5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Rebel - factory front hooks - recovery

Rollint

Reaction score
Are the two stock front hooks, on the bumper, rated for recovery???
I would also like to know this. It says load is 5500lbs or 1.5x gvwr, depending on vehicle. They do mount direct to frame so I would imagine you can use them as recovery

KOOPS

Reaction score
I would also like to know this. It says load is 5500lbs or 1.5x gvwr, depending on vehicle. They do mount direct to frame so I would imagine you can use them as recovery

Yeah, I am assuming they are rated for recovery because what other reason would they be there for. Where did you find the info that load is 5500lbs or 1.5x gvwr, is that for the front hooks/loops? How much does the average 5th gen 1500 weigh?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should never recover another vehicle when you're in reverse.

I've never heard this before - is this due to reverse gear ratio?

I'm always trying to learn more about recovery methods; I was on an overgrown fire road in my trail rig, no option to turn around and had to tug a truck back out of the brush the got stuck in. Other than gearing and the risk of something coming flying through the windshield - any other reason?

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I've never heard this before - is this due to reverse gear ratio?

I'm always trying to learn more about recovery methods; I was on an overgrown fire road in my trail rig, no option to turn around and had to tug a truck back out of the brush the got stuck in. Other than gearing and the risk of something coming flying through the windshield - any other reason?
LOL, those aren't enough reasons? But yes, gearing isn't built for heavy loads in reverse (reverse gear is the weak link in the tranny), and you can strip the teeth in the differential. I've seen pics of that. Also, usually the rear axle is rated for higher loads on vehicles, so better to have the strain on the back of your rig. I honestly don't know how much that factors in, but it's something to think about.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL, those aren't enough reasons?

Valid reasons no doubt lol, I use soft shackles + basically non-fling components + line weights to be safe. and in the off chance it needs to be a front pull, 4Lo as well. This is all in my trail rig, not my Rebel, so hearing about stripping teeth and R gears being physically weak, that's good to know!

Appreciate the knowledge! (y)

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Got "pulled" up a hill my truck couldn't make (2WD/Street Tires). I DID assist, so the hooks didn't take the full load - but they worked...

Rick

Rollint

Reaction score
Yeah, I am assuming they are rated for recovery because what other reason would they be there for. Where did you find the info that load is 5500lbs or 1.5x gvwr, is that for the front hooks/loops? How much does the average 5th gen 1500 weigh?

KOOPS

Reaction score
Last edited:

Rollint

Reaction score
Thanks, wonder how much these trucks generally weigh though. Is the load capacity of 5500 pounds enough for the front hooks?
I'd guess 6,000 to 7000 lbs...so hopefully rated for 1.5x gvwr lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can tell how much your truck weighs very easily.

If you have a 4x4 GVWR. Is 7100 pounds.

On your door jamb it will say what your payload is.

GVWR minus payload equals base weight.

So say your payload says 1450

7100-1450=5650.

I would assume they are rared for the 1.5 times GVWR though. That would be my guess.

RSConsulting

Reaction score

"Tow Hooks are rated with a towing capacity up to 5,500 pounds or 1.5 times the vehicles GVWR (depending on vehicle). These tow hooks securely mount to the frame and are fully tested for durability and load capacity."

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I read this to mean 5,500 lbs. per hook and that you should use some kind of bridle to distribute the weight between both hooks to be safe.

I think most folks would use a tow rope hooked to BOTH HOOKS - and attached to the hitch (or rear tow hooks if available) of the tow vehicle. Depends on what kind of mess you're getting dragged out of really.

And if you're "assisting" (ie: on the gas) the person who's towing, then they're really not pulling your "gross weight".

Absent a better explanation from RAM - if they claim the hooks (both) are capable of supporting the weight of the truck, then with my registration claiming 7K GVW - they'd better support 5.5K each for a "dead pull".

Haven't heard of anyone actually breaking one...

Rick

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use a short strap to connect to both hooks for equalization( the strap and hooks are rated for more weight that way) and a long rope tied with the equalized rope for the vehicle recovering you. Always works better to get pulled from the middle... never use a tow hitch ball to pull either because you can hit a bump and have the strap fly off.

Rollint

Reaction score
I think most folks would use a tow rope hooked to BOTH HOOKS - and attached to the hitch (or rear tow hooks if available) of the tow vehicle. Depends on what kind of mess you're getting dragged out of really.

And if you're "assisting" (ie: on the gas) the person who's towing, then they're really not pulling your "gross weight".

Absent a better explanation from RAM - if they claim the hooks (both) are capable of supporting the weight of the truck, then with my registration claiming 7K GVW - they'd better support 5.5K each for a "dead pull".

Haven't heard of anyone actually breaking one...

Rick
I doubt this. Most folks would tie a tow strap to a recovery hook and yank.

Rollint

Reaction score
Then they don't know what they're doing and should do some research before off-roading where recovery might be required.
You're correct...I see people off-road who don't know what they are doing all the time. The number of times I see people use a tow strap instead of a recovery/kinetic strap is astounding.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I doubt this. Most folks would tie a tow strap to a recovery hook and yank.

I can't dispute the experience of off-roaders - because I don't offroad myself (never have - unless you count dirt bikes in my younger days).

I got "stuck" going up a gravel driveway at a friends mountainside home in NC. Her BF backed down the hill with a 4X (and offroad tires), threw a rope through both tow hooks, and dragged me the rest of the way up, with me assisting with some gas (and not wheelspin). He likely could have dead pulled me in N, but it went a lot easier with some assistance on my part to be sure.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread