5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 V8 Mileage big drop

Jowilly66

Reaction score
I know sometimes when colder, mileage drops a little bit. I'm in wisconsin, but still been in the 30's. any idea why my mileage has dropped from around 17-20mpg down to about 13.5-15? I use 2wd. It seemed to happen after i did use 4wd Auto a couple weeks ago in the snow. However, filled up since then and reset mileage. Still around 13.5mpg

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know sometimes when colder, mileage drops a little bit. I'm in wisconsin, but still been in the 30's. any idea why my mileage has dropped from around 17-20mpg down to about 13.5-15? I use 2wd. It seemed to happen after i did use 4wd Auto a couple weeks ago in the snow. However, filled up since then and reset mileage. Still around 13.5mpg

Are you letting her sit and warm up? Even if I let mine warm up for 10-15 minutes the computer cripples my mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many miles on it? Any maintenance been don't to it recently? What's your axle ratio? Etorque? Non Etorque? What gas are you using? Details help us to help you. 😊

Jowilly66

Reaction score
How many miles on it? Any maintenance been don't to it recently? What's your axle ratio? Etorque? Non Etorque? What gas are you using? Details help us to help you. 😊
2000 miles, none done yet as wanted to get opinion first. Non-etorque. Using 87 gas, which i had been. Axle is the one that is less tourqy, i dont have tow package

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2000 miles, none done yet as wanted to get opinion first. Non-etorque. Using 87 gas, which i had been. Axle is the one that is less tourqy, i dont have tow package
Ok there are many factors that could attribute to this lack of mpg. Before looking solely at the truck...let's rule out the conditions.
Driving against wind?
Hard accelerating, speed on highway? Is this your combined or city mileage that you have posted?
If you're driving below 70mph, not against excessive wind with a 3.21 axle ratio...then I'd say you're at the point where the engine is getting broken in. Check the oil...make sure it isn't contaminated as well.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My experience is cold weather and winter gas my mpg suffers significantly. Are there a lot of short trips that involve cold starts. Are you relying on the Ram mpg calculator? The Ram calculator usually reflects your recent mpg and not necessarily the total mpg traveled.

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
My next door neighbor has a 2500 with the 6.4, at 4,000 miles his engine came alive . Said the preformance picked up drastically and gas mileage increased also. My 1500 only has 2,000 miles ,so I am still waiting on the breaking period to end .Now at 75 mph on interstate I get 18.3 also I have 3.92 gears.

Zig10

Reaction score
I'm down 2 MPG since the temps dropped out. Engine management will contribute to part of that working to keep the engine at temp. Warming up the truck even for 5 minutes will take 0.5 - 1 MPG off for me. Denser air, lower air pressure in the tires, etc doesn't help.

Happens every year, but I will agree it is exaggerated in this vehicle since the MPG is down to begin with.

Jowilly66

Reaction score
Are you letting her sit and warm up? Even if I let mine warm up for 10-15 minutes the computer cripples my mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do sometimes, but when i do i still use current mpg calculations. Just a cponsistent 13-15
Will try a longer roadtrip
My next door neighbor has a 2500 with the 6.4, at 4,000 miles his engine came alive . Said the preformance picked up drastically and gas mileage increased also. My 1500 only has 2,000 miles ,so I am still waiting on the breaking period to end .Now at 75 mph on interstate I get 18.3 also I have 3.92 gears.
Thanks. I was getting 18-20 up till about 1,500 miles or so. I will give it time

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Mine dropped drastically this year again. Happens a bit sudden. Now it's 13.5-14 average. During spring/summer months I was back up to 17 average city/highway. Etorque 3.92

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Mine has done same thing. Only 7000 miles. Dropped down to 13.4 last two weeks

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My MPG has gone from 16 down to 13 with the cold temps. I am in Upstate NY and it has been frigid. I use 89 Octane, 3.92 non e-torque, 3500K miles. My tire pressure has dropped as well which is probably contributing. I am thankful for this post as I was starting to think the truck was running off my hubby's driving habits...he gets it once a week for a few hours. LOL!

PM-Performance

Reaction score
While mine is brand new, I will agree with the others here and say mine has been showing 13.5 or so with the etq and 22's with 392's

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How about next time at the pump,, put some 91 premium gas to see if thats the issue with the winter blend.

Higher octane might give the engine a little more pep during the winter, but like other suggested, winter blend does play havoc with mpg.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone has probably switched to winter blend gas at this point. That's the root cause of the drop. Add in a thirsty engine for acceleration and that's the result.
Yea, highway driving has gone down to 22mpg for me....nothing to complain about, I know. But I got used to my 24-25mpg lol

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully you don’t have the vibration, front end and tire and rim issues like I’ve had over the past year. Before my rack and pinion was replaced mine dropped 4-5 mpg that was in the summer. So glad ram bought mine back! My 2021 is just waiting at my local dealer, just waiting on the final paper work from ram before I can take it home. The 19 Ram now has 11,300 miles and has never gone down the road straight. Tires have been balance 7 times, completely out of balance a few hundred miles after a road force balance every time!

Redtrucks

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old Big Horn and live in ND. Even though it has been unseasonably warm I have been using auto start lately and my mileage has gone from the upper teens to the lower teens. Using 87 octane gas also. Same mileage drop with all my vehicles that I own. Just waiting for a month of below 0 temperatures.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is almost certainly the switch to winter gas and lower temps. The stations switch based on time of year and avg temps - not actual temps. I've always seen a drop of several mpgs with every car I've owned once the stations switch since the winter blend contains less energy.

Users who are viewing this thread