5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Uconnect Old Technology!

NYBSTONE

Reaction score
You had me all freaking out because I just took an Android V10 update on my phone yesterday morning. It's a Motorola G7 Play that I bought in 2019. Just went out to my truck to test it out and boy was a surprised. Not only does it work, it works better. Before the update, I had to log into the phone to get android auto to come up once I plugged it in. Now it fires right up even when the phone is asleep. It's also faster and more responsive to my voice commands.

There might be some incompatibilities out there with some phones/mfgs, but i've certainly proven it's not incompatible with V10 alone. I'm happy as a pig in ****.
Good news, and I never said v10 will not work, as my phone does work, and does most of the things you would expect it to.... The point I am making is they publish support only to v9 (v11 is quickly on it's way btw). They should support at least the OS that all the carriers are forcing us to install on our phones.

NYBSTONE

Reaction score
If you think the uconnect is outdated, you should go sit in a Toyota or a Nissan...
No question, it is more capable, in fact, the entire truck is far more capable than anything in it's class (my opinion of course). This is my first brand new full size pickup truck. I have owned lots of other vehicles and the tech is way ahead of what is in any pickup truck I have been in. Uconnect is close, and the point I am trying to make is that these are no brainers, these are not even tough issues to solve. this is either lazy, or incompetence.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Good news, and I never said v10 will not work, as my phone does work, and does most of the things you would expect it to.... The point I am making is they publish support only to v9 (v11 is quickly on it's way btw). They should support at least the OS that all the carriers are forcing us to install on our phones.

Why and How?

I certainly hope they will, but being an IT guy, I know that can only go so far. Eventually it's impossible to remain backwards compatible. Maybe they could test and update their documentation....but there's nothing they can actually do to remain compatible with a 3rd party vendor indefinitely.

Take Google Earth as an example. We had an Audi Q7 that came with the really nice google earth view in the virtual ****pit (digital gauge cluster). Less than 6 months after we bought the car it was announced that it would stop working within a year. The year model after ours was going to support the "New" google earth. Google went and made Google Earth better and thus required faster hardware. The Audi we had simply didn't have the brains to handle it. We were very upset, but also knew there was nothing we could do about it. Thankfully we were able to lemon law it and it was no longer an issue.

There's being hopeful and then there's being unrealistic. I'm all for being hopeful.

I'm sure nothing I say will be satisfactory as most forum discussions are just mud slinging and arguments. This is just my understanding of the issue and the truth of the matter. But truth and facts rarely matter when folks are just looking for validation. Good luck to you and I hope you find what you are looking for.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this is either lazy, or incompetence.
Or what their market research reported. I'm not suggesting that I wouldn't want every cool feature ever invented but in business they have to preform a cost/benefit analysis for this stuff and apparently this was the result. There are lots of issues with the 12" related to what it currently is supposed to support and I'd prefer that they spend some money on that stuff first.

NYBSTONE

Reaction score
  • Only supports Android v9, v10 was released 9/2019
Typically a manufacturer only states support for the version they tested with. If newer versions of Android, lets say for arguments sake, Android 11 breaks the phone-Uconnect interface then Uconnect will find the issue, write a patch and push an OTA update. This is industry standard.
  • Only supports flash drives up to 64GB, formatted FAT32, this is out dated by 5 years
Again, typically a manufacturer only states support for the version they tested with. Apparently that was 64g. I havent tested it yet but the USB will likely support at least 500gb if not 1TB. It has more to do with the maximum capacity of the standard. Have you verified that your flash memory is genuine and not counterfeit?

As far as FAT32, that too is pretty standard for the industry. How does that limit your use?
  • Supports mp3 only, again, 5 years ago
I don't doubt you but I'll test some other formats, I've only had the 12" Uconnect for 3 weeks.

• No browsing over Bluetooth, that's AVCRP v1.3 again from 2015
Browse what, the Uconnect Disk? Why would any OEM allow that? I haven't tried it yet but can you not see Artists and albums and songs on your flash media?

• Will not allow you to use vehicle GPS when using Android Auto.
So write them an email with a feature request, if they get enough people requesting that they may implement it.
you should try contacting Mopar with suggestions..
Or what their market research reported. I'm not suggesting that I wouldn't want every cool feature ever invented but in business they have to preform a cost/benefit analysis for this stuff and apparently this was the result. There are lots of issues with the 12" related to what it currently is supposed to support and I'd prefer that they spend some money on that stuff first.
HI bill. what is your short list of things that should work or work better? some of them may be addressed by supporting current devices. I see most here are only concerned with , it works... that's OK, but you can trust if someone has an issue with there Uconnect, and runs Android v10, Mopar could tell you to pound sand - we only support v9. this is unacceptable being the large majority of Android phones are with a carrier that forces them to run current code versions. Beyond that, the systems does not do what I say 'works' and want it to. I love my truck, but no one should say the Uconnect is current, much less advanced technology.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you should try contacting Mopar with suggestions..

HI bill. what is your short list of things that should work or work better? some of them may be addressed by supporting current devices. I see most here are only concerned with , it works... that's OK, but you can trust if someone has an issue with there Uconnect, and runs Android v10, Mopar could tell you to pound sand - we only support v9. this is unacceptable being the large majority of Android phones are with a carrier that forces them to run current code versions. Beyond that, the systems does not do what I say 'works' and want it to. I love my truck, but no one should say the Uconnect is current, much less advanced technology.
Vehicle Health Report
Send and Go more reliable (might be the Uconnect servers)
Tune Start. When disabled it doesn't disable it in your Artist channels.
Weather map update
Free flow speech to text messages without the need for Android Auto
Ability to set the default Nav, wither Uconnect or phone.
and more, but I gotta pack for camping.

I've had Uconnect for 6 years with phone versions from Android 7 through 10 and Samsung and Moto and have not run into any phone related problems. As a matter of fact I wish Uconnect did not require a phone at all or at least was Wireless.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have a 128GB music thumb drive that I use. No issues btw.

Agree that the system is not the latest & greatest, and that they should be putting uconnect5 units on the 2021s.
Other than not having wireless CarPlay built-in, and screen should be higher res, for the most part, it works w/o issues.

Looks like we'll have to wait for the 2022s to see the new units.

RJS

Reaction score
Just for the record, I have Android 11 on my Pixel 3A and it works just fine on my 19 Laramie 12". I can use Google maps on the top 1/2 and play Amazon HD Music on the bottom half. Music quality remains excellent. The phone interface works like it did with 10 last week. I haven't had the time to go through all the features so there may be differences but so far so good.

The one thing I don't like is the inability to scroll through all the music at one time but I think that's an Android thing and it's no different than with 9 or 10.

While it's not a 512, I have a Sandisk 128 g 3.0 mini USB drive formatted in NTSF that uses FLAC files and plays them just fine.

Last edited:

Rhombus

Reaction score
I worked with all the majors and their vendors back in the early days on Infotainment. (the modern gear, not the company) They have to lock in a support level at some point in time, based on what they tested with. They can’t magically support a new device. This is true for any technology. Computer manufacturers qualify specific component vendors by model. They don’t suddenly throw in a new WiFi vendor, for instance, in a laptop model it wasn’t tested in. I just threw in a WiFi 6 adapter into my laptop. Works great, but not supported by the mfg because it wasn’t qualified in the initial builds. And uconnect doesn’t support Flac files. they made a decision on which formats to support, and Flac didn’t make it.

NYBSTONE

Reaction score
Vehicle Health Report
Send and Go more reliable (might be the Uconnect servers)
Tune Start. When disabled it doesn't disable it in your Artist channels.
Weather map update
Free flow speech to text messages without the need for Android Auto
Ability to set the default Nav, wither Uconnect or phone.
and more, but I gotta pack for camping.

I've had Uconnect for 6 years with phone versions from Android 7 through 10 and Samsung and Moto and have not run into any phone related problems. As a matter of fact I wish Uconnect did not require a phone at all or at least was Wireless.
We have some of the same wants, and if Uconnect supported the current or even just a newer version of AVRCP (1.6 is current, 1.4 or higher gives you wireless interaction, not just audio) you would get a lot more of what you want. The idea is, if they support the latest, or even N-1 technology, it would open up a new world of capability, and simplicity.

NYBSTONE

Reaction score
We have some of the same wants, and if Uconnect supported the current or even just a newer version of AVRCP (1.6 is current, 1.4 or higher gives you wireless interaction, not just audio) you would get a lot more of what you want. The idea is, if they support the latest, or even N-1 technology, it would open up a new world of capability, and simplicity.
And have a safe trip!

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
straight to the points:

• Only supports Android v9, v10 was released 9/2019
  • Only supports flash drives up to 64GB, formatted FAT32, this is out dated by 5 years
  • Supports mp3 only, again, 5 years ago
  • No browsing over Bluetooth, that's AVCRP v1.3 again from 2015
  • Will not allow you to use vehicle GPS when using Android Auto.
These are an embarrassment for a seemingly tech forward offering with a 12 inch screen. If high tech is a must have, may want to keep shopping.

Sounds like you bought a year to early(if they implement it in the 2021 truck). Uconnect V.5 should solve a ton of issues we all are dealing with. Now if they’d just do away with the annual/monthly cost of using the Uconnect app ($250ish a year) and go free like Ford and others it would be almost perfect.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
'works fine' is not the point. please share your recipe (brands models etc.) for you 512 solution - have have tried more than one and it does not see all the content, every time. I would also like to know the other formats, as Uconnect themselves says they only support MP3. you can USE the trucks Nav, but you can not split screen it while using Android Auto.
Bla Bla Bla... all I know is mine works "fine"... which means it works period. Because it either does or it doesnt. And UConnect says it supports other formats, in fact if you would actually poke around on the forum a bit you will find threads with more information dealing with your issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you bought a year to early(if they implement it in the 2021 truck). Uconnect V.5 should solve a ton of issues we all are dealing with. Now if they’d just do away with the annual/monthly cost of using the Uconnect app ($250ish a year) and go free like Ford and others it would be almost perfect.
You have to pay for the GM version after only a 3-month trial. At least we get a year

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw an article about Android 11 causing issues with playing music through bluetooth. But Android 11 does "unlock" android auto through bluetooth

RJS

Reaction score
Just saw an article about Android 11 causing issues with playing music through bluetooth. But Android 11 does "unlock" android auto through bluetooth
WHOA!! Hey, I almost let this one slip by. I just took my A-11 Pixel 3A out to the 19 Ram and it will connect AA through bluetooth but I can't get Google maps to display on the screen just the sound. Any chance you could recall the source of the article? Google seems to be failing me in this search.

The limited amount of music I tried seemed to play OK, though.

UPDATE: Took a while but I think this is it.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
WHOA!! Hey, I almost let this one slip by. I just took my A-11 Pixel 3A out to the 19 Ram and it will connect AA through bluetooth but I can't get Google maps to display on the screen just the sound. Any chance you could recall the source of the article? Google seems to be failing me in this search.

The limited amount of music I tried seemed to play OK, though.

UPDATE: Took a while but I think this is it.
It was an article that popped up on the news feed when you swioe to the right on your pixel. I have a Pixel 3

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reading this thread reminded me of when I bought my first Rebel in mid-2015... had some things I "assumed" would be like the Starship Enterprise and started complaining about this and that... it was my first "new" truck in 20 years, I had inflated expectations but soon realized after a few visits to competitors lots that my Rebel was way ahead of the competition. It was my own ego or imagination or a combination that had me believing my dream truck was subpar. Unless you're 100% sure of something, or have done all the due diligence there is to do, avoid a forum like this, where you are bound to be schooled by people that know more than you think you do.

Nothing wrong with expectations, but have a look at your neighbors Chevy before you lemon law your Ram because it's specs are out of date.

Like my grandpa used to say, Be happy with what you got, because its better than nothing.

My 2 cents

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Reading this thread reminded me of when I bought my first Rebel in mid-2015... had some things I "assumed" would be like the Starship Enterprise and started complaining about this and that... it was my first "new" truck in 20 years, I had inflated expectations but soon realized after a few visits to competitors lots that my Rebel was way ahead of the competition. It was my own ego or imagination or a combination that had me believing my dream truck was subpar. Unless you're 100% sure of something, or have done all the due diligence there is to do, avoid a forum like this, where you are bound to be schooled by people that know more than you think you do.

Nothing wrong with expectations, but have a look at your neighbors Chevy before you lemon law your Ram because it's specs are out of date.

Like my grandpa used to say, Be happy with what you got, because its better than nothing.

My 2 cents
Can't say I've seen anyone mention anything about lemon law because the uconnect doesn't do everything it could possibly be capable of

Users who are viewing this thread