5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Using Stock 20" Rims, what is the biggest tire I can go?

Shives

Reaction score
Ok, so 2019 Stock Ram 1500 4x4 night edition bighorn. Have stock 20’s with the 275/55-20. The Bridgestone factory’s.

I would like to level my truck, and put a good tire on it. I don’t do any off road, but like the look. I do most Highway and back roads.

I don’t want to just shim them front spring… I rather do it right… but I’m sure some of you have a good suggestion on what kit. I’m guessing a new upper control arm and maybe strut. I’m unsure.

What would you suggest for tires, and what lift that won’t brake the bank, won’t hurt the truck and won’t half step the driving ability and feel.

Thanks. Tires are not cheep at 250-400 a rubber. Want them to last, look good and truck stand right. Thanks much.

Been looking at the Nitto’s. But they are more of an aggressive A/t and I also see they have Xl and 305 people are using.

Not sure on this part, so would love guidance and direction or suggestions I should say. Thanks.

Is there a Mopar arm I can run? Or better off aftermarket?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
There are two types of spacers. One that compresses the spring, and one that goes on top of the strut, and doesn’t affect ride quality (this is the one I have).

If you don’t like these, there are a couple of leveling kits that have new struts. Some even have new control arms. I believe mopar has one, and possibly bilstein. You could probably do a search on the forum and find what you’re looking for.

As far as tires, I didn’t want to spend too much. I went with venom power x/t tires. $1000 cash for 4 ply.
Hope this helps.

nimbus

Reaction score
Ok, so 2019 Stock Ram 1500 4x4 night edition bighorn. Have stock 20’s with the 275/55-20. The Bridgestone factory’s.

I would like to level my truck, and put a good tire on it. I don’t do any off road, but like the look. I do most Highway and back roads.

I don’t want to just shim them front spring… I rather do it right… but I’m sure some of you have a good suggestion on what kit. I’m guessing a new upper control arm and maybe strut. I’m unsure.

What would you suggest for tires, and what lift that won’t brake the bank, won’t hurt the truck and won’t half step the driving ability and feel.

Thanks. Tires are not cheep at 250-400 a rubber. Want them to last, look good and truck stand right. Thanks much.

Been looking at the Nitto’s. But they are more of an aggressive A/t and I also see they have Xl and 305 people are using.

Not sure on this part, so would love guidance and direction or suggestions I should say. Thanks.

Is there a Mopar arm I can run? Or better off aftermarket?

I'm in the same boat as you. Haven't been able to make a decision as I've been drowning in all the information out there.

That said, I've read good things about this leveling kit from ReadyLift that includes top hat spacers and new UCAs:

I've also considered the Mopar 2" lift but it's obviously a lot more expensive. And am I correct in assuming with the Mopar lift, you can't go back to stock if you change your mind later on?

Also like you, I like the look of Nitto's but rarely if ever go off road. Does anyone know if a 2" level would allow for 275/65-20 tires? You can get the Nitto's in that size in an SL (non-LT) version that in theory would be a much smoother, quieter ride on the highway.

I realize I haven't actually answered any of your questions, but this is as far as I've gotten in my own process.

Shives

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. Haven't been able to make a decision as I've been drowning in all the information out there.

That said, I've read good things about this leveling kit from ReadyLift that includes top hat spacers and new UCAs:

I've also considered the Mopar 2" lift but it's obviously a lot more expensive. And am I correct in assuming with the Mopar lift, you can't go back to stock if you change your mind later on?

Also like you, I like the look of Nitto's but rarely if ever go off road. Does anyone know if a 2" level would allow for 275/65-20 tires? You can get the Nitto's in that size in an SL (non-LT) version that in theory would be a much smoother, quieter ride on the highway.

I realize I haven't actually answered any of your questions, but this is as far as I've gotten in my own process.
It helps! Honestly. I’m lost. Lol I don’t want to compress.. I want to have oem ride or better without killing my wallet.

Thanks guys! Love the feed back

nimbus

Reaction score
It helps! Honestly. I’m lost. Lol I don’t want to compress.. I want to have oem ride or better without killing my wallet.

Thanks guys! Love the feed back

From what I've read, the ReadyLift kit (and most top hat spacers) do the best job of maintaining ride quality. I think to get a ride that's better than OEM, you have to look at coilovers or other more expensive options. Definitely do NOT choose a pre-load spacer if you're concerned about ride quality.

I've also read not to take your choice of replacement tires lightly as well. Especially if you aren't going to off-road, an LT tire is probably overkill. That's why I'm really hoping to be able to fit the SL 275/65-20 tires so I don't have to get an LT tire (which in addition to not riding as smoothly, are also much heavier, louder, and less fuel efficient).

Hopefully others will chime in here as I still have a lot to learn before making my own decision as well.

Shives

Reaction score
Yup! Trying to figure it all out!! I’m not an auto tire guy. Motorcycle, I got you…. my truck…. help…. Lol.

I think for now the ready lift wins, yet I’m open to suggestions. Tires, well…. Again waiting to read and hope to learn more. Thanks everyone really!!

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
I am currently running the 2.5” motofab leveling top hat spacers and the mopar 2” lift kit upper control arms. Best setup if you don’t do any off-roading and don’t want to break the back all together I spent roughly $200 for UCAs and Spacer. Installed the kit myself at home in around 2.5 hours. This was my first time doing any suspension work.

I rode the stock tires for about two weeks while I waited for my new set to come in and the ride quality was the same as stock.

That being said it’s now sitting on 35x12.5 atturo trail blade xt 10ply tires and the ride quality is a bit stiffer but nothing drastic.

minor rubbing on full lock but on the driver side. Fixed by heating and massaging the inner fender liner back. Also had to zip tie the top of the fender liner on the passenger side.

In all I am happy with the result it now sits 1/2” higher in the rear with a full tank.

995C5811-CBDF-4407-931C-FF16B65D29F0.jpeg

Ex_dutch

Reaction score
I have a 2“ Mopar lift with 295\60r20 Falken Wildpeaks on stock Laramie rims.

nightrunner76

Reaction score
Had my truck measured while having other work done yesterday.

Without anything, bone stock using the stock 20" rims, I can go 285/60R20 with zero trimming based on measurements taken. No leveling needed.

Eyeing some Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T tires as the shop I go to has been selling them like hotcakes and cannot recommend them enough. Selling more than Nitto Ridge Grapplers because they are $50 less per tire and have the same quality with low noise. Just had intake, exhaust and cover added so will be a while. Will post a pick once I throw them on!

Shives

Reaction score

Without anything, bone stock using the stock 20" rims, I can go 285/60R20 with zero trimming based on measurements taken. No leveling needed.

Eyeing some Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T tires as the shop I go to has been selling them like hotcakes and cannot recommend them enough. Selling more than Nitto Ridge Grapplers because they are $50 less per tire and have the same quality with low noise. Just had intake, exhaust and cover added so will be a while. Will post a pick once I throw them on!
Stock suspension, no ORP!? Just checking.

mcosub

Reaction score

looking forward to the pictures and review

MJMSxr

Reaction score
I just installed 35in/12.5in Ridge Grapplers on my 2022 Ram Lonestars 20in wheels. No modifications have been made whatsoever. Very slight rub when at full turn. Have yet to rub them while driving around yet. They fit fine now but I will be installing a 3.5in lift next week View attachment 130077 View attachment 130078 stock no level? I have a big horn and wondering if your lonestar is the same?

STB20

Reaction score
I have a 2020 night edition off road will 33x11.5r20 fit with no wheel spacers or should I go with 285x55R20 no mods have been done

contra1605

Reaction score
I just installed 35in/12.5in Ridge Grapplers on my 2022 Ram Lonestars 20in wheels. No modifications have been made whatsoever. Very slight rub when at full turn. Have yet to rub them while driving around yet. They fit fine now but I will be installing a 3.5in lift next week View attachment 130077 View attachment 130078
Love the look! I have a '22 Laramie and want to add a ZONE 4" lift with 35x12's on stock 20x9 wheels but worried they'll rub.

K!Hulk52

Reaction score
I just installed 35in/12.5in Ridge Grapplers on my 2022 Ram Lonestars 20in wheels. No modifications have been made whatsoever. Very slight rub when at full turn. Have yet to rub them while driving around yet. They fit fine now but I will be installing a 3.5in lift next week View attachment 130077 View attachment 130078
Those look fu*#king tough without the lift kit.. nice upgrade!

Mathyou91

Reaction score
Love the look! I have a '22 Laramie and want to add a ZONE 4" lift with 35x12's on stock 20x9 wheels but worried they'll rub.
It’s funny my 35x12.5 tires only rubbed a tiny bit while stock but when I put the 3.5” lift they rubbed the upper control arms bad. Had to put 1.5” spacer in. Only a tiny bit of rub on the plastic when in reverse and turning hard now

Yayo

Reaction score
Hello, first time posting. If this has been asked please post the link, learning to navigate this forum and may have passed it.

The stock tires that came with the truck look a bit small (275/55 R20). Looking to upgrade to the Nitto Terra grappler G2's for a more aggressive look with hybrid capabilities. Had the original Terra grapplers on my 3rd Gen and loved them.

I really like the stock 20" matte rims so would prefer to keep them. What would be the biggest size I could go without adding a leveling or lift to the truck? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hello. First time posting.

I have a 2023 1500 Laramine with air ride. I just put on 35 11.5 20 Nitto Recons. No rubbing no trimming and runs great. Love the look. No idea on the MPG difference and truck speeds up just about the same. I looked around quite a bit but never saw anyone try the 35x11.5. So here it is.

Raised the truck from
37.25 in front to just under 39 and
39.5 back to just under 41 in normal ride height.

Again no level no trimming and the upper an arm still has about a half inch from tire.

IMG_0682.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0684.jpeg
    IMG_0684.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0683.jpeg