5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 V8 Mileage big drop

Vilas15

Reaction score
I'm down 2 MPG since the temps dropped out. Engine management will contribute to part of that working to keep the engine at temp. Warming up the truck even for 5 minutes will take 0.5 - 1 MPG off for me. Denser air, lower air pressure in the tires, etc doesn't help.

Happens every year, but I will agree it is exaggerated in this vehicle since the MPG is down to begin with.
Same experience here. Was doing 21 on my commute in August when I bought new (Wisconsin). Now getting 19 and if I let it warm up for 5 or 10 minutes it will drop to 18.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Quick review of 2 years and 21,000 miles: winter months only time I go under 12 mpg. That involves a lot of short trips and cold starts. In addition I am lucky when I go more than a 1/4 mile without stopping on my local streets. Not complaining, my 2001 Dodge 1500 V8 gets 8-9 locally.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My MPG has gone from 16 down to 13 with the cold temps. I am in Upstate NY and it has been frigid. I use 89 Octane, 3.92 non e-torque, 3500K miles. My tire pressure has dropped as well which is probably contributing. I am thankful for this post as I was starting to think the truck was running off my hubby's driving habits...he gets it once a week for a few hours. LOL!
The drop in tire pressures in the cold, often overlooked, certainly does affect mpg’s. Back in the day the antiquated engine computers would enrichen the mixture in the winter to the point that mileage would drop by 20% at least.
From popularmechanics.com: “...When your engine is cold, gasoline is less likely to evaporate and create the correct ratio of air and vaporized fuel for combustion. Engines with electronic fuel injection have sensors that compensate for the cold by pumping more gasoline into the mixture. The engine continues to run rich in this way until it heats up to about 40 degrees Fahrenheit.”

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
I contribute it to getting a big gas guzzling beast. But I liked the 17 mph better

Users who are viewing this thread