5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 RAM 1500 Bighorn Tuner Upgrade

Reaction score
5th Gen Guys,
Been searching around the different forums looking for clear answers and see a lot of great opinions but remain a little confused. Hoping to get some clarification.
So I bought the 2020 5.7 E torque Ram Big Horn 1500 with 3.92. Like so many others tired of the poor throttle response and was looking to install a pedal commander.
For couple hundred dollars more I could install a tuner which would add a little bit of HP as well as resolve the poor throttle response issue. I don’t want to swap out the PCM if I don’t have to.
Has anybody tried a tuner that would add a little more HP and get rid of the throttle issue. Looking for a tuner that also would also take into account Bigger tire change and 3.92 gear.
Thanks All !!

Reaction score
I cannot help you with the second part of your question, but one of the things I like about my Pedal Commander is the ability to change the setting based on my mood/need. I find myself running in ECO mode if I'm doing a lot of metro driving, but most times I leave it on City Mode +3. Then, if I'm feeling a little froggy some days, I'll use Sport mode.

Coog61

Reaction score
I cannot help you with the second part of your question, but one of the things I like about my Pedal Commander is the ability to change the setting based on my mood/need. I find myself running in ECO mode if I'm doing a lot of metro driving, but most times I leave it on City Mode +3. Then, if I'm feeling a little froggy some days, I'll use Sport mode.

Did you consider any of the other (cheaper) ones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Appreciate the reply. Yes I am leaning more towards the pedal commander but before I spend the money looking to see if I can get the same out of a tuner without having to replace a PCM.
Did you consider any of the other (cheaper) ones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cheaper Tuner? No. Wanted to see what other people were using before I spent the money.

Mannyman

Reaction score
i have heard good things about the Pulsar piggyback. You will have to remove your PCM just to mount the piggyback pulsar pc to it but you will get better throttle response and hp increase around 30 hp. You can also turn off MDS, calibrate wheels. etc. check them out. I currently own the pedal commander and i like it. At the time, i got it just because of the throttle response but now that ive added a few more mods to my truck, im looking into the pulsar or the diablo sports PCM swap Tune. It all depends on what you want from it. better throttle respone? pedal commander. more options? Pulsar which i forgot to mention also lets you change settings by using your steering wheel cruise control buttons and you can the changes being made on your display.

FishOn

Reaction score
Lots of people talk -ish about the Pulsar but I freaking love mine. The only "tune" i found that didn't require either a separate PCM or pulling yours and having it reflashed.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies. With the Pulsar, is there a model #?
Is the calibration for gears and tire size done through the dash or is done through another device like a lap top?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel the PC is overpriced for what it is, but it does a fantastic job. There have been many on this forum that have had problems with the Pulsar. do some research before you commit.

no harm in trying the PC, if you do not like it, they sell quickly here.
I have run my PC at city +3, and have had no need to mess with it. very pleased, as are many others.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
i have heard good things about the Pulsar piggyback. You will have to remove your PCM just to mount the piggyback pulsar pc to it but you will get better throttle response and hp increase around 30 hp. You can also turn off MDS, calibrate wheels. etc. check them out. I currently own the pedal commander and i like it. At the time, i got it just because of the throttle response but now that ive added a few more mods to my truck, im looking into the pulsar or the diablo sports PCM swap Tune. It all depends on what you want from it. better throttle respone? pedal commander. more options? Pulsar which i forgot to mention also lets you change settings by using your steering wheel cruise control buttons and you can the changes being made on your display.
Reading this forum will lead you to believe that the Pulsar is nothing but BAD NEWS. Most folks that bought them appear to have had several issues and got rid of them. There are few in the minority that are happy like @FishOn. As much as I like tinkering with trucks, spending the money on the Pulsar would not be my choice.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I feel the PC is overpriced for what it is, but it does a fantastic job. There have been many on this forum that have had problems with the Pulsar. do some research before you commit.

no harm in trying the PC, if you do not like it, they sell quickly here.
I have run my PC at city +3, and have had no need to mess with it. very pleased, as are many others.
I LOVE my Pedal Commander and highly recommend. Obviously not a tune, but it sure as he** wakes up this truck! I played with mine for several weeks before settling on Sport +1. I believe you can return the PC for up to 30-days if you don't like it and they are on Amazon too.

FishOn

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies. With the Pulsar, is there a model #?
Is the calibration for gears and tire size done through the dash or is done through another device like a lap top?
I think the PN is 32453... All speedo/tire size/etc adjustments are done with the steering wheel buttons and the gas pedal. You can buy an ODBII plug (mine is labeled Holley) to flash the latest firmware on the Pulsar after it's installed.
IMO, it's pretty cool being able to shift from Perf mode to Stock on the fly... Parking lots, traffic, etc. the Perf is pretty touchy. 2 clicks on the CC buttons, STOCK MDS OFF mode. It;s also nice to be able to "back it off" for oil changes, tire service, etc... Or the wife.

Users who are viewing this thread