5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 EcoDiesel 3.0 Oil Recommendations

heffy

Reaction score
Based on what I'm seeing online, it doesn't have that MS-12991 approval so id personally stay away if vehicle is still under warranty. Napa has Pennzoil 5w40 Euro on sale for 7.69qt if you happen to have one of those nearby. Or just order Quakerstate 5w40 from Walmart for $22 a gallon and call it done.
Thanks Tom, good info

John Jensen

Reaction score
Food for thought:
A forum member, I forget what forum, called Motori to discuss the Eco and oils.
Motori told him to stop using USA oils and to use any Synthetic European oil, 5W-40, meeting MS-12991.
I should have saved what Motori said about the benefits to the Eco when using European oil, it was impressive.
The forum member took Moritori's advice and reported all that Motori said is true.
I'm ready for an oil change so, like Tom, I ordered Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil, 5-Quart, 22.97 Walmart & Amazon. Why QS, it was the cheapest and meets MS-12991.
I searched for the member's report but could not find it. If I run across it I will post it here.

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Food for thought:
A forum member, I forget what forum, called Motori to discuss the Eco and oils.
Motori told him to stop using USA oils and to use any Synthetic European oil, 5W-40, meeting MS-12991.
I should have saved what Motori said about the benefits to the Eco when using European oil, it was impressive.
The forum member took Moritori's advice and reported all that Motori said is true.
I'm ready for a change so, like Tom, I ordered Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil, 5-Quart, 22.97 Walmart & Amazon. Why QS, it was the cheapest and meets MS-12991.
I searched for the member's report but could not find it. If I run across it I will post it here.

The interesting thing about that is when the Gen 3 engine came out, the official U.S. spec for oil changed to exactly what you describe: A European 5W40 with the 12991 certification. Problem is, almost everyone who has used those gasoline engine oils in the EcoDiesel have found high amounts of metals in their oil samples, even beyond the first couple of oil cycles. This seems to indicate that the engine is wearing very quickly and those 12991 spec'd oils can't properly protect the diesel engine (OR perhaps there's just an inherent design flaw in the engine which would not surprise me either). In my own oil analysis reports, I always saw high aluminum content. It was worrisome. And I even tried high dollar luxury oils like Motul Xcess, etc.

gorilla57

Reaction score
I've been using Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-40 since my first oil change. I can't remember why I ended up with Total, but I did a bunch of reading on the "approved" oils and chose that. I think it was something off of BITOG.

Paco

Reaction score
I used T-6 on my 2014 eco.
It did not use oil, and I sold it running strong at 295,000 Kms.
Hard towing miles.
GDE tune.
Are we overthinking things???

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used T-6 on my 2014 eco.
It did not use oil, and I sold it running strong at 295,000 Kms.
Hard towing miles.
GDE tune.
Are we overthinking things???
No..I think guys just want to use recommend oil for warranty purposes. T6 is not approved for the Gen 3 ED.

I've been running Quaker state euro 5w40 and it meets specification..easily available and goes on sale regularly.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

MXZGUY

Reaction score
No..I think guys just want to use recommend oil for warranty purposes. T6 is not approved for the Gen 3 ED.

I've been running Quaker state euro 5w40 and it meets specification..easily available and goes on sale regularly.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Also in the owners manual it states the MS-12991 and also the API-SP. I was using for the first change Amsoil but that was coded as API-SN and since I have switched to the Quaker state oil now. Which QS oil states on the outside of their container MS-12991 and the API-SP. This owners manual is out of my 2022 ECO Diesel Limited also. 0430231615~2.jpg -12991 and API-SP.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Also in the owners manual it states the MS-12991 and also the API-SP. I was using for the first change Amsoil but that was coded as API-SN and since I have switched to the Quaker state oil now. Which QS oil states on the outside of their container MS-12991 and the API-SP. This owners manual is out of my 2022 ECO Diesel Limited also. View attachment 157758 -12991 and API-SP.
Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40
Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 .jpg

Paco

Reaction score
Another.https://www.idparts.com/shell-rotella-full-synthetic-5w40-quart-68001332pa-550049479-p-5885.html

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

tom318

Reaction score
Came across castrol edge 5w40 European at Walmart the other day. $28 for a gallon. Looks like it had the certs needed. I didn’t buy any as I just did a change but maybe once I get through my Quakerstate stash I’ll give it a try.
IMG_6529.jpeg

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Came across castrol edge 5w40 European at Walmart the other day. $28 for a gallon. Looks like it had the certs needed. I didn’t buy any as I just did a change but maybe once I get through my Quakerstate stash I’ll give it a try.
View attachment 168503

Not sure if it makes any difference if it is Quaker State or what your showing Castrol as long as it meets Chrysler specs. MS-12991.

tom318

Reaction score
Probably not, just another option available locally for a reasonable price. I used a lot of the QuakerState as I bought a ton when it was on sale but based on the oil analysis it doesn't seem to be to great. I have 1 more oil change worth of Quaker State and after that I may move to this Castrol or spend the big$$ for Amsoil and see how they all compare.

KOOPS

Reaction score
Probably not, just another option available locally for a reasonable price. I used a lot of the QuakerState as I bought a ton when it was on sale but based on the oil analysis it doesn't seem to be to great. I have 1 more oil change worth of Quaker State and after that I may move to this Castrol or spend the big$$ for Amsoil and see how they all compare.
Does AmSoil make one that meets spec? MS-12991 and the API-SP

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Does AmSoil make one that meets spec? MS-12991 and the API-SP

My first oil change I used Amsoil but after 3500 miles I switched to Quaker oil because of the MS-12991. And if you go to Amsoil website they really do not list a oil for the Eco diesel in the 2020 through 2023 years. Punch in the 5.7 Hemi and boom many shows up then. But to answer your question I really do not think they even list a oil with the MS-12991 on their containers.

tom318

Reaction score
The 5w40 Euro from them doesn’t specify the 12991 spec but it is API -SN. When I put my truck info in it does come up as an available engine oil. I’m about out of my warranty period and the 12991 spec is “recommended” but not required so I would be okay using it myself especially based on some analysis results I’ve seen from others. That being said all these oils seem to do the job so it might just be a mind game(marketing). The results came back better in some cases but it’s not like the Quakerstate failed and the oils still had life in it when changed. I’m at 85k now and so far so good (hopefully) The only issues that seem to be showing themselves are emissions related but even still all is good with no solid failures.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
No. I emailed Amsoil a few weeks ago asking them if they had an oil product for the Gen 3 ECODiesel. They responded quickly and said they do not.

And this is why I switched to Quaker oil with the MS-12991 labeled on the container. Still in warranty. Actually, I am more worried about the fuel pump going 🔥 than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread