5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ram 1500 vs 2020 toyota tundra

calvinjns

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new truck for myself. I currently have it drilled down to either a 2020 Ram 1500 or a 2020 Toyota Tundra. I'm new to the "serious haggling" that comes with buying a new truck so not familiar with alot of terms that is used in this forum (MSRP vs invoice, hold backs, etc). I can say that I'm looking to spend around $40k for my truck. I like both trucks but I'm stlll stuck on which one I should go with. On one had I like the Tundra because of what I call a more aggressive exterior look and obviously the reliability, but I do feel like the Interior is dated. I am looking at the Tundra SRS TSS OR TRD Sport. I'm not saying that they have to be as up to date as the ram but I do like more tech when I'm paying $40k and up. Then I have the Ram 1500 Limited which I like the interior and all the tech it offers(12 in radio, pano roof) but I do understand that it's well below the average as far as reliability. Im not the type to trade in my car every other year so I do plan on keeping this truck for 10+ years. Also I have been advised by multiple truck owners not to buy used because I stay in Arkansas so alot of truck owners use and abuse their trucks then trade them in after a few years. Which truck do you think will give me the best bang for my buck? What tips can you give me to help me make a decision.

2020RamSport

Reaction score
If your budget is around $40k, then the Limited (& Laramie) is out of your price range. You'd be better off going with a Tradesman or a low-optioned Big Horn.

calvinjns

Reaction score
If your budget is around $40k, then the Limited (& Laramie) is out of your price range. You'd be better off going with a Tradesman or a low-optioned Big Horn.
Sorry I didn't mean to put the limited. I meant lower end Laramie. And I would say my max is $45k and from what I've read I was assuming I could negotiate a Laramie close to maybe $45k and put a down payment

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well Toyota will probably have the best reliablity, but the Ram is not as bad some make it out to be. With the Toyota it is the oldest truck out thier right now, if you plan on keeping it 10 years it will be an antique since it is already so dated. Personally if was to keep the truck 10 plus years I would be looking at a mid level Ram without all the extra gagets. Air suspention, pano roof, 12" screen, power running boards are all things that will probably have issues in the long run. You can get 10-15K off sticker so you could get a Big Horn or a lower Level laramie for close to 40K.

calvinjns

Reaction score
Well Toyota will probably have the best reliablity, but the Ram is not as bad some make it out to be. With the Toyota it is the oldest truck out thier right now, if you plan on keeping it 10 years it will be an antique since it is already so dated. Personally if was to keep the truck 10 plus years I would be looking at a mid level Ram without all the extra gagets. Air suspention, pano roof, 12" screen, power running boards are all things that will probably have issues in the long run. You can get 10-15K off sticker so you could get a Big Horn or a lower Level laramie for close to 40K.
That's true I didn't think about how ancient the tundra will look in 5+ years, especially sixne they're supposed to be coming with a redesign in 1-2 years

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seriously...you come to a Ram forum and ask if you should buy a Ram or a Toyota LOL. You have to know that most will tell you to buy a Ram. I mean, people who have had issues with their Ram trucks might tell to avoid buying one, but those of us who are happy with what we're driving will probably not tell you to buy another brand of truck. If I was limited to $45k I'd buy used. You can find used 2017's and 2018's for quite a bit less than a new truck. I've seen fully loaded Limited or Longhorn models for $40k with around 20k miles. And I can't see people in Arkansas being any harder on their vehicles than someone from any other state. Of course, you'd want to have the vehicle service history available when shopping for used. And avoid anything that doesn't have that. You also didn't say which configuration you're looking for, such as 4x4 vs 2wd, crew cab, quad cab, or regular cab, which bed size. All of those will have an effect on price whether you're shopping for new or used.

calvinjns

Reaction score
Seriously...you come to a Ram forum and ask if you should buy a Ram or a Toyota LOL. You have to know that most will tell you to buy a Ram. I mean, people who have had issues with their Ram trucks might tell to avoid buying one, but those of us who are happy with what we're driving will probably not tell you to buy another brand of truck. If I was limited to $45k I'd buy used. You can find used 2017's and 2018's for quite a bit less than a new truck. I've seen fully loaded Limited or Longhorn models for $40k with around 20k miles. And I can't see people in Arkansas being any harder on their vehicles than someone from any other state. Of course, you'd want to have the vehicle service history available when shopping for used. And avoid anything that doesn't have that. You also didn't say which configuration you're looking for, such as 4x4 vs 2wd, crew cab, quad cab, or regular cab, which bed size. All of those will have an effect on price whether you're shopping for new or used.
I meant to say Laramie and other than the pano roof and maybe 12 inch radio, I don't really care about it

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So do you need leather and power passenger seating ? If not there are plenty of great deals on Bighorns.

Bhew123

Reaction score
I have a Laramie and have had zero issues in the 10 months of ownership and 7,500 miles. I have not been to the dealer one time (other than trying to trade it for a gladiator yesterday). With that being said. If I were to pick one of the trucks to have for 10 years. I would buy the Toyota.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Simplicity and reliability is what I wanted in my 2020 1500. It came down to tundra and tradesman . Since I had to have the 6.5 bed, as hard as I tried I just couldn't live with the double cab tundra. Hopefully Toyota makes a normal crew cab 6.5 bed with their new 2021 and I would take a hard look. If the 5.5 bed works I would be in my first ever Toyota. I do like my tradesman tough, but I like the tundra interior more.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking at this Larimie, below. Rebates are less now than yesterday, but will go back up in May/June. Your goal should be at least 13% off DEALER discount, PLUS rebates. After PenFed Credit Union $1000 and conquest cash I think I can get this MSRP Larimie $52,500 for around $38,000-$38,500, if not lower. I plan to wait until mid June and hope the truck is still there (penfed rebate has a 60 day waiting period and I signed for account today). Last year June had great rebates, and it is the last month of what will be an abysmal quarter.

Last edited:

RangerZ

Reaction score
As a current ram owner and past ford,Chevy and many time gmc owner if you want a 10 year truck I’d get the Toyota. Not saying the ram isn’t a 10 year truck because I love mine but toyota still has the reputation as a long lasting vehicle . not saying you can’t or won’t have issues with a Toyota. The current tundra doesn’t do it for me inside and out but it’s a proven design as its been around for about 10 years now. I’m sure the redesign will be a big improvement. Always found it interesting though that they only sell about 100k trucks annually which is a pittance compared to ford,GM and FCA which may also lead to reasons you hear about more problems with the latter 3. Make more sell more greater chance of having some with issues

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have had pretty good luck with RAM trucks being 10 year trucks.

My 99 has celebrated over 20 years of use with only wear item maintenance (it needs a clutch right now)

My 03 has celebrated 17 years of use.

If not for Pennsylvania rust, the 2 trucks would be used indefinitely.

My 2015 RAM, although not quite halfway through the 10 years, has performed flawlessly for 134k miles.

Skip the Tundra. Get the RAM.

They all suck when they don't work...they all will not do something at some point.

Ok so I am Biased and you did ask for an opinion.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
No question the Tundra is the more reliable truck but it is so reliable in part because of less advanced technology. Even though the Ram gets bad gas mileage, the Tundra is worse, and over 10 years that will add up. My guess is the fuel savings of the Ram will counter the extra maintenance costs.

Resale value is also night and day with Toyota beating FCA, but 10 years from now isn't going to matter for a while and less money will be at stake at that time.

Buy what you want, maintain it and both trucks will be fine.

RangerZ

Reaction score
My ram doesn’t pass many gas pumps. Terrible MPG. If the Toyota is worse than 8 -9 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer and 13 in mixed driving then it wins the Booby prize :LOL:

RamLink83

Reaction score
I came from a 2013 Toyota Tundra. Got rid of it because it kept leaking oil. First from both cam towers, then valve cover, and finally the timing cover. Luckily all under warranty. After all of that, one thing I can say is Toyota has great customer service and will take care of you. So why didn't I go back to the Tundra? Like others said it's outdated. A 2020 was barely different from my 2013 and I wanted something different and up to date. So I ended up with a 2020 Bighorn Quad Cab that I custom built. It's was stickered at almost $52,000. Basically a low level laramie price. I didn't want leather so I stayed with the bighorn. I got the truck down to about $41k before taxes. Only have about 1000 miles on it, so I can't attest to its reliability yet, but I hope I made the right choice with the Ram instead of a Tundra.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I came from a 2013 Toyota Tundra. Got rid of it because it kept leaking oil. First from both cam towers, then valve cover, and finally the timing cover. Luckily all under warranty. After all of that, one thing I can say is Toyota has great customer service and will take care of you. So why didn't I go back to the Tundra? Like others said it's outdated. A 2020 was barely different from my 2013 and I wanted something different and up to date. So I ended up with a 2020 Bighorn Quad Cab that I custom built. It's was stickered at almost $52,000. Basically a low level laramie price. I didn't want leather so I stayed with the bighorn. I got the truck down to about $41k before taxes. Only have about 1000 miles on it, so I can't attest to its reliability yet, but I hope I made the right choice with the Ram instead of a Tundra.
This is a good point. After owning Toyotas and FCA products, the disparity in service is huge. I think the terrible FCA service departments make Ram reliability seem worse than it is. Things like rear brake squeal and the highway vibration are two examples of problems that Ram hasn't been able to competently address. I like my Ram and I don't regret buying it over the competition, but going to the dealership for warranty service is maddening.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to be a die hard Toyota guy and have owned a bunch of Tacoma’s and Tundras. The Tundra cane on the scene like a freight train in 2007, it was the truck to beat. I bought one in 2007 and it was a complete disaster!!! But fast forward 13 years and the Tundra is a dinosaur. Outdated in every way, and has the thirstiest power train in the entire half ton market. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to have Toyota reliability then go for it. If you want the best performing most innovative truck available the Tundra is dead last, that’s been proven. The drive train in the Ram is about as proven as one can ask for , Hemi and the 8 spd. If you don’t buy a loaded to the hilt limited and aren’t anal about sounds like wind noise or a little brake squeal the Ram will serve you well. Plus you can get a crew cab truck with a 6.5’ bed and the ability to fold up the rear seats and have lots of room for cargo too, neither of those are available in a Tundra!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new truck for myself. I currently have it drilled down to either a 2020 Ram 1500 or a 2020 Toyota Tundra. I'm new to the "serious haggling" that comes with buying a new truck so not familiar with alot of terms that is used in this forum (MSRP vs invoice, hold backs, etc). I can say that I'm looking to spend around $40k for my truck. I like both trucks but I'm stlll stuck on which one I should go with. On one had I like the Tundra because of what I call a more aggressive exterior look and obviously the reliability, but I do feel like the Interior is dated. I am looking at the Tundra SRS TSS OR TRD Sport. I'm not saying that they have to be as up to date as the ram but I do like more tech when I'm paying $40k and up. Then I have the Ram 1500 Limited which I like the interior and all the tech it offers(12 in radio, pano roof) but I do understand that it's well below the average as far as reliability. Im not the type to trade in my car every other year so I do plan on keeping this truck for 10+ years. Also I have been advised by multiple truck owners not to buy used because I stay in Arkansas so alot of truck owners use and abuse their trucks then trade them in after a few years. Which truck do you think will give me the best bang for my buck? What tips can you give me to help me make a decision.
I kind of wanted to like the Tundra. They have a good reputation for reliability, as you point out, and they’re built here in Texas. But a buddy of mine owns a Platinum, and it’s just..not that special. There’s nothing wrong with it, but it doesn’t grab my attention, either. I suppose it depends on what you’re going for. If the TRD Pro was more aggressive - more like a Tacoma TRD Pro on steroids - that might be interesting. Regardless, go with what you think will make you happy six months or a year from now, once the “newness” wears off. And good luck!

JKlem

Reaction score
I’m a Toyota / Honda dude. Own a 19 big horn. My father in law just leased a new tundra.

Ram.

The Tundra isn’t even close. It feels clumsy and rides like it’s 2008. Bc it is a 2008 design. The engine and transmission were groundbreaking and set the bar in 2008. Now it’s old and tired.

Ram rides better. Performs better.

Tundra will win on reliability, longevity, and resale. Ram wins on everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread