5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 2500 HD - looks outdated already

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do wonder if FCA did not extend the cab because the HD trucks have the Mega Cab option?
This was discussed quite a bit before the refreshed HDs came out. In short, Ram reused the existing cabs and beds in order to get the “4.5 gen” to market quickly using existing production lines. The 5th gen HD will be all-new, but it’s a couple of years out.

But your point about the Mega Cab still being available is also true, and maybe that was FCA’s thinking as well.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
I've been with this 4th gen for a few days now while mine is in the shop and I really notice the difference in rear seat room. I was kind of wanting to get back into a diesel after all these problems with my 1500(plus the ability to tow more) but I don't think I could go backwards in space with the Ram. That only leaves a Ford for HD rear seat room. I am not sure I am ready to make that jump yet....

Do you mean smaller than a 2019 1500? My comparison is between the Gen IV cab which seems to be the same, as would be expected. I hadn't considered the new 1500 being bigger, but I guess it is.

Yeah, the 2019 1500s are a lot roomier than the 4th gens, w

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As for the comment on the interior room.....it fits me fine and I'm 6'8" and 400#. Where is it smaller.?

My Dad is 6'8" and couldn't even get in a 4G 2500 with a sunroof (he's got some serious back / body problems, and is not very bendy let say), but fits great in my Laramie with the Pano Roof (once he gets in, in and out of the door is even tough for him in his F-350 which has very tall and wide door openings, even compared to my Ram, which I'd consider the second largest door openings I've seen so far.)

newramguy2019

Reaction score
It's not the look that is upgraded, it's the ride. Go a to a local dealer and do a side by side test drive (without the rep). I did this and the 2019 has a a very noticeable improvement in turn radius. When I took them both on an circuit of gravel and dirt roads with deep puddle holes and ruts, the 2019 floated over them while the 2018 turned my kidneys to paste.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Took a 2019 RAM 2500 Mega limited out for a test drive yesterday. It was spec'd to the top with every possible option and 4.10 rear axle. The hemi was unbelievably powerful and the 8 speed was a perfect match. Rear space was as big as my '19 1500, if not bigger. But, as noted on this thread, it did feel like my 2014 RAM on the inside. Old style steering controls, doors, buttons, manual parking brake, look of the rear seats. Price was right too considering its in the territory of a limited 1500 pricing. I passed on the truck due to the interior look and feel which was a step backwards compared to the new RAM 1500. Going to wait until the cab is updated (2020 or 2021) and just continue to rent 3/4 ton trucks for my annual trips (towing 10K lbs boat).

The combo of hemi 6.4L + 8 speed is a sure winner though. They definitely got that right and will be a big selling point over diesel in 3/4 ton trucks. Especially for weekend tow warriors.....The ride was very comparable to the RAM 1500, just taller (might have to do with the rear air suspension).
RAM2500.jpg

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like that they put the 8spd in there, I was really considering getting one but the old 66 trans always seemed highly suspect. I saw a lot of problems especially on the lifted trucks.

So now maybe I’ll have to check them out again in 2021 when I buy again. I strongly dislike they put cp4 pumps on the Cummins, that’s a reason not to buy one IMO. I imagine we will see a bunch of cp3 kits like they did with the LML.

barr0208

Reaction score
First off, its a 2019 model... I have been chasing these trucks since April when they were fully camo'd. I have to say after spending time with them, its far from dated. It they would have put a curve in the rear window like the 5th generation trucks have, people probably wouldn't notice its the 4th generation cab construction. But once you sit inside... you would be hard pressed to say its a 4th generation truck.... so agree to disagree!
except for the rear seat which is a giveaway that it is dated as it still has the indentation in the middle.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Thread revived

Just buy a 19 1500 and a 19 HD Megacab and you’ll be fine

“The HD cab is 1.76” smaller than a 2019 1500 and shares a similar body to a 4th gen so I won’t buy it”

Seriously we are spoiled people

Heeellloooo the 2019 1500s will look older and different and have less features than the next model release...it’s a perpetual state of insanity.

Just buy what ya like that does the job. My 2019 H.O. Is leaps and bounds better than the 2017 Megacab I had but I would have still had the 17 had it not had some crazy vibration and been content.

You’re not settling one way or another. You wait 3/4/5 years for a new model and it turns out to be the worst truck they ever made or the best but in 3/4/5 years after that they have another refresh and you’re not the newest truck on the block then what....back to square one. Meanwhile those who jumped into what they loved have had 6/8/10 years of enjoyment.

I like the 5th gen but I love my perfected 4th gen Cummins and was happy with my 17. It’s ok guys trust me.

Carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread