5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram - Smells like burning plastic

blairwilder97

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2020 ram 1500 and just rolled over 20k miles. These past few days, I’ve noticed a burnt plastic smell coming fr my truck when I get out after driving for roughly 15 minutes or longer. Any idea what this could be? I’ve looked all around the truck and don’t see any smoke nor do I have any issues with the way the truck is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you take a look underneath to see if a plastic shopping bag got caught up?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This might sound silly but, check your enginebay/ airbox to see if a critter made a house in there.

People often lift up their air filters and find out a mouse is hard at work on a development for him and his whole family.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2020 ram 1500 and just rolled over 20k miles. These past few days, I’ve noticed a burnt plastic smell coming fr my truck when I get out after driving for roughly 15 minutes or longer. Any idea what this could be? I’ve looked all around the truck and don’t see any smoke nor do I have any issues with the way the truck is running.

Sorry for the trouble, @blairwilder97. Should you need to address this with your dealer, our team is just a private message away and more than willing to provide you with further support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

STR

Reaction score
Investigate all of the heat sources, i.e., engine, exhaust, etc., and see if any plastic has come into contact...

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I worry about the plastic transmission cover myself. If one were to bottom out or have something knock into the exhaust it could come into contact with the cover

BlueRamGT

Reaction score
Any update on this? I'm having the same burning plastic smell with my 2023 ram 1500

mikedmusso

Reaction score
Any update on this? I'm having the same burning plastic smell with my 2023 ram 1500
Same here with my 2021. Been making the smell for over a year now and decided to research forums and bring to dealer before warranty expires. Really look to forums for expertise but only found two things that looked like a fix. 1.Accelerator Sensor and 2. AC compressor. Be good to see a definite consensus with this issue.

fireman-175

Reaction score
Add me to the list of stumped folks. Seems to smell worse from passenger side, but who knows. It is an acrid smell for sure. I sniffed the tailpipe after shutting off and not the same smell as up front.

seaward

Reaction score
add me as well i have a 2023 rebel and i have the same burning smell as well and no one can figure it out

EAB

Reaction score
Same with my 2 month only 2023 RAM...funny thing is I also smelled the same thing on a different used Longhorn I test drove with 6K miles late last year

Users who are viewing this thread