5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rebel Towing Capacity

BH1

Reaction score
Proud owner of a 2020 Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi 4x4. Love it! We got every option, save for the air suspension.

I was looking in the door jamb for the towing numbers, but I’m not seeing it. I’ve seen the 2020 Ram towing chart and it appears that every 5.7, with 3.92 axle, ratio tows 11K+ lbs. So, am I correct that the V8 Rebel tows 11K lbs?

Konrad

Reaction score
Proud owner of a 2020 Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi 4x4. Love it! We got every option, save for the air suspension.

I was looking in the door jamb for the towing numbers, but I’m not seeing it. I’ve seen the 2020 Ram towing chart and it appears that every 5.7, with 3.92 axle, ratio tows 11K+ lbs. So, am I correct that the V8 Rebel tows 11K lbs?

In theory, yes (I believe it's 11290) but I wouldn't get too enthusiastic about it. Like with all half-ton trucks this is more marketing thing than the real world number. Reason? You'll "run out" of truck's payload way before you reach that 11k+ trailer weight. There's no towing numbers on your door sticker, but there's payload / GVWR there, individual for each and every truck (depends on model, options etc). Now take into consideration that a typical trailer has tongue weight of about 12-15% of it's total, so, let's say 1400lbs of tongue weight with 11k trailer + 70-100lbs for a good weight distribution hitch ( you'll need one for such a heavy trailer). Even if you had the Tradesman with 1840# of payload, that leaves you around 340lbs for you, family, equipment and stuff. Not too much, and even if you meet that limit somehow, you're still driving a truck loaded to its limit.

Something to consider when thinking of towing / trailering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BH1

Reaction score
In theory, yes (I believe it's 11290) but I wouldn't get too enthusiastic about it. Like with all half-ton trucks this is more marketing thing than the real world number. Reason? You'll "run out" of truck's payload way before you reach that 11k+ trailer weight. There's no towing numbers on your door sticker, but there's payload / GVWR there, individual for each and every truck (depends on model, options etc). Now take into consideration that a typical trailer has tongue weight of about 12-15% of it's total, so, let's say 1400lbs of tongue weight with 11k trailer + 70-100lbs for a good weight distribution hitch ( you'll need one for such a heavy trailer). Even if you had the Tradesman with 1840# of payload, that leaves you around 340lbs for you, family, equipment and stuff. Not too much, and even if you meet that limit somehow, you're still driving a truck loaded to its limit.

Something to consider when thinking of towing / trailering.

Thanks Konrad. I doubt I’ll ever need to tow near that much. It was more of a confirmation.
We mainly tow our boat, and with trailer, it’s about 5,500lbs. That said, we’d like to get a bigger boat in the future, but that’d only add maybe another 2K lbs.

Konrad

Reaction score
Thanks Konrad. I doubt I’ll ever need to tow near that much. It was more of a confirmation.
We mainly tow our boat, and with trailer, it’s about 5,500lbs. That said, we’d like to get a bigger boat in the future, but that’d only add maybe another 2K lbs.

That sounds quite reasonable and I'm sure it's gonna be quite a comfortable and pleasant towing. I'm just always trying to warn people about that marketing ploy with skyhigh towing capacity in half ton truck, which shouldn't be allowed IMHO. Happy towing!

Tagaru

Reaction score

BH1: could you share your specific rebel's payload capacity? thanks!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is really simple. The issue comes that every truck is going to have different payload and max tow numbers.

Payload is GVWR minus Base weight.

Max tow...if you have more than 300 lbs of passenger. If you plan to haul anything else...even just a flashlight. It will never be achieved. It is a silly number that needs not even be thought of.

GCWR determines what the max is you can tow.

Fortunately all Rebels have 3.92. So we only need to discuss one GCWR.

GVWR will be 7100. GCWR will be 17000.

Now, I know the Ecodiesel gets 7200 for 2020. And if you have 2wd it will be 6900.

So. Now if you have your truck, look at the payload on the door.

As @2019REBEL said his is 1478.

So we will use his truck.

7100 minus 1478 is a base weight of 5622.

So his truck weighs 5622 pounds with no passengers or cargo and this is with a full tank of gas.

So, 17000 minus 5622 is 11378.

11378 is the total you can haul/tow. The truck has to stay under 7100 lbs with passengers, cargo, hitch, and tongue weight.

With the 11378 number...your max tow then becomes how little you load the truck.

Make sense. Very easy. 2 numbers are a constant...GCWR 17000 and GVWR 7100.

Payload and tow rating change by the individual.

CAT scale trip. Load your truck and head here. That will give you your specific weight. Then stay under 17000 with trailer and tongue weights. Very easy.

Each truck is different. Each owner/family is different.

BH1

Reaction score
This is really simple. The issue comes that every truck is going to have different payload and max tow numbers.

Payload is GVWR minus Base weight.

Max tow...if you have more than 300 lbs of passenger. If you plan to haul anything else...even just a flashlight. It will never be achieved. It is a silly number that needs not even be thought of.

GCWR determines what the max is you can tow.

Fortunately all Rebels have 3.92. So we only need to discuss one GCWR.

GVWR will be 7100. GCWR will be 17000.

Now, I know the Ecodiesel gets 7200 for 2020. And if you have 2wd it will be 6900.

So. Now if you have your truck, look at the payload on the door.

As @2019REBEL said his is 1478.

So we will use his truck.

7100 minus 1478 is a base weight of 5622.

So his truck weighs 5622 pounds with no passengers or cargo and this is with a full tank of gas.

So, 17000 minus 5622 is 11378.

11378 is the total you can haul/tow. The truck has to stay under 7100 lbs with passengers, cargo, hitch, and tongue weight.

With the 11378 number...your max tow then becomes how little you load the truck.

Make sense. Very easy. 2 numbers are a constant...GCWR 17000 and GVWR 7100.

Payload and tow rating change by the individual.

CAT scale trip. Load your truck and head here. That will give you your specific weight. Then stay under 17000 with trailer and tongue weights. Very easy.

Each truck is different. Each owner/family is different.

Great info Devildodge. Appreciated.

BH1

Reaction score

Thanks. Looking forward to learning much on this site. I’m a car nut at heart, but really growing in my appreciation of trucks.

We got our first truck 5 years ago. A 2015 Colorado Z71. Loved it. Great truck. Pulled our boat just fine.

A few years in, we decided that we’d like to move full size, especially because a bigger boat would be in the future.

I’ve always been a Chevy guy; owning Vettes and Camaros. But I’m not so brand loyal that I wouldn’t consider other options. Then the 2019 RAMs were released and I was sold! Especially the Rebel.

We’re really excited about this truck.

Tagaru

Reaction score
BH1: thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread