5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 JEEP Gladiator (JT) or 2019 RAM 1500 (DT)

BlckDT

Reaction score
So over the last year I have set my eyes on getting a truck, fullsize or midsize. I have never owned a truck, mainly SUV's (JEEP) and my intentions were simple, with tasks that most of the fullsize and midsize vehicles could perform.
  • Daily Driver (40 mile round trip to work/home)
  • Haul my family (Wife, 1 year old, me)
  • Road trip vacations (typically 500-700 mile round trips)
  • Room for rear/forward facing car seat
  • Bed for utilization of small-medium yearly tasks (yearly 4 yards of mulch, home improvement items, kids stuff back/forth to family houses, few times per year large items, help haul brother-in-law Quads/trailer)
Coming from Jeep, my initial intent was the 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT. I have been eyeing a Jeep Truck for years and knew the Gladiator was on its way. However, upon the release of the 19' RAM, my Jeep direction became clouded. This is where I began my nearly 6 month long intense research on both vehicles. To my surprise, along with my wife and friends, I pulled the trigger on the 19' RAM 1500. I recently had some slight buyers remorse and thought should I have gotten the Jeep Gladiator.... But after my wife's ecstatic praise of how roomy and nice the RAM is, I feel my choice was solid.

In no way am I stating that the Jeep Gladiator and Ram 1500 are comparable vehicles. But to me these were the two vehicles I was ready to put my money on. I am happy with the RAM and love the Hemi, Pano roof, Large interior, Tow rating, Bed size, and interior creature comforts. For the money, it was well worth moving into it.

Just wanted to write out my thoughts and thanks to this forum for being a great inspiration for my decision!! :)

THIS WAS THE GLADIATOR I ALMOST BOUGHT:
JeepGladiator.jpg

THE 19' RAM 1500 I ENDED UP BUYING:
Ram1500.jpg

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Gorgeous truck wow. Congratulations and welcome.

I know the Gladiators are kick a** and when you see more of them running around you might be oscillating back and forth again but for the family, day in day out driver, features per dollar I think the ram is an excellent choice and one you will be happy with long term.

Great choice and again congratulations on your new truck and more importantly, happy wife !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cravenschild

Reaction score
I think you made the right choice. Personally I didn't really like the style of the Gladiator much and would probably prefer a Jeep without the truck bed. I just got my blacked out Big Horn last week and couldn't be happier with it. Congrats on the new ride and enjoy!

tolh13

Reaction score
I have been a jeep owner all my life 8 wranglers, cj5 ,cj8 scrambler, Comanche and 2 grand Cherokees and i was going to buy the new gladiator but after test driving the ram and with the price difference ( 10k off sticker ram vs sticker on the jeep) the ram is a much better buy hands down but the jeep would likely as always be more fun but less practical. im sure i will own a gladiator in a few years but right now price ,size , comfort and practicality wins. P.S. i still have a wrangler tj for for fun.

2wd

Reaction score
You ended up with Batman's truck.Wow

The gladiator is an awesome vehicle but I do a lot of HWY driving and the reporting roof howling at high speeds would be a dealbreaker.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So over the last year I have set my eyes on getting a truck, fullsize or midsize. I have never owned a truck, mainly SUV's (JEEP) and my intentions were simple, with tasks that most of the fullsize and midsize vehicles could perform.
  • Daily Driver (40 mile round trip to work/home)
  • Haul my family (Wife, 1 year old, me)
  • Road trip vacations (typically 500-700 mile round trips)
  • Room for rear/forward facing car seat
  • Bed for utilization of small-medium yearly tasks (yearly 4 yards of mulch, home improvement items, kids stuff back/forth to family houses, few times per year large items, help haul brother-in-law Quads/trailer)
Coming from Jeep, my initial intent was the 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT. I have been eyeing a Jeep Truck for years and knew the Gladiator was on its way. However, upon the release of the 19' RAM, my Jeep direction became clouded. This is where I began my nearly 6 month long intense research on both vehicles. To my surprise, along with my wife and friends, I pulled the trigger on the 19' RAM 1500. I recently had some slight buyers remorse and thought should I have gotten the Jeep Gladiator.... But after my wife's ecstatic praise of how roomy and nice the RAM is, I feel my choice was solid.

In no way am I stating that the Jeep Gladiator and Ram 1500 are comparable vehicles. But to me these were the two vehicles I was ready to put my money on. I am happy with the RAM and love the Hemi, Pano roof, Large interior, Tow rating, Bed size, and interior creature comforts. For the money, it was well worth moving into it.

Just wanted to write out my thoughts and thanks to this forum for being a great inspiration for my decision!! :)

THIS WAS THE GLADIATOR I ALMOST BOUGHT:
View attachment 26788

THE 19' RAM 1500 I ENDED UP BUYING:
View attachment 26789
I loved my Jeep; but it just can't match the comfort of the RAM.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I totally feel you on each and every point, very well put. I love jeeps, their suvs and wranglers and have owned both and will again in the future. I wanted to love the gladiator, seemed like a great idea, but I’m just not loving it. Maybe it will take some time to grow on me. It just looks like a wrangler with trailer hitched to it. I think they should have modified the front. Anyway, just my opinion.

What I can say without debate though is that you made an awesome choice. Your truck looks great! Enjoy it.

Cravenschild

Reaction score
I totally feel you on each and every point, very well put. I love jeeps, their suvs and wranglers and have owned both and will again in the future. I wanted to love the gladiator, seemed like a great idea, but I’m just not loving it. Maybe it will take some time to grow on me. It just looks like a wrangler with trailer hitched to it. I think they should have modified the front. Anyway, just my opinion.

What I can say without debate though is that you made an awesome choice. Your truck looks great! Enjoy it.

Yea, maybe it is just the fact that I am used to seeing Jeeps as they have been, but the gladiator look like someone tried to take their wrangler and mod it into a truck and ended up with an awkward box on wheels or a reborn OG Hummer. The RAM is far more comfortable.

BlckDT

Reaction score
Only 3.6 available in Gladiator?

Yes. That was another slightly deciding factor. I had the same 3.6L in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and now I would have carried the same engine in a much heavier vehicle. Sure, gas mileage would have been decent, but I'm getting good mileage on my 19' Hemi....

THANKS EVERYONE, for commenting. I am truly happy with my RAM purchase and love everything about it. The community has been very helpful for me as I transition away from Jeep :) haha.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a jeep guy, but until they put a HEMI in that thing, not interested. Also, ram is so much more comfortable.

M0brando

Reaction score
I'm a "Jeep nut" having had every model from a CJ3A through JL and plenty of Cherokees, Comanches, J10's and Grand Wags as well. My last 5 years of truck need has gone to Tacomas and Tundras. I bought my first ever Ram in December and everyone keeps waiting for me to jump to the Gladiator but it isn't going to happen. Value in room, power, comfort, and features dollar to dollar the Ram wins every time. Good choice with the Ram -- get whatever flavor of Jeep you want on the side for a toy and you'll be happy you didn't spend Gladiator-level $$ on your toy!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think just about all of us have arrived to the same conclusions as OP did!

I like Jeep Wrangler, I think they're awesome vehicles, I'm super glad they made the Jeep Gladiator and I look forward to seeing it on the road.

But. The prices are kind of close, and the Jeep is a essentially a midsize truck, with a mid size engine with midsize capability, midsize interior space - kinda large in exterior size, almost fullsize pricetag too.
If you want a Jeep, and also want to pick up? It's still pretty good (but again I think it needs a hemi option).
But for a close price difference you can step into more power, space, comfort, capability, features, on road comfort - if you can forgive less offroad prowess.

But if you were solidly in the mid size truck camp? I think it's gotta be the best off roader if you HADTO pick one, sorry Toyota, sorry chevy.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you made the right choice. I love the idea of the Gladiator and think it would be cool and fun but it really doesn’t compare to the Ram. When you really compare it, the Ram crushes it and is the way more refined, comfortable and livable vehicle. What really surprised me is the cost of the gladiator. I can’t believe the sticker gets to 60k. They have priced it way too aggressively and in my opinion, I cannot justify that vehicle costing 5k more than my Ram with so many deficiencies.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you made the right choice. I love the idea of the Gladiator and think it would be cool and fun but it really doesn’t compare to the Ram. When you really compare it, the Ram crushes it and is the way more refined, comfortable and livable vehicle. What really surprised me is the cost of the gladiator. I can’t believe the sticker gets to 60k. They have priced it way too aggressively and in my opinion, I cannot justify that vehicle costing 5k more than my Ram with so many deficiencies.

And some places are selling it for 20k OVER MSRP :eek:

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you made the right choice. Personally I didn't really like the style of the Gladiator much and would probably prefer a Jeep without the truck bed. I just got my blacked out Big Horn last week and couldn't be happier with it. Congrats on the new ride and enjoy!
I think the Gladiator is ugly and over priced. I think you made the right choice!

maddog49

Reaction score
I looked up the towing capacity on the new jeep and was surprised go see it's about the same as a minivan. Why have a truck that cant tow? Otherwise just get a wrangler and be done with it. Also needs a larger engine option for sure. I like jeeps but don't quite get this one.

Users who are viewing this thread