5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Using Stock 20" Rims, what is the biggest tire I can go?

nightrunner76

Reaction score
Hello, first time posting. If this has been asked please post the link, learning to navigate this forum and may have passed it.

The stock tires that came with the truck look a bit small (275/55 R20). Looking to upgrade to the Nitto Terra grappler G2's for a more aggressive look with hybrid capabilities. Had the original Terra grapplers on my 3rd Gen and loved them.

I really like the stock 20" matte rims so would prefer to keep them. What would be the biggest size I could go without adding a leveling or lift to the truck? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

joshsouth12

Reaction score
33s and maaaaayyyyybe 34s but I highly doubt it. Was looking at this myself recently and think 275/60r20 was biggest without rubbing UCA, but ended up doing level and 285/65r20 instead

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
From reading a ton of post in this forum I am going to say the 275/60/R20's. I have the ORP and plan to go for 275/65/R20's. You might be able to do 65's if you zip tie back the inner fenders on the front. Least that is what i have gleaned from reading on here.

Keh

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited with the ORP. My issue is that with the limited edition i have different clearance heights- Off road/Normal/Aero/Entry Exit.
I am wanting 275/65/r20s but have a feeling they will rub at full turn in Aero mode and probably more in Entry Exit mode. Can anyone with the same truck confirm?

Last edited:

Mathyou91

Reaction score
I just installed 35in/12.5in Ridge Grapplers on my 2022 Ram Lonestars 20in wheels. No modifications have been made whatsoever. Very slight rub when at full turn. Have yet to rub them while driving around yet. They fit fine now but I will be installing a 3.5in lift next week 20220521_182726.jpg 1BD14973-6FD1-4EF5-A09F-F2C8347CA25B.jpeg

RonF

Reaction score

@Mathyou91,​

Love the look of your truck and the 35's on your truck. And really want to do this to my truck when it arrives.

Possible to do me a favor and measure the distance between the upper A-arm and the tire ? Or take a picture ?
Interested in the distance before you do your lift.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Without leveling 275/60r20

You could go 33x12.5r20 with a 2 inch level

I went with the first option.

7812D451-60FD-45BF-A855-C150F30B4A57.jpeg

joshsouth12

Reaction score
I'm going to try and get spacers installed with my lift this week. Probably a smart move.
For sure - one decent pothole or hard turn at highway speeds and that sidewall is going to get a bit too friendly with that UCA

Also - depending on lift you install, my level replaced UCAs and I actually have a bit more room between now, so you may not need spacers afterward.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
For sure - one decent pothole or hard turn at highway speeds and that sidewall is going to get a bit too friendly with that UCA

Also - depending on lift you install, my level replaced UCAs and I actually have a bit more room between now, so you may not need spacers afterward.
Good point. Either way, it’s not worth the chance of a blowout imo

nightrunner76

Reaction score
I just installed 35in/12.5in Ridge Grapplers on my 2022 Ram Lonestars 20in wheels. No modifications have been made whatsoever. Very slight rub when at full turn. Have yet to rub them while driving around yet. They fit fine now but I will be installing a 3.5in lift next week View attachment 130077 View attachment 130078

This looks fantastic! I would do similar but try to stick with leveling struts in the front and maybe a hair smaller tires. Same rims as mine too!!

nightrunner76

Reaction score
All really great info. For those who are unsure, hit the shop yesterday and was told the following in terms of leveling:

Each RAM truck from the factory can have a slightly different rake depending on many factors such as options or even the way it was built. That's why they have to measure each truck to select a specific leveling kit. Currently my truck has a 2.5" rake difference between the front and back (Front is 2.5" lower.) If I did a common 2" leveling kit, I would still be off a hair (.5"). If I go up to 2.5", the front could sit a bit higher with a full tank of gas, loaded bed or guests in the vehicle. They recommended the 2" kit with upper CA's for about $700. they said they would like to measure the turn radius and wheel well to suggest a good size before ordering tires for the stock rims. I know guys that do this professionally or only work on trucks could probably rattle it off from experience but I respect their process.

Plan on holding on this for a bit as I am doing intake, exhaust and a cover. Will report back when I am ready with more info to share!

Last edited:

AKRam21

Reaction score
For whatever it is worth, it looks like Walmart.com has the same tire at a reduced price of $279 each. May not last long.....here's the link:

1654351623411.png

Also, maybe someone can help me understand, but it appears that Pirelli makes 2 different versions of this tire size. One is the "eco focus" that seems to reference Rivian. That version of the tire is considerably more expensive than the LT version. Image below is from the tirerack.com website.

1654351478070.png

Users who are viewing this thread