5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram RPM increasing lurching when braking

TopUSGun

Reaction score
Hello I have a brand new 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi E-Torque 3.92. Whenever I hit the brakes the RPM will increase by about 300-400 RPMs. It’s actually scary because it makes the truck lurch forward, I’m scared I’m going to rear end someone.

Anyone have any ideas? The truck also seems to be missing shift points? Is my transmission a dud?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I'd have the dealer send a flatbed out with a loaner. That sounds like a serious safety issue.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

TopUSGun

Reaction score
Personally, I'd have the dealer send a flatbed out with a loaner. That sounds like a serious safety issue.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
For some reason this morning it’s a little better. Can someone verify if the RPMs on your truck jump up during a downshift that’s you can feel?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can turn the gear number indicator on in the instrument cluster so that you can see if that is what's doing it.
I don't have e-torque so I'm not sure if programming is the same or not, I know there were people with the v6 e-torque having some serious issues with the trans shifting.

My truck is pretty smooth when it downshifts, but I don't brake aggressively often as that affects shift points too.

ramhead

Reaction score
First thing you should try is to disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins then reattach and let the truck reboot.

Bubba33

Reaction score
If you do disconnect the negative on the battery. Be prepared for it to take awhile to get everything back. My climate control was messed up for awhile.

Stew81

Reaction score
I took an e-torque overnight when I considered buying it and noticed it acted strange when braking. I think it uses the brakes to re-charge the battery somehow so when I was coming to a stop you could feel something "let go" of the breaks and it would lurch forward a little. It only did it in certain situations, it wasn't something I could feel every time I stopped but I noticed it enough to take it back and get a non-e-torque. I don't know if this is the same problem you are having but it did make me feel like I might rear end someone. I didn't notice if the rpm's increased when it did this or not so this may not help at all...

TopUSGun

Reaction score
First thing you should try is to disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins then reattach and let the truck reboot.
I’ll try that today.

I took an e-torque overnight when I considered buying it and noticed it acted strange when braking. I think it uses the brakes to re-charge the battery somehow so when I was coming to a stop you could feel something "let go" of the breaks and it would lurch forward a little. It only did it in certain situations, it wasn't something I could feel every time I stopped but I noticed it enough to take it back and get a non-e-torque. I don't know if this is the same problem you are having but it did make me feel like I might rear end someone. I didn't notice if the rpm's increased when it did this or not so this may not help at all...
The strange thing it only started happening recently.

Zinger

Reaction score
The braking on this truck, especially if you have eTorque, takes some getting used to. Assuming eTorque, you have 3 types of braking going on, some of it simultaneously:

1. ETorque braking
2. Transmission aggressively downshifting (engine braking)
3. Regular friction braking at the wheels

The RPM increases you are seeing is the transmission aggressively downshifting.

The good news is between 1 and 2 your brakes are going to last a long time. Mine at 4500 miles still are not broke in and you can still see the factory hatching on the fronts. The bad news is the often unsmooth deceleration, surging, and lurching that results. If it's your everyday driver I'd say you'll adapt to it. For somebody who only occasionally drives it I would make a point to mention the braking is definitely not like what they may be used to.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello I have a brand new 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi E-Torque 3.92. Whenever I hit the brakes the RPM will increase by about 300-400 RPMs. It’s actually scary because it makes the truck lurch forward, I’m scared I’m going to rear end someone.

Anyone have any ideas? The truck also seems to be missing shift points? Is my transmission a dud?

Hi TopUSGun,

We certainly understand why this would be concerning. Please know that our team is just a private message away if you end up addressing this with your dealer and any additional support is needed for that process.

Mark
RamCares

derp

Reaction score
the engineer for etorque did a video on this.

when braking, on the downshift the transmission normally dumps the excess energy from the engine to the torque converter as spin/heat. in Etoruqe, the transmission / torque converter doesn't take that energy, but it is instead dumped to the etorque startstop to charge the battery. the surging RPM on downshift is that energy and it getting dumped into the motor/generator.

I'm sure it takes some getting used to.

rd904rd904

Reaction score
TOPUS Gun or other ever figure this out? 2022 Limited Hemi Mine started doing the same as I'm coming to a stop, coasting and braking, RPMs start dropping suddenly hit near zero then back to 1000, lunging forward?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TOPUS Gun or other ever figure this out? 2022 Limited Hemi Mine started doing the same as I'm coming to a stop, coasting and braking, RPMs start dropping suddenly hit near zero then back to 1000, lunging forward?

Mine will occasionally do that when nearly stopped and it seems dependent upon how much pressure I have on the brake pedal. I suspect the autostop is engaging, but if brake pressure is close to the restart position that just a slight release of pressure on the brake pedal will make it restart right away.

My autostop almost always shut off before I have come to a complete stop. Doesn't really bother me except sometimes I end up stopping further away from the stop sign or car in front than I otherwise would have.

rd904rd904

Reaction score
Mine will occasionally do that when nearly stopped and it seems dependent upon how much pressure I have on the brake pedal. I suspect the autostop is engaging, but if brake pressure is close to the restart position that just a slight release of pressure on the brake pedal will make it restart right away.

My autostop almost always shut off before I have come to a complete stop. Doesn't really bother me except sometimes I end up stopping further away from the stop sign or car in front than I otherwise would have.
I dont have autostop in my truck mine seems to occur when colder out, and doing a rolling stop foot on brake sudden drop rpm to zero and back quickly to 500 or 1000

Users who are viewing this thread