be put in, and a second one, that is the reason they can be cap less. It's for emissions, stopping the fumes. That flap probably isn't working right, and the filler neck needs to be replaced. It is possible if you didn't push the nozzle in far enough, it just didn't open, when filling. Try going to a different station, and making sure the nozzle goes all the way in. I've seen some members saying their Costco changed nozzles, and they can't fill properly.
I'm sure I had the nozzle in far enough to reach second flapper, as it initally took 8 gallons. As I said in original post I was expecting it to take about 20 gallons. In an attempt to try to fill I probably did back the nozzle out and tried adding more fuel if there is a second flapper I may not have been in far enough to open the second flapper .
Maybe I created the problem,and/or there is no problem It is scheduled to go to the dealer on Friday.

I have the truck since May 2021 and have added gas many times with no problems. Maybe on this filling I just has a senior moment??
I'll keep updated on what the dealer has to say

Users who are viewing this thread