5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram Rebel gaining Adaptive (Radar) Cruise Control!!! Confirmed...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the thing. Non Power Adjustable Pedals, don't adjust at all. A Non Power Steering column still adjusts to the exact same range as a powered one would

As a guy who's always looking for legroom and proper fit in most vehicles, a telescoping column is always a must, and power pedals are icing on the cake. I wouldn't trade a power column for stationary pedals in any vehicle though.
Totally get that. You like the trade off. It doesn’t change the fact that adjustable pedals are a recent phenomenon...which is sorta my point.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Totally get that. You like the trade off. It doesn’t change the fact that adjustable pedals are a recent phenomenon...which is sorta my point.

I'm pretty sure they had them when I bought my '09. I didn't have them on my truck because I bought an SLT Sport. But, I think the Laramie had them.

I guess it depends on what you consider "recent". :D

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My dad's 1997 Expedition XLT had power pedals long before a telescoping column was offered in any truck...

Power pedals are far from a recent phenomenon.

Adjustable columns used to be only reserved for sport oriented cars that valued the perfect driving position over having heavy seat adjusting tracks that put the cg of the driver out of position. Then they went to luxury cars and became powered, and since luxury cars are now trucks, they came here too (except no power in a Ram obviously).

The power pedals were about getting short people to drive tall vehicles, but they have the added benefit to us tall folks as well, generally offering a lower pedal position than the stationary pedals would.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
It is surprising, especially when they do offer features like a color heads-up display.

Likewise, I thought it was odd that Ram offered power-adjustable pedals but a manual tilt-and-telescope column.
I am fine without the power steering wheel. I had that in my Hellcat and it always takes too long to adjust whereas with the ram, it is extremely quick to change the steering wheel to the position I want.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
Had I not taken advantage of the awesome rebates for June, this would have sealed the deal for me going with a 2020 Rebel.

I’m happy with my Limited though. It just needs some aggressive tires.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously? Even on their latest trucks? It's friggin 2019, for crying out loud.

I think the Denali trucks have it, and the AT4 which is what I would even consider buying will have it on 2020 (confirmed) which is in the order guide now.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I think the Denali trucks have it, and the AT4 which is what I would even consider buying will have it on 2020 (confirmed) which is in the order guide now.
Good to know. I do like the Tahoe, just not the dated interior / features, so it's great to hear they're bringing them out of the 90s for a change...

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to know. I do like the Tahoe, just not the dated interior / features, so it's great to hear they're bringing them out of the 90s for a change...

Agreed, and I like the AT4 but that interior is just ok, and borderline meh

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My dad's 1997 Expedition XLT had power pedals long before a telescoping column was offered in any truck...

Power pedals are far from a recent phenomenon.

Adjustable columns used to be only reserved for sport oriented cars that valued the perfect driving position over having heavy seat adjusting tracks that put the cg of the driver out of position. Then they went to luxury cars and became powered, and since luxury cars are now trucks, they came here too (except no power in a Ram obviously).

The power pedals were about getting short people to drive tall vehicles, but they have the added benefit to us tall folks as well, generally offering a lower pedal position than the stationary pedals would.
Yes, and (manual) tilt wheels were offered before that. I saw a Ford patent on their power tilt/telescoping/collapsible steering columns in 1996, so based on your experience, they were exploring all of these ideas at the time. I’m not sure who was first to market with power-adjustable steering wheels. Cadillac introduced the first (manual) tilt and telescoping wheel in 1965, so it was obviously after that.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, and (manual) tilt wheels were offered before that. I saw a Ford patent on their power tilt/telescoping/collapsible steering columns in 1996, so based on your experience, they were exploring all of these ideas at the time. I’m not sure who was first to market with power-adjustable steering wheels. Cadillac introduced the first (manual) tilt and telescoping wheel in 1965, so it was obviously after that.

Yes, but when they were patented, and when and where they were most used first are two different things.

My dad worked on the steering column design (and has patents for it) for Torrington Company (a Ford Supplier) in the 90's, and his design was used in the 1996-97 Explorers and Rangers.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, they don’t have adaptive cruise. It’s a notable omission, given all of the other tech they offer (rear view camera mirror, heads-up display, etc).

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just hoping the rebel has a memory seat option. I don't get it lol. If i can get ASG and Memory seats i'll order a rebel tomorrow!

Aggressorblue

Reaction score
The ACC is part of the Advanced Safety Group, which is only offered on Laramie and higher trims for 2019. My suspicion is that it will now be offered on Big Horn models and above, obviously including the Rebels
One word. Money.
These two things are absolutely connected; reading a lot of reviews for the 19’, a lot of valid criticism is lobbed at Ram for keeping the advanced safety tech out of reach of lower trims, to say nothing of not including it standard. A mid-level Honda Civic gets it standard!
That said, Market pressures are clearly playing a hand here: this year the truck is the darling of the industry, but things move FAST in full size truck land. To wit, the Tacoma has had the feature since the 18 MY, and 2020’s will get the addition of the gods-eye surround cameras.

In general, Ram is competing hard with BMW in the “Package level shell game” Olympics. Talking to a dealer yesterday, he couldn’t build (much less find in inventory) a truck that had Auto cruise AND black tube steps; only chrome or folding were options. It blocked out black steps. WTF? I get some things like the saftey features being all interconnected tech, but come on, if I’m BUILDING a truck, why is that a problem? I’m not paying 7k for crap I don’t need, to get to the 2k worth of options I do.

Personally, I’m now in the boat of considering waiting a year for the 2020’s myself, given the potential for them to curb some of the package level ‘shell games a bit. Seeing trucks like the ancient taco getting these features should be a wake up call (I have a 16’Taco coming off lease, trust me, it’s an old soul). Plus, now that the heat has come off the 2019’s a bit, they need to keep momentum into 2020.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These two things are absolutely connected; reading a lot of reviews for the 19’, a lot of valid criticism is lobbed at Ram for keeping the advanced safety tech out of reach of lower trims, to say nothing of not including it standard. A mid-level Honda Civic gets it standard!
That said, Market pressures are clearly playing a hand here: this year the truck is the darling of the industry, but things move FAST in full size truck land. To wit, the Tacoma has had the feature since the 18 MY, and 2020’s will get the addition of the gods-eye surround cameras.

In general, Ram is competing hard with BMW in the “Package level shell game” Olympics. Talking to a dealer yesterday, he couldn’t build (much less find in inventory) a truck that had Auto cruise AND black tube steps; only chrome or folding were options. It blocked out black steps. WTF? I get some things like the saftey features being all interconnected tech, but come on, if I’m BUILDING a truck, why is that a problem? I’m not paying 7k for crap I don’t need, to get to the 2k worth of options I do.

Personally, I’m now in the boat of considering waiting a year for the 2020’s myself, given the potential for them to curb some of the package level ‘shell games a bit. Seeing trucks like the ancient taco getting these features should be a wake up call (I have a 16’Taco coming off lease, trust me, it’s an old soul). Plus, now that the heat has come off the 2019’s a bit, they need to keep momentum into 2020.
2020s are being ordered now; let us know if you see any changes at all.

RAMpage

Reaction score
If it's just ACC I don't see that the big deal is. I had it in my last 2 cars and it was handy when I wanted to be lazy on longer drives. If the package also includes lane guidance, auto braking/avoidance I wouldn't want it in my truck. Several times my car would hit the brakes hard thinking something was in front of me when nothing was. The lane guidance was a nuisance when it was raining and it would try to follow the tire marks from the car in front of me.
Imagine in a truck towing a trailer if it decided to brake hard for no reason.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I don't know if this is still true or not, but at least at some point I know that the dealer had to specify that the order they were building was a "sold" order, instead of an inventory order, to be able to get the full availability of the options with no extra restrictions. If a dealer is building a truck to sit on the lot, Ram wants to make sure it has XY and Z because their marketing data says so. If it's a sold order for a customer that's already locked in, then they can toss the marketing data out the window.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's just ACC I don't see that the big deal is. I had it in my last 2 cars and it was handy when I wanted to be lazy on longer drives. If the package also includes lane guidance, auto braking/avoidance I wouldn't want it in my truck. Several times my car would hit the brakes hard thinking something was in front of me when nothing was. The lane guidance was a nuisance when it was raining and it would try to follow the tire marks from the car in front of me.
Imagine in a truck towing a trailer if it decided to brake hard for no reason.

I think ACC does include that stuff. But, you can absolutely turn it all off.

I live in the DC metro area. Having ACC makes driving on I-95 and I-66 a LOT less stressful!

Users who are viewing this thread