5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 EcoDiesel 3.0 Oil Recommendations

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where's the guy with 80k on his truck already and running T6 oil? I want to know more. I saw him on here last week I think but can't remember his user name.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where's the guy with 80k on his truck already and running T6 oil? I want to know more. I saw him on here last week I think but can't remember his user name.

Found him. He's actually on another forum. My bad. He's got 80k on his truck. Says he's run Rotella T6 in it since the very first oil change. Will put up his latest oil analysis when he gets it, hopefully soon. I can't wait to see it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I changed my oil early on the first cycle, then slowly started ramping up distance between changes. The Motul X-cess 5W40 did not look good to me. Iron and aluminum were high, moly (anti-wear) was low, and viscosity was low at the end of a 7,300 mile run. I towed a trailer a few times during that cycle, otherwise it was 50/50 city/highway commuting.

I'm not impressed with the Motul at all.

The Quaker State has a much more robust additive package, and I am now running it for testing. We'll soon see what analysis looks like on that oil for 1/3rd the price. Should be interesting....
That's dissapointing. I've always heard motul was premium stuff. Funny that Quaker state has performed better for 1/3 of the price.

heffy

Reaction score
I was really looking forward to using Shell Rotella T-6 in my new truck. I see it's not on the recommended list but it seems like a lot of people are using it. What your thought's on that, I worked at a Shell station in the 70's and the mechanic there loved it. I started using it in my Hemi (2004) every other oil chance once I hit 200,000 miles to keep it clean as the lifters were starting to chatter. along with some Rislone and seafoam that engine ran much more quiet and smoother and is still running today with over 300,000 If I don't use the Shell I think I'll go with Amsoil.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to using Shell Rotella T-6 in my new truck. I see it's not on the recommended list but it seems like a lot of people are using it. What your thought's on that, I worked at a Shell station in the 70's and the mechanic there loved it. I started using it in my Hemi (2004) every other oil chance once I hit 200,000 miles to keep it clean as the lifters were starting to chatter. along with some Rislone and seafoam that engine ran much more quiet and smoother and is still running today with over 300,000 If I don't use the Shell I think I'll go with Amsoil.
Nothing wrong with shell rotella, but if your motor blows and your not using the recommended oil the repair bill will be coming out of your pocket. I would prefer T6 myself, but with my extended warranty going out to 5 years and 200000km I’d rather play it safe.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah what he said ^^^. The issue is the potential for warranty coverage to be denied. The owners manual says that FCA material standard 12991 is "recommended" but that API rating SN is "required". Shell Rotella doesn't meet either.

mrfreon

Reaction score
FYI, my local Advanced Auto has pennzoil platinum euro in 5 quart jugs for $40 each. It's not shown on their website so you'll need to visit the store to find it.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah what he said ^^^. The issue is the potential for warranty coverage to be denied. The owners manual says that FCA material standard 12991 is "recommended" but that API rating SN is "required". Shell Rotella doesn't meet either.
I'd laugh if it actually got to court though. My 2020 ram manual says to use rotella no less than 3 times. Get an API "expert" to tell the court what the SN rating means and what its for, its for gas engines not a diesel. SN isn't rated at all for soot load or other problems and issues diesel in the C-X ratings are.

They really need to stop lettings interns cut and paste the manuals and let an engineer do it.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd laugh if it actually got to court though. My 2020 ram manual says to use rotella no less than 3 times. Get an API "expert" to tell the court what the SN rating means and what its for, its for gas engines not a diesel. SN isn't rated at all for soot load or other problems and issues diesel in the C-X ratings are.

They really need to stop lettings interns cut and paste the manuals and let an engineer do it.
For those with the first and second edition owners manuals, both T6 and pennzoil euro are listed but in different areas. If it was a big deal I’d assume all truck owners with the misprinted manuals would have gotten a letter in the mail and a copy of the updated owners manual. Until that happens, running anything listed in your owners manual is perfectly fine.

The later trucks tho will have received a more recent owners manual that only states pennzoil euro 5w40 api SN is to be used. If one of these trucks has issues during the warranty period and ram decides to deny the claim based on the wrong oil (rotella T6) not even the worlds best oil expert could argue against what is in the manual, even if T6 is a better diesel oil. (Which it has proven over the years)

I know api rates the euro oil as SN, but pennzoil states right on the bottle that it is fine in modern diesels. We’ll have to rack up some more miles before we see any possible emissions systems issues.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All a good lawyer has to do is PM me to borrow my manual.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To throw a wrench in the works, I’m looking closely at Mobil1 ESP advanced fuel economy 5w-30 as an alternative. The specs show it will meet ms-12991, but I doubt it will ever get that rating since they focus on heavy duty vehicles.

Rich6896

Reaction score
Here's a list from a FB group that a member posted. Thought I'd share his insight and wealth of knowledge for folks here. Thank you to William for posting in our FB group.

Oil Options for the MS-12991 Specification on the Gen3

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40

https://www.pennzoil.com/…/full…/pennzoil-platinum-euro.html

RAVENOL VollSynth Turbo VST SAE 5W-40
https://www.ravenolamerica.com/…/5w-40-motor-oil-ravenol-f…/
TOTAL Quartz 9000 Energy SAE 5W-40
http://catalog.lubricants.total.com/…/QUARTZ-9000-ENERGY-5W…
MOTUL 8100 X-Clean 5W-40
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/8100-x-clean-5w40
Quaker State Ultimate Durability EURO 5W-40
https://www.quakerstate.com/…/fd56c985174ce1ad3fdc2a4701707…
Havoline ProDS Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx…
CAM2 Blue Blood Elite Euro 5W-40
http://www.cam2.com/…/80565-382%20Blue%20Blood%20Euro%205W-…
FUCHS TITAN SuperSyn SAE 5W-40
https://www.fuchs.com/…/prod…/8867-titan-supersyn-sae-5w-40/
Red Line Oil 5w40 Motor Oil
https://www.redlineoil.com/5w40-motor-oil
ELF Evolution 900 FT 5W-40
http://www.lubs-products-database.total.com/…/v…/34500/34510
ELF Evolution 900 SXR 5W-40
http://www.lubs-products-database.total.com/…/v…/21500/21994
VALVOLINE Advanced Full Synthetic MST 5W-40
Visual evidence from Shawn Crowe - website does not list product yet.
MOPAR MaxPro 5w40 P/N 68231020AA
Pulled that one directly from the owners manual.
Those are currently all the oils I can find who’s marketing information clearly states it is for use with the MS-12991 Specification.
IF you find another, please let me know so that I may update the list. If one of these falls off the list, likewise, please tell me!
Unofficial Lists: These Oils have been personally confirmed to meet the specifications, but the marketing materials do not indicate this at this time:
LIQUI-MOLY LEICHTAUF HIGH TECH SAE 5W-40
Confirmed via email 04/07/2020- information forwarded to ask for materials update to reflect compatibility.
TRIAX Euro LX 5W-40
Confirmed via email 04/07/2020- information forwarded to ask for materials update to reflect compatibility.
TRIAX Euro Ultra VX 5W-40
AMSOIL 5W-40 Classic European Engine Oil (EFM)
Confirmed via email 04/07/20 - will be in next update of product data sheets.
AMALIE Elixir Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40
Confirmed via email 04/08/2020 - will not be included on product data sheets.
Millers Oil Trident 5w40 Fully Synthetic
Confirmed via email 04/08/2020 - also will not be included on datasheet as best I can indicate.
The Quaker State Euro in back in stock on Walmart online. I don't even own a truck yet and I bought 20 quarts

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Quaker State Euro in back in stock on Walmart online. I don't even own a truck yet and I bought 20 quarts
Better stock up on filters from somewhere also. I ordered some two weeks ago and have no anticipated ship date yet. The original ship estimate was 1 to 2 months.

tom318

Reaction score
Better stock up on filters from somewhere also. I ordered some two weeks ago and have no anticipated ship date yet. The original ship estimate was 1 to 2 months.
I was able to order 3 from diesel filters online 2 weeks ago (4/12). Received them within a few days. Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment. Keep an eye on them.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to order 3 from diesel filters online 2 weeks ago (4/12). Received them within a few days. Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment. Keep an eye on them.
They were out of stock when I placed my order elsewhere. The rep from dieselfiltersonline told me it would be about a month before some came in. I must’ve called them either before of after you ordered. I ended up ordering some wholesale from the dealer because they had low stock and had them allocated to the service department. They did the same thing to me when I tried to buy a spare PCM they had in stock. Seems they’re afraid of getting stock.

LX Sport

Reaction score
I got a Docs Diesel filter the other day, only took a few days to show up. Rated at 25 microns.

Stopped into the local dealer last week and they didnt have any filters and still dont, they said they found one and ordered it but havent called me back yet.

heffy

Reaction score
On Advanced Auto web site it say's Fram Full Synthetic 5W-40 European oil is a match for the 2022 Eco diesel but I do see MS 12991 on the bottle. Anyone know if it's approved or not?

tom318

Reaction score
On Advanced Auto web site it say's Fram Full Synthetic 5W-40 European oil is a match for the 2022 Eco diesel but I do see MS 12991 on the bottle. Anyone know if it's approved or not?
Based on what I'm seeing online, it doesn't have that MS-12991 approval so id personally stay away if vehicle is still under warranty. Napa has Pennzoil 5w40 Euro on sale for 7.69qt if you happen to have one of those nearby. Or just order Quakerstate 5w40 from Walmart for $22 a gallon and call it done.

Users who are viewing this thread